- advertisement -

Resisting The Urge To Test A Sibling of CWD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Jun 6, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

How do other's resist the urge to test sibling when they don't feel well. Our 7 year old is showing some signs and I am fighting the urge to test her. Half an hour ago she was famished. I gave her 5 yogurt covered pretzels then a few minutes ago she threw up. I am fighting the urge to test her.how do other's fight the urge?

2. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I have to admit I did do that once because my daughter wasn't feeling well drinking a lot. I would probably do it again if she was having any signs. I think its normal

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Every now and then - maybe once a year, I test a sibling. However, if you are really concerned, get the blood sugar urine strips. It is less dramatic then a finger poke and it will clue you in on if there is a problem.

4. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Why resist? Unless you are wanting to test the non-diabetic child on a daily basis, go ahead and test. We test the non-diabetic maybe once a year or so when she is 'acting funny'. Never try to ignore your mother's instinct, just try to refine it.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

If this was a common urge and an ongoing paranoia, I'd advise you to leave her alone, but with specific symptoms and a momma instinct that something is off...test her. Better to know early than to have to visit the ER with a very sick child.

Hopefully it's nothing, but I'd test.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do every once in a great while. However, we use the urine strips, it's less stressful for the one being tested. You don't want to constantly be doing it, it will only make you and your child paranoid. Keep in mind the symptoms, be on the watch for those, just don't assume since she's sick it's diabetes.

Hope she feels better soon!

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Exactly what "signs" is she showing that make you suspect diabetes?

8. wearingtaci

She seems abnormally thirsty(it has been raining a lot here,so they aren't outside,throwing up off and on after eating,peeing a lot and way more hungry(which is hugely abnormal for her).

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I wouldn't resist. I'd definitely test her in these circumstances. It will likely be normal and you'll feel better.

10. Christopher

Then you should take her to her Ped Doc and have her tested.

11. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

I agree - those are the classic symptoms that often present with undiagnosed type 1. Not that they can't also be many other things, but given the family history, I would certainly test my child myself immediately - and even if things look normal, book an appt with her doctor for a complete checkup.

GL and I really hope it's not T1. ((hugs))

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree with the others - those sound like genuine symptoms and would be reason enough for me to test any of my kids.

There have been a lot of posts in the past by parents who are very paranoid - they create symptoms out of relatively normal things and test their non-D kids a LOT, and this doesn't sound like that.

13. sariana

sariana Approved members

Do NOT resist it! When my dad was diagnosed @30, my mom began testing my brother and I constantly. We were in sports, so always drinking water. When my daughter began to show symptoms and I took her in, I was thankful to my mom for all those tests that she did on me! She saved my daughters life by doing that. We were able to catch it before it became serious.

14. wearingtaci

She let her old sister(with T1D) test her 2 hours after lunch,it was 168. She is going to the ped in 2 weeks in the mean time I will be watching her carefully

15. Christopher

I personally would not wait, but that is just me.

However, it is possible (if her fingers had food on them) that the number is not accurate.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am usually not one to run to the doctor, but with her symptoms, I would definitely demand to be seen sooner rather than later. We all know how quickly things can turn. Hopefully we are all wrong and she's OK, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :cwds:

17. wearingtaci

I did push for a much sooner appt,bit the receptionist wasn't budging. So I requested a nurse call back. If that doesn't work and she is showing more signs or her BG climbs I have no problem taking her to the ER
    Sophie was dka when she was diagnosed and I will not go down that road again,if I can help it

18. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Best wishes to you. I'd be anxious too under those conditions.

We are awaiting TrialNet results on both boys. I'm trying not to fret about those results.

I have let my boys test themselves when they are curious. Not the same as what you are looking at though.

I would wash her hands, test again, and take her to urgent care. But that's just me.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'd probably do a fasting in the morning and see what that shows. If that's elevated I would call my endo directly and bypass the pedi.

20. wearingtaci

the worse part is since Sophie tested her she looked at the meter,looked at me and started to cry. She is worried about her little sister and doesn't want Taci to be diabetic too
    Does anyone know what the numbers should be for a"normal"7 year old