advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resources for a child with type 1 and Down syndrome

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Does anyone have resources for supporting a child with type 1 diabetes and Down syndrome, especially at school?

If so, please share them here. We've been contacted by a family who is in need.

Thanks.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Oh so sorry this is a unique need. Have the parents tried the Down Syndrome Online sites? My best advice would be to contact by phone or letter a major diabetes center in a large University medical system and ask, if they have anyone on staff who has dealt with this. There are at least 10 major University Hospitals/Clinics that work on diabetes research, that is who I would target. NYC, Boston, Seattle, LA, San Fran, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Chicago, Florida, and I am sure I am missing a bunch.For specific legal advice, they need to contact an attorney who specializes in Public school issues. Without knowing their city hard to give a name. If they are in a public school all the National legislation should apply for the child, all the Downs Syndrome special needs and all the T1 special needs. If this is truly an issue, they need to get a really good attorney ASAP.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017