- advertisement -

Responding to post on service dog to all of you

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by happyfamily, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Happy Family - Welcome to our community. I hope you'll post on other threads and get support for raising a child with diabetes as well as being a spouse of a person with diabetes.

The allegations charged by the Attorney General are strong, but in the USA, one is innocent until proven guilty. I personally look forward to reading the defendant's response to these allegations. That said, I would not at this time trust anything HSP does with respect to their business or business practices.

How did you feel about raising $6000 that was unrefundable and then having to sign a contract? I would like to hear your response to what was written in the allegations.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Happy Family,

I'm glad you had a great experience with this company. However, I'm glad that the others have expressed their experiences also. It is important that we hear the good, the bad and the ugly about any type of company that we as families dealing with diabetes may deal with.

IMO, shame on them for demanding such a large amount of money from people who are usually cash strapped anyway from having to pay for diabetes supplies. Shame on them for not refunding money that the family raised! From the links the pp have listed, it is pretty obvious that there are many families that are disatisfied with HSP.

As for emails, here when you sign up, you have the option not to receive emails from other members. It's on the user CP section. Jeff is very good about the options he offers us to protect our privacy, it's up to you if you want emails from other members or not.

3. coni

coni Approved members

All I know is that HSP's situation has been great for the classes I teach in Business Law! It's an interesting case for discussions on sale of goods contracts and consumer protection. I am curious to see how the lawsuit will be resolved.

That being said, when there is a lawsuit, the sides are usually very polarized, and this forum has been privy to that already in prior posts. Happyfamily, I hope you understand that. I'm sure you would have received a different initial reaction if the timing had been different.

Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to hearing more about your family. It sounds like it has been rough.

4. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Hmm.. what I really dont like about this is this...

Required participants to sign contracts which provide that HSP retains ownership of the dogs provided to participants, even after completion of the program, but absolves HSP of any liability for the dogs, which they selected and trained, once the dogs go home with the participants; and

Sorry but if I pay $6k for a dog Im keeping it! a trained dog that is.

5. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

Happy Family, I have no comment on the service dog situation as I don't know much about alert dogs for the purpose of hypoglycemia. However, if your son is very brittle and has vast fluctuations in his sugar (which we have too but I don't call her brittle) perhaps you might like to join in some of the diabetes care conversations that we have. For me, my passion in coming here is for support/sharing/thoughts on my daughters diabetes care. That is what brings the majority of us here. The conversations about dogs/vacations etc are side points to the real reason we are here, they aren't the primary reason.

Cheers.

vettechmomof2 likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Yeah, that happened here in Colorado, Samantha goes to the same D camp as Jason. I actually posted that link in the last HSP thread that happyfamily started about this, but I don't think many folks saw it because the thread was locked soon thereafter. Turns out Jason's HSP dog, Jedi, bit him.

8. soulsfr

soulsfr Approved members

i am posting this to also say that my experience with hsp has been amazing. my son, justin, has a diabetic alert dog who is well trained and alerting. we have received assistance from the organization when asked. we have had to navigate some situations that required the expertise of the trainers from hsp! they have been insiteful and creative as well as age appropriate for my son.

i wonder how the court of law weighs out if the consumer just refuses to accept the resolution offer. i read from previous postings that 'hailey's mom' refused to accept hsp's offer to pay the fee required for a service dog from another agency (granted-it was less than the funds raised for hsp-but they did not accept this because they wanted to make a point). i also read that another family refused to accept another dog that was being trained for their daughter to replace the one removed. these consumers did not accept the offer of restitution-how will that contribute this 'cause?' i am not an expert in business law or consumer laws, but it appears that the families involved in filing the complaints may have purposly refused to accept the terms of a resolution.

9. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I do not know all of the situations concerning this but Hailey's mom had a considerable amount of monetary difference quoted as a resolution. That is not really resolving much from the company to the buyer. If the dog is being given to another, why not refund the full amount back, since the company will already be getting that amount twice now? Just some other thoughts.
    But I also am not in business law, i work with animals so maybe I am missing something vital. Although I do not believe so. That is a large amount of money to argue with.
    Allene

10. soulsfr

soulsfr Approved members

this money is donated from other individuals-this money would not go back to this family-haileys mom?! that would not be eithical either?!

this situation is easy to pass a quick judgement on-but it is complex and will be sorted out by the proper judicial process!

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

The money should be returned to all the individuals involved. End of story - that is not at all complex!

Since these threads keep getting locked - maybe it is time for those who wish to not let this subject close to just let it flippin close!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Amen to that, Sistah!

~~Becky~~

13. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I disagree. THe money was raised for those particular families to use for the idea of gaining a service dog. So, the money could be returned to gain another service dog.
    But it really feels like everything is just being argued fro the sake of argueing.:(
    Allene

14. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I totally agree with this, the money raised should go towards a service dog in which the family would actually receive, and get to keep.

16. soulsfr

soulsfr Approved members

i agree that a respectful resolution would be for the family to receive a service dog!

that is what hsp offered to do for this particular family-and they refused the offer. they were going to pay another organization for a service dog for this family. i guess that some people are NEVER satisfied.

i also agree that if the money was to be refunded-it should go to the individual who provided the donation-not the family for which it was earmarked. this is what these families are asking of hsp.

17. happyfamily

happyfamily Approved members

In response to your question about how I felt about raising $6,000.00 and then signing the contract. I called and asked every question that I could think of before we ever received our contracts. Most of the questions I asked were asked immediately after learning that we were approved for the February class and even before the fundraising got started. I can also say that I read and re-read my contracts and we even had others read the contract and these were Attorneys and they told us basically this. "Go out there and follow the program and make sure you understand what is expected of you even after you return home." We did not have any problems with this because as I believe I have mentioned earlier, every other organization we talked with either wanted $25,000.00-$30,000.00 up front or would not even talk with us because we were not local to their program. So I can say $6,000.00 was much better than that large amount.

18. Flutterby

obviously there are two sides to every story.. and you, or happyfamily, are hear to do damage control.. its getting very old..

[​IMG]

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

OMG Kim, I have to save that!

20. Flutterby

Honastly, I can't take credit for that..isn't it great?:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.