- advertisement -

Reservoirs leaking

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

At site change time I noticed a strong smell of insulin in the pump's reservoir chamber. I can actually see some insulin in there, as well drops hugging the inside of the used reservoir (below the stopper). (This has happened before.)

Really annoyed. Letting the punp dry out now and I have switched to a different lot of reservoirs.

Anyone else have this problem? I imagine this can't be great for the pump -- getting wet with insulin repeatedly. Has anyone found any residual effects from this issue?

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

This happened to Animas reservoirs awhile back and Animas recalled a bunch of different lot numbers. The leaking also caused problems with people getting the accurate amount of insulin I think.

I'd call their weekend number and report it and ask them to replace what you have. Do you have any with different lot numbers?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yuck! That's not good!

If the cartridges are in date and I've been priming them before filling I'd call to see if there is some issue with that lot. On second thought, I'd probably just call and inform them of an issue with that lot.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thank you. Yes, I do have reservoirs from a different lot. Already changed out.
    I haven't called - - - I am just not up for responding (in a non-snarky manner) to the questions they usually ask. I know they are working from a script, but sheesh.

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes. Informing them is a good idea. Not going to sweat a replacement. :)

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If you can use some 300u ones and they drag their heels, just PM me.

Good luck. It should be an obvious easy fix, but as you know... :rolleyes:

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Acutally, I'm really just wondering if anyone had had a pump damaged, or adversly impacted by these insulin spills? That is my biggest concern.

Or perhaps they are made to power through these types of issues?

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Not here, but could you let us know the lot number, just so we can keep our eyes on it?

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Be firm when you call. I apparently was the first one to call Animas about the leaking reservoirs. They said they never heard of it. I said it is happening with all in this box and BG's have been through the roof. I would tap the reservoir or pump and the insulin would drop out in a puddle. They replaced my boxes saying it is probably not this and did it but not very happy about it. A number of weeks later , maybe a month they put a recall. :rolleyes:

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have had it happen a few times (same box of reservoirs) but only with my current 723. It never happened with my old 522. I kept the box of reservoirs that caused the issue so I will dig it out and post the lot number tomorrow. At least you learned right way and switched to a new lot, I just kept using them :eek:

I would notice the issue by seeing the drops inside the clear reservoir window but outside of the piston if that makes sense. I really doubt it would cause any damage to the pump but thinking about it now I probably should have figured out a way to dry it out instead of just changing out the reservoir.

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

All right, get your raffle tickets ready :rolleyes:. . . The number is # H8163544
    300 ml

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

Happily not a winner, but it's good to know in case anyone has them, they should watch for similar leaking.

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

The leaking didn't seem to damage any of the Animas pumps - but it messed up insulin delivery because you don't get all of it.

14. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I have no idea if it's correlated, but we were having a problem with this, and trying several different reservoirs with a new Revel pump. Then in June we started getting motor errors, I called and told them we needed our pump replaced due to these to incidences together. Since we've had one time that I noticed the insulin smell and teeny tiny drops of insulin on the interior of reservoir but not on the pump. We're keeping our eye on things.
    So, I'd call and if you get any error with the pump request a replacement.

15. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I had a Minimed Paradigm 300u reservoir pump (can't remember which # pump that was then) that I had issues with. The insulin was backing up from the reservoir into the reservoir chamber and main body of the pump and we didn't figure it out until I had had a day of horrific numbers that landed me in the ER, thought we had gotten it settled, then it happened again as soon as I had gone back on the pump, and I wound up spending about 36 - 48 hours in the hospital while we tried to figure out why my numbers were so crazy... then I examined the pump more closely and noticed insulin sitting in the reservoir chamber as well as what appeared to be fluid in the main body of the pump...
    Yep... definitely lost my faith in Minimed at that point and freaked out, took a 6 month pump break, and when I went back to pumping, went with the Cozmo because I no longer trusted Minimed and their ability to fix issues like this before resulting in hospitalization...

16. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

In answer to your question whether anyone has experienced pump problems as a result of this - yes, we have, several times. My dd has the 723 and is on her 7th pump since pump start almost a year ago. We haven't had it happen nearly as often, and without pump failure, since switching from the 1.8ml to the 300ml reservoir. I did notice that when I don't completely fill or accidentally overfill the reservoir, it tends to happen again. Now, when we smell insulin we change everything out immediately and call to document. I get a lot of blowback, but I want every instance of leaked insulin into the reservoir chamber documented until they fix the problem.

The list of problems after multiple reservoirs leaked has included failure of the piston to advance (the part that pushes the plunger on the insulin reservoir - twice), motor failure (twice), button failures due to insulin that got inside the pump (three times). Honestly, it's been a nightmare and I can't believe that we're feeling relieved because we haven't had an issue for a little over two months. That should not be a gauge of success with a device like this. :(

17. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'd inform them I'd want a new pump and to have the resevoirs replaced, since the leak "could" cause an issue internally with the pump!