- advertisement -

Resisting The Urge To Test A Sibling of CWD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Jun 6, 2013.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Maybe you can do a walk in appt at the ped?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The best advice we can give you, and what is recommended by the admin of this site is this: If you are worried that your child has diabetes, take them to the doctor and have them tested.

3. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

she is going,now it is just a matter of when. I have simply freaked myself out

4. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

First of all, it's good that you are watching her, especially with those symptoms. But please don't panic yet. Our littlest one was showing some symptoms and we tested him and he was over 200. Yes, we started freaking out, got him into the ped endo that day. His A1C was okay then the next day he broke out with a fever and rash and ended up having hand, foot and mouth disease. He had some high blood sugars for a few days, then went back to normal. We testing him for antibodies and they were negative (but we're still keeping a close eye on him). Anyway, just wanted you to know that sometimes sickness can drive up blood sugars in "normal" people.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It she were my daughter, I would give her a good size glass of juice. OJ if she likes it. Then wait a while and test. My friend did that at my suggestion and her daughter was dx'd that day. 168 is too high to be comfortable for me. I test myself once in awhile and I have never been above 120 even after a big meal :(

She might just be sick, which can raise bg's in non diabetics. But better safe than sorry...(((((HUGS)))))

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm with Heather on giving her a big glass of OJ and testing. There's no way I could sit around and wait a couple of weeks.

7. wearingtaci

I would love to do the juice thing,but I still can't find out what "normal"is.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Well lab requisitions here state that anything under 198 is normal (for a random blood sugar). But to me 198 seems to high to be considered normal

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Reference values [edit]

The reference values for a "normal" random glucose test in an average adult are 70 - 141 mg/dl (3.9 - 7.8 mmol/l), between 140 - 200 mg/dl is considered pre-diabetes, and > 200 mg/dl is considered diabetes according to ADA guidelines (you should visit your doctor or a clinic for additional tests however as a random glucose of > 200 mg/dl does not necessarily mean you are diabetic).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_glucose_test

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Random blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken at a random time. Blood sugar values are expressed in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or millimoles per liter (mmol/L). Regardless of when you last ate, a random blood sugar level of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher suggests diabetes, especially when coupled with any of the signs and symptoms of diabetes, such as frequent urination and extreme thirst. A level between 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) and 199 mg/dL (11.0 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes, which puts you at greater risk of developing diabetes. A blood sugar level less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) is normal.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-2-diabetes/DS00585/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

A "random" blood glucose test taken at any time. A normal blood glucose range is in the low to mid 100s. A diagnosis of diabetes is made if your blood glucose reading is 200 mg/dl or higher and you have symptoms of disease such as fatigue, excessive urination, excessive thirst or unplanned weight loss.

https://www.virginiamason.org/WhatareNormalBloodGlucoseLevels

12. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Why not test? I dont see anything wrong with it. I'd rather know sooner than later if my other child had high bs. I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my second and I will not feel bad about testing him lol

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I have no problem with random checks if something just doesn't seem "right". How many times do doctors miss the dx thinking that it is flu or a stomach bug.

My dd had no symptoms other than a week long "tummy ache". (No excessive urination, excessive drinking or weight loss) She began throwing up non-stop one night. We took her to urgent care thinking that she was dehydrated. NOPE - it was DKA and she was transferred by a respiratory response team transport straight to the children's hospital PICU floor.

Recently, my youngest daughter kept being lethargic and just not feeling well. The nurse called to have me check her out from school 3 times in the last 2 weeks of school. She lost 1 1/2 lbs. Unashamedly, I checked her BG. It was slightly elevated but nothing dramatic. Took her to doctor.

After 3 doctor visits in 14 days, she was dx with a double ear infection. For 2 weeks - her ears had looked fine - then boom. Am I sorry I checked her BG? No. Am I glad it was just an ear infection? - absolutely!

14. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

If it was my kid I might test, if for no other reason than peace of mind. I don't test my other kids unless I have really good reason to, but I have been known to check one of them now and then. On e you test and get a good number at least you won't be worrying about that anymore. :) it's most likely she has a stomach bug. Hope she feels better soon!

15. missmakaliasmomma

I don't mean to scare you but that's what happened with my daughter. She got coxsackie and right after she was diagnosed with t1d. The dr said her immune worked too well at fighting it off. I would definitely watch really closely after having coxsackie

16. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I know another family who's child's diagnosis followed coxsackie. I believe there's a strong correlation with that virus in particular (but any virus can kick the immune system into high gear)

My daughter was diagnosed a week after she had a garden variety virus. She got it from her brother and he is fine (so far).

17. missmakaliasmomma

yes, that's what the dr told me too. His reasoning was that coxsackie cells look (he was probably putting this into layman's terms lol) very much like pancreas cells and the body can overreact and kill them all. Now whenever I hear that someone's child has coxsackie, I probably freak them out by telling them to watch really really carefully

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sarah, how did things turn out? Did you test again? Or did you convince the ped to see her sooner?

19. wearingtaci

So we are kinda stuck. The nurse didn't seem concerned with her numbers,and said unless she shows signs of dka,there is no reason to see her any earlier.ARGH. I even mentioned it to Sophie's endo when I was calling about her crazy high night numbers,and he said it could just be the meter,and she could be fine. Now I'm beyond frustrated with the endo(for more then just this)and the PSD,I guess it is time to look for a new ped and endo.
    I ordered some glucose strips,and am watching Taxi,but I'm not checking her,unless there is a great reason. I did sign the other 3 kids up for trialnet and I'm waiting on the kits to take to the lab

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Did you try the juice thing? That should tell you...It will probably make her 200+ but not if she doesn't have D. I have never tested (myself) even after big meals and been higher than 120.