- advertisement -

Reporter seeks stories of "clusters" of many type 1 kids in a town or school

Discussion in 'Books, Videos, Movies, and other Projects' started by HurleyDan, Oct 8, 2008.

1. HurleyDan

HurleyDan Approved members

I am a medical reporter and type 1 diabetic who writes occasionally for The New York Times (such as in this article about testing a new continuous glucose monitor, http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/29/health/29case.html). I’m now writing a book about the sharply rising incidence of diabetes, both type 1 and type 2, and researchers' efforts to finally turn the situation around. I'm interested in hearing from you if your town or neighborhood, or your child's school or sport team, has an unusually high number of type 1 cases. What does "unusually high" mean? Well, for instance, I recently met with some parents in Massachusetts where there were 7 kids with type 1 in an elementary school of 232 kids! These kinds of so-called "clusters" seem to be popping up all around the country. I’m also interviewing researchers at Joslin and the CDC, as well as the leaders of the TEDDY and SEARCH studies, to see what they know. I will of course consider any stories you share here as confidential to this list serve. If I have any interest in sharing one of your stories in the book, I would request your permision beforehand. Thanks! --Dan Hurley

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

My dd was dx'd in October 2005 at age 3. Our neighbor's son (one house between us) was dx'd September 2007 also at age 3. Not sure about the elementary school since we homeschool, but I believe I heard there are 2 or 3 this year in a small rural area of TN. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

3. HurleyDan

thanks for your reply

Hi Carol: that sounds like quite a few cases. So you're saying that perhaps 5 kids (including your child) have been diagnosed with diabetes in your town since 2005, and that perhaps as many as four of them were diagnosed in the past year? Four children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in one year for a small rural town is probably higher than the national average, depending on exactly how many children live in the area. I'd be interested in hearing more. Feel free to email me directly at hurleydan@aol.com or you may call my cell at 201-259-0094. Thanks! Dan Hurley

4. Antievil

Antievil Approved members

Hello

My name is Christopher. I live in Tampa, FL. I go to Eisenhower Middle School. At first I thought I was the only diabetic kid in the school, but I heard there were four more diabetic kids that I haven't met at the school! I'm hoping that someday I will meet one of them. I hope this is what you want. :)

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I can tell you of 4 diagnoses since Dec of 2006 in about a 4 mile radius of where I live (ages 4, 2, 11, and 10 at diagnosis). I know there are more, I just don't know them. There are probably 3-4 more that I've "heard" about just in my little neighborhood

6. lbrunner

lbrunner New Member

Type One Diabetes story on Boston TV

Hi Dan!
    My name is Liz Brunner. I am an anchor/reporter for WCVB, Channel 5, the ABC affilliate in Boston. I recently learned of your work on 'cluster' theories, and wanted to send you a story I recently did. (See link below for written version and the actual story as it aired, plus a story I did last November with Boston Celtics Star Ray Allen and his wife Shannon on their son's diagnosis.)
    Good luck, not only with your book, but also your own health!
    Liz Brunner

Here is a link to our report: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/19022121/detail.html

7. HurleyDan

Liz, you did an awesome report; Ann Marie Kreft in Weston has had great things to say about you. Did you know that the cluster in Wellesley/Weston has gone from 7 cases in 14 months, when I started reporting on it, to now 18 cases in 28 months. That is off-the-hook crazy. My book came out last month and reports on the leading scientific hypotheses that seek to explain why this is going on. Actually type 1 is increasing all around the country, and all around the world, according to many scientific studies. I'm going to be speaking at the Wellesley Booksmith on March 2 at 7 p.m. They already have over 50 parents signed up to attend. I'm hoping the parents can succeed in getting Massachusetts to set "mandated case reporting," in which all new cases will be reported to the public health department, just like measles or H1N1, so that we can begin to figure out what's going on with these crazy clusters. Thanks for your interest and your great work. --Dan