- advertisement -

Responding to post on service dog to all of you

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by happyfamily, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyfamily

happyfamily Approved members

I am here, however this is the first time I have had to get to a computer today. I will tell you why I have not been here before now. I have at times started to post on some of these sites, however each time, something stops me. I am sorry that each of you think that HSP put me up to posting on here but that is not the case. They had no idea. I know each of you have your own opinions and I respect that but understand that my family and community raised over $13,000.00 for this organization. I guess the reason why I felt so strongly about posting is because each time one of us who had a good experience with HSP had an article in our local papers or if it was even mentioned on the web, there was immediately an abundance of negative comments. I am sorry that it is not okay to post on this site a good experience and that you feel that since I have not posted here before that I am not a respected member of this community. I can say that I will think twice before posting on here again. To the comment that I had not entered a profile. Yes I have lived with Diabetes for over 13 years. My husband is Diabetic and my son was diagnosed at the age of 20 mths. old which I believe I indicated in my first post. I can assure you that I am very aware of how horrible this disease can be on families no matter whether it is the parent or the child that has been afflicted by it.

moco89 likes this.
  2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I've read the other posts, including yours, but didn't respond because I didn't want to get into anything. But the point people are trying to make is that your first post is supporting a company that required you to raise 13K for a D O G! That is horrifing to say the least. Yes, it does cost a lot to train a dog, but there is something that is NOT right about this company. To raise money for the purpose of getting a trained dog, that works well with the diabetic person, and the family, is the sole purpose. but when that does NOT happen, for any reason, that money should be returned. I've read both sides of the story, we've heard from numerous people that have had a good experience with HSP.. I'm sure it does happen. But the fact that they REFUSE to give back money that was given for the purpose of a trained D dog in wrong in so many ways. The fact that the DA is taking on the case, is a big, huge, sign that something is not right. I"m glad that you did get a dog that works well for your family, but just because someone didn't have the same experience, and quite frankly had a horrible experience in so many ways, don't call them out saying they have a vandetta against the company.. I've had horrible experience's with companys, and I will NOT keep quiet about it (and not necessarily diabetes related).. I don't want anyone to go through what we've gone through, if I can prevent it..

if you want to post, go ahead and posts.. but don't make your ONLY posts about HSPs.. it looks very suspicious that you were sent here by someone.. wether you were or not only you know...

Christopher likes this.
  3. happyfamily

I guess people will think what they want to. Let me ask you this question. How would it make you feel if someone emailed you privately but you had NO idea how they got your email address because you did not give it to them? This happened to me in regards to this situation. Also, I guess my main point is this---This group has gone above and beyond to get onto articles and basically call me and my family a liar about our dog being a service dog. That is what really bothers me. There are a myriad of things that have been said against me and my family and done to them as a result of my support of this organization. I will say this, after perusing some of these threads, I will be checking them and if I see a thread that I feel I should post on I will. Thank you for your response to my earlier post.

4. Flutterby

you just proved my point in your response, you are hear for the one reason, that is to defend HSP.. Obviously, this 'group' has had a horrible experience with HSP.. you had a good experience, I'm glad you did... but not everyone has the same experience. It makes me very concerned when a company is asking for a 'donation' in the 10k range for a dog..a 'donation' they don't have to pay taxes on.. I don't understand why THIS company asks for such a large donation when there are other company's that ask for none, or a much smaller amount (not even hitting the 1K range..)

actually, if you know how to do a search online, you can find anyone's email address..

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

No. Our intentions are not to call you a liar. I don't have a problem with you, and I don't think anyone else has a particular problem with you either. In fact, I'm glad to hear that your service dog helps your family. But, the point that some people on this board are trying to send is that HSP is requiring too much from the families for a service dog from an organization, that costs way too much money. Don't take any of it personally. We're not here to judge you, we're here to support diabetes and the stuff related to it, and some don't support HSP, obviously.

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

just how hard do you think it is to get an email addy? your IP and everything about you is public domiene once you hit enter butten on the keyboard.

that being said, I doubt that many "good" stories coming from the paw place outweighs the huge negative of taking money and not returning it and not placing the family with a dog that meets their needs... In my book, thats thievery, plain and simple. one word-REFUND!

Its unconcionable to take money from a CHILD.... and thats what happened. Money raised and donated to a child... so they could get a dog to help them with this disease. No matter how I twist and turn my head, I cant wrap my mind around this and even thinking it would be ok. Good bad or otherwise, how others are treated effect how I personally shop and deal with things...knowing this, there is no way, I would support an organization of such magnatude that would do this to a sick child.

7. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Anything that costs an arm and a leg and then doesn't work out, in my humble opinion, deserves a refund, especially when that money was raised with blood sweat and tears. Donators will not be so willing to donate again for anything when there is nothing to show for the money raised previously. That my friend is a severe breach of contract since the "meeting of the minds" required in a contract from what I've read is that a service dog will be provided with a "donation" of at least $8,000. When the dog doesn't fit, there is a breach of contract. I assume as well that the dog allotted (since it is already trained) goes to someone else for in excess of $8,000. That's called double dipping, again, IMHO. Glad you got a dog, glad it worked for you, extremely sorry that it didn't for quite a few that DESERVE to have that money refunded. HSP owes all donators an explaination as to WHY they refuse to refund. Doesn't bode well with me.......if for no other reason it is just plain WRONG!

8. happyfamily

Not saying that I would have chosen another organization; but where were all these other organizations that do not require money when we were so desperately looking for help for our child? Every organization that I spoke with either would not work with us because of where we lived or they required $25,000-$30,000.00 UP front. And yes I do take it personally when people make statements like some of the one's that have been made, not neccessarily on this site but on others.

KitKat likes this.
  9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

You shouldn't take it personally. They're just people's opinions. Unless you're the one operating the business/company and are having the complaints/problems imposed directly on the business, there's no reason to be offended. Just be a pleased customer, and don't worry about other people's problems :D. Just be thankful for that it worked out for you.

10. happyfamily

I thank God everyday because during the last year prior to receiving our Alert Dog, our son was hospitalized or had ER visits almost monthly or bi-monthly. He is a VERY BRITTLE diabetic. Our Endo has even said that our son is his ?mark kid. I would also like to say thank you to each of you for listening to what I had to say.

11. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Approved members

As I previously posted, I am happy that you are happy with your dog. It is comforting to know that your son is doing better. I am interested to know if his insulin dosages have changed since getting the dog. How are you avoiding the hospital visits? As a child of a type 1 diabetic as well as a parent of a son with diabetes I have lived with this disease my entire life. Whenever I hear the term brittle diabetes, I wonder how this diagnosis was made. Please understand I am not being confrontational, I am just wondering.

I am also concerned, as someone who has trained dogs that if in fact you rely solely on the dog to prevent lows and complications in your child that it may be a problem. If your animal were to get sick, even a simple cold his sense of smell will not be able to catch drops in time. these animals are excellent sources of comfort for our children in addition to an extra safe guard to catch lows but they will never be able to do it all.

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I am not trying to be rude or mean so please don't take my post that way BUT up until the recent thread about HSP taking the money of that family and refusing to give them a dog or a refund, there was nothing but good things about HSP on here and I know of a couple of people that had considered using them and had discussed that on here. Before that thread was posted I do not remember reading anything negative about HSP.

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I for one am not doubting you but having had experience with service dogs, I have never heard of anyone being charged for a service dog ever. I have a friend who is Deaf-Blind who has a seeing eye dog and he was never required to pay one cent. And he even spent 6 weeks in Michigan training with the dog he now has and it was covered by Seeing Eye Dogs.. Also my nephew has a seizure alert dog and not one cent was paid for him either. I know these kind of dogs are expensive to train and many dogs do not make the cut so to speak but to charge the person who needs that kind of help is not right.

14. haileysmom

haileysmom Approved members

15. Flutterby

WOW.. sounds like there are a lot of things in her contract that are illegal to have in there..

if you think about it, if you go and buy a $6,000 piece of furnature, a fridge, whatever, and you decide it doesn't fit your family, you return it, you get that money back.. heck, if you buy a $20,000 car, decide you don't like it, you've got 3 days to return it, and get your money back..

not returning someone's money is just wrong!

16. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I haven't read through all the threads you're talking about. It's great you've received a dog you are happy with - just as someone who hasn't looked into this $13,000!!! Wowzer! I'm really glad you're happy. Consider for a moment if someone were not happy or had a bad experience?

I will say once in awhile people will pop in and out and post regarding a particular company or situation and it can look very suspicious especially if there is no signature/additional information on diabetes diagnosis, etc... (which could be made up anyway:p) Just from people who are here for support it has a tendency to lack credibility. With the internet we can't really "see" you, ya know?

This really can be a wonderfully supportive and informative environment. I've learned so much from these wise folks. Although you've had a positive experience, I'd actually want to be warned against this company based on what the reality of what has transpired really is for all folks. That's a lot of money to lose, and diabetes supplies are not cheap - as we all know.

We really do care around here, and I'm sorry if based on the high emotions of the situation it hasn't come across that way. When there's money involved especially that much, in my opinion it's pretty understandable. :cwds::cwds: Thanks for posting though!!!

17. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wonder why???? Maybe it is time to look towards the organization to find out why the ABUNDANCE of negative comments.

This other family that has 'attacked' this organization via the Internet is not our problem here. And honestly, I do not care. Our problem here is that a trusted member of our community was taken EXTREME advantage of by this wonderful organization. No one has called you a liar, or even treated anything you said with any personal disrespect. And we won't.

If it is not on this site, then maybe it is time to let it go on this site!

With all of that said, feel free to post here about things relating to your child and the care that he receives. THAT IS WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR!

ETA: Thanks Ellen for the information - 5 families are used as EXAMPLES of numerous complaints received - so more than 5???? Really - this is one great org!

And not listed as a charitable organization or a professional fund raiser with the State? You're right - that's not criminal ~ Let's see - what else - no patent pending even though it is claimed, no ties to the the IAADP, even though it is listed on previous graduation certificates...do you really want me to go on?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  19. happyfamily

In response to the post that you are scared that we solely rely on our service dog to alert us of highs and lows. No that would be ludicrous of me. I can tell you this though. My child has gained a LARGE amount of independence since receiving his service dog. My son's insulin use has changed due to factors such as a growth spurt and him (my son) being sick. We are avoiding the hospital visits by my son's dog alerting us to these huge drops before they happen and also before these severe spikes. I never said this dog is alerting at 100% but he is definitely doing quite well. I can assure you that I have learned alot just from this post about the people here. And as for the continued doubting of me having any experience with Diabetes, I have lived with a Diabetic husband for 13 years and nearly lost him on a couple of occasions due to severe hypoglycemia. I am the one that has woke up in the middle of the night for many nights checking both my child and husband to make sure they are okay. I live eat, sleep and breath this disease and have for quite some time. As far as the BRITTLE diagnosis, my son's BG can be 250 one min. and 30 within 15 min. He can then go from 40 to 400 in the same time span with NO apparent reason.

20. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'm interested to hear what all the HSP supporters have to say now that lawsuits have been filed. Yep its all just malicious gossip :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.