- advertisement -

Reoccurring illness

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by akgiauque, Oct 17, 2012.

1. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

I just had my 5 yo DD to her ped for a fever. She has strep again, 4th or 5th time in a year. Her mother is susceptible to strep but this seems like allot for a year period. The last time was March. My question do your kids seem more susceptible to certain illnesses and do you think this is a diabetes issue?

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My non-D daughter was very prone to strep. 5-6 times in one year. But my non-D daughter has probably had strep twice in her life. And they shared a room at the time. Some kids just seem more prone to Strep. I was one as well.

Also your wife could possibly be a carrier of Strep. You can become colonized with Strep and not have any symptoms. But even without symptoms, you can infect others.

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Both my non-d daughters have strep right now, my non-d son used to have it regularly. My daughter with diabetes seems to have missed it, she is actually rarely sick, knock wood. I think it's that killer(literally!) immune system!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Funny, we were talking about the killer immune system recently.
    My non-d daughter gets step about once a year, my d daughter, every few years. Some people are just more prone to getting it than others. You might want to consult an ENT, the antibiotics she's on probably are no longer working for her and you need to shake things up a bit.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Actually, my dd gets sick less often than any other kid I know. But she was like that before D as well.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

The human immune system is indeed divided into at least two parts - th1 (cellular immunity) and th2 (humoral immunity). These two parts are supposed to work in balance but just may not be in type 1 diabetics. Faustman's work relies in part on re-balancing the two parts with an injection of a vaccine and has had some success apparently validating the notion that it is not in balance in our kids.

Good or bad this is the first article I found on the subject:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C004367/be7.shtml

Here are the search results when type 1 diabetes is included: (the information gets complicated and contradictory pretty fast)

http://www.google.com/search?q=cell...50514654581f59&bpcl=35277026&biw=1143&bih=484

Whether or not an unbalanced immune system would make our kids more or less susceptible to pathogens is not clear. If we assume that nature provides the best system then an unbalance one would be less adaptable. But if it is unbalanced in favor or attacking pathogens as they enter our bodies perhaps we would be off.

Regardless, in my experience my diabetic daughter seems better able to fight off strep for example than my non diabetic son. And all of us seem to be less sick since we started eating better.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My DD is prone to strep, as is DS. However, he usually seemed to follow her so I think she was just contagious so often it eventually caught him ;) In DD's case, it wasn't the diabetes but the size of her tonsils (which were huge!!) because the strep just sort of hung out in there. We had her tonsils removed and both kids have been strep-free ever since!

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Literally just got back from the docs now, they think non-d daughter may have strep:( I think I jinxed her by writing about our experiences:eek:

9. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

Same here! Oldest non D had antibiotics constantly (ears, throat) was much sicker! D daughter only had antibiotics 1 time (and had an allergic reaction to it!)