- advertisement -

Revel Pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I've been searching on the CWD site and I'm not finding much info on the Revel pump from you guys.
    So those of you that have it, what do you think is better or different about it?
    I see the option for different basal settings, graphs, and alarms.
    Are the alarms louder than the previous pump?
    Let me know what you think. Thanks!

2. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

In bolus wizard set up, carbs can be set to tenths. So, we could give 1 unit of insulin for every 5.5 carbs.:cool:

Alarms are not louder.

But, I love the predictive alarms on the pump--so nice!

The smaller basal and bolus increments are nice--even though Liv takes much more insulin than babies, toddlers, or honeymooning amounts.

Active Insulin shows on the status screen.

It has a capture event feature and one can just enter a BG to be recorded--I like this logging feature for upload to Carelink.

I think the set change process is easier for those who may need to change a set; but don't do it very often.

I know I am forgetting features...I am sure others will chime in...or I'll remember and post...

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Let me think:

0.025 basal increments
    0.025 bolus increments
    Ability to adjust I:Cs in tenths of a unit once they're above a certain thresholds
    Predictive CGM alarms
    Rate of change CGM alarms
    Ability to set low/high threshold at different levels for different times of the day.
    Ability to turn off low/high alarm for a set period of time. (This one is SO nice! If you get a predicted low and treat, you can then turn the low alarm off for a half hour. Because the CGM is behind, otherwise you'd get a predicted low and then a low alarm, even though you had already treated. Same goes for high. This is completely seperate from the setting where you decide how often it realarms for a high and low.)
    3, 6, 12, and 24 hour sensor graph screens.
    Ability to set the CGM graph as your "home" screen
    IOB on status screen
    Lots more statistical information available on the pump/receiver itself

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I haven't posted much because I am still getting use to it - I am turning on the predictive alarms this weekend - we have had some issues this year at school so adding another layer is not good right now.

I love the smaller doses and he takes advantage of it everytime we bolus. I also have really liked the smaller basals. I recently did some basal adjusting and it was nice to go up in 0.025 increments. I would say for the first time I adjusted his basals without having "low" spots where I would have to get creative with my basal patterns - or get frustrated because it wasn't what it should be but it was the best we could do because there was no inbetween option. Last year we had hours without any basal just to avoid lows.

I don't think the alarms are any louder and we are still using the Radio Shack Mic System to hear them. I do like to see some of the other screens and like the additional setting options for setting alarms at different times of the day.

I forgot to add I love the missed bolus alarm - now that he is trying to be more independent - there have been 1-2 times where I tell him to bolus, carbs, etc and he gets distracted and forgets.

It works just like the 522 - I had no problems setting up the pump and begin using it. They have added some additional button pushing when you are changing the site - like having to say Yes before you fill the tubing, or Yes to say it is disconnted.

Again, I am very anxious to start the predictive alarms...especially at night.

EDIT** I forgot about the linking meter - although I think they could have made a better meter - I love the linked meter and my son loves it too. In fact, we got a second one for school.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Love all the features listed except the alarms are not louder, and are at a slightly different pitch. This makes it harder for me to hear them overnight even with the radio shack wireless lapel mic and baby monitor.:mad:

It baffles me why they would not fix such a major problem.

otherwise, very good pump.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I owuld like to post about this but I was supposed to have recieved it on Tuesday and it's Friday and it still hasn't come!!! :mad: I let you know how I like it--when/if it ever shows up.

I am so looking forward to having the meter linked again. That's going to be my favorite part and really why I sprung for the 400 beans.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The ONLY reason I can think of as to WHY they haven't made the alarms louder is the possibility of them being TO loud while not sleeping.. if the alarms are louder, and you're working in an office, its probably disrubtive.. Having Kaylee's alarm go off while we are out, at dinner, movies, library, they are quite loud LOL.. the only time they aren't loud enough is bed time..

So this is the only reason why I think they haven't made them louder.. the stupid MySentry is suppose to fix that problem.. I wish they'd release that soon!

There is also definitely a difference between being on a person, in a pouch or a clip and it sitting on a table.. our guadian is louder than the pump, my guess is because its not muffled by a pump pouch or clip.

8. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

I was told once by a Rep that the alarm volume is limited by the small size of the speaker (due to the small nature of the pump) AND the water tight casing. That makes sense to me, although I still need a louder alarm, especially at night! Looking forward to the MySentry, as I think it'll be a REALLY nice option for parents. Waiting semi-patiently...

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Do you know what the carb ratio has to be to use tenths? I sure could use that right now. But, at at high levels like 1 per 23

10. Flutterby

Its not done by ratio, but by dose.. I believe..

Its under 1u is done by .025, 1-10u is .05 and above 10u is .1.. I THINK.. we don't have the revel yet..I've seen it explained on here before, hopefully I remember it right. :D

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Kim, actually I'm talking about the I:Cs. Like I think you can set an I:C of 1:5.2 or 1:6.4. But only for the really low ratios.

Carol, let me look. I think I know where that info is. ETA: It's for ratios 1:10 and lower. Link.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  12. Flutterby

AAAHH.. how cool is that.. so you don't have to go up by 1 carb.. thats awesome!

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, the tenths start at 9 carbs! This morning I set the breakfast ratio to 9.5. That is cool.

Not sure I buy the small speaker reason for the alarms not being louder. Perhaps the pump wasn't made for the minority of us who need to be awakend with a low. Not trying to be dramatic, but to look from a dollars and cents POV. I think hypo unawareness is not the majority and so why have a feature that doesn't make the best economic sense. IMHO, of course.

In a perfect world we could set a volume depending on time of day.

14. Flutterby

DEFINITELY!! That would be great to have a 'night time' alarm!!

15. dianas

dianas Approved members

Totally agree with more customizable alarm options. I'm an adult pumper with no major hearing loss that I'm aware of and I can't hear the pump alarming at night either so it's not just parents who would like this feature. It's not a problem during the day but at night under the covers it's another story.

On the other hand I've been pumping with minimed for 8 years now so to be totally honest the problem could just be I've developed "selective hearing" in my old age.

Diana

16. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I agree. We can customize the alarms on our cellphones, but we can't on a $7,000 device?

17. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Thanks for your replies I appreciate it!
    (It's good to be back- thanks for the PM's and responses)

18. MiaDad

MiaDad Approved members

We had the Paradigm 522 and the next week the Revel was released so MM upgraded us - my daughter is 2 1/2, so there's not a lot of 'real-estate' in terms of eligible infusion sites so we're not on the CGM yet (although I cannot wait to get that - it would be so incredibly helpful) but the biggest benefit we've seen is the 0.025 increments that the Basal and Bolus can be set at. Huge difference for our little girl being able to fine tune it like that, but we're only about a month and a half in, and it's been a good couple of days, so I'm probably overly positive right now.

19. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

We just got ours; I'm still reading all of the documentation. It has some really cool features, but it's going to alarm even more than the last one! :eek:

20. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

We get our "upgrade" on Tuesday (finishing up our 18-month study on the 722 with CGMS). Can't wait to try the new features!