- advertisement -

Residential next summer...HELP!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by debbiedivell, Jan 21, 2012.

1. debbiedivell

debbiedivell New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Jackson is scheduled to go on his year 6 residential next June and I am absolutely paniced at the thought of it!
    We will not be getting our pump until July, so he will still be on 4 shots a day and carb counting, etc. The school is very supportive and has said that they could get the nurse in to train with carb counting but I do not know if I am confident that they will get it right. I still have trouble getting the portion sizes correct all the time. Not to mention the anxiety I will have for a week worrying that nothing goes horribly wrong!
    Does anyone have any advice to give me? Or even just to share your experiences? At the moment I am thinking about looning around the center all day and doing the injections myself, but this doesn't exactly support the aspect of 'gaining indepenence' and it doesn't look very cool either!!
    Thanks for listening!!!
    Deb

2. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

My DD's first day back to school after diagnosis went like this. I got on the bus in the am with hand-out sheets & a tube of icing for the bus driver. I followed the bus to school (not too close, so she wouldn't know I was back there). I packed her lunch with the carb counts and amount of insulin to give for the carbs, even though the nurse already had that info. I called the nurse 3 times that day just to make sure she was fine (2 of those calls were from the parking lot,:p). I was never more than 1/2 mile from the school the whole day and had my cell phone in my hand the entire time (didn't want to miss that call). Then, yes, I followed the bus home. I was a nervous wreck the whole time:eek:.

Well, turns out everything went fine. The nurse correctly dosed her, even with not eating some of the stuff I packed and adding in some french fries from the Cafe.

The next day I went on with my normal daily routine. Every day after that got a little easier. Cell phone is still close at all times. But now it's like if they need me they will call:cool:.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Six year residential sounds like boarding school. How old is your son? Does he do any of his own care? While this is beyond the typical experience of US parents, I can understand your concern. It is like going away to college at age 12. As long as you are committed to this, you have no choice but to give up the full managing control of your son's diabetes. I would be sure the nurses are well trained and start your son on what to do to manage his own care.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think it is just a week long trip away with school, rather than going to boarding school.

If you have a couple of people trained on D care, they can do carb counting, injections etc. Is there any way you could communicate via text? For example the nurse could text something like "about to eat pasta, 50g carbs, 3U insulin". That way, although you wouldn't actually be carb counting yourself, you could be reassured that what they are doing seems at least vaguely reasonable.

If your son is 10/11, I assume he also knows some stuff about D care so might be able to voice it if something doesn't seem right. Does he feel his hypos? Perhaps you could make some kind of flashcards for the school, or a flow chart or something directing them what to do in particular circumstances - like "BG < 4.0 --> give 100ml juice and recheck in 15 minutes" or whatever your instructions would be.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It's a weeklong trip at the end of sixth grade. There was another post here last spring about somebody going on a trip like that.
    From the sound of this post, the diagnosis is pretty new so I think that planning should wait a bit until what blood sugar would be like in June is more clear. The excitement and exercise and all that will probably make his blood sugar different anyways- you'll probably want to lower doses for the week, and not worry too much if it makes him a little high.

6. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

My son wasn't dx for that trip,but I know how we do things here.At our school the 6th grade teachers make up a food plan for each and every meal and snack.Then the plan goes to the cafeteria lady.So they should have all the foods and meals arranged ahead of time....Maybe you could find out the meals from the person in charge and kind of sent a chart with like.. lunch meal. hamburg with cheese and bun 25 carbs
    ff(hand full) about 20 carbs
    milk 32 carbs
    total 77 carbs
    Our meals here are spaghetti,nuggets,burgers,ceral,juice,hot dogs.pretty basic stuff.
    just alot of work for you,but might make you feel more secure in sending him...Plus here they take parent volunteers for cooking and such..Good luck