- advertisement -

Rent/Share a CGM?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by CAGrandma, Jan 22, 2011.

1. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

We've been looking at getting the Minimed CGM for my grandson, but it isn't covered by his insurance and neither are any of the supplies. Which makes it fairly expensive.

We have heard that many/most kids don't actually use the CGM all the time, but use it perhaps a week or so a month as a means of gathering information to modify basal rates, carb ratios, etc. That would be a great benefit to us (although I can also see the value in full-time use especially at night).

So we started wondering - does anyone else use it/or would be interested in using it intermittently? And could share the expense? Obviously the sites would not be shared, but the CGM itself? Do you have one we could rent/borrow? Is that just a screwy idea?

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, it is a prescription item - because only one of you would be able to get the sensors so you'd be needing to share a prescription item intended for another person.

that said - absolutely it's a good idea. Just find someone local to you and work out a plan...

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There were instructions included in my Guardian for cleaning the transmitter between patients if it was going to be used for multiple patients. That said, I suspect that if a doctor wasn't supervising the sharing, it'd technically be illegal.

I think it's a good idea and I thought about something similar back when I was on the Guardian. I wear the Dexcom full time so I wouldn't be willing to share now.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

After using a cgms for almost a year, I think it is most beneficial when used all the time. I can see why you wouldn't want to pay OOP for something you aren't sure you'll like however.

Maybe you could find someone who isn't using theirs (maybe didn't like it) so you can try it out. Does MM do trials or have a 30 day return policy?

If you shared one you have the issue of what you would do if it something out of warranty coverage occurred to it (like losing part of it).

Is the main cost in the system itself or the sensors? Seems to me the big cost is the sensors (if we paid OOP the system itself was like $1000 - a box of sensors is billed to our insurance at around $550 for 6). Not sure the sharing idea is cost effective in the end - plus the hassle of actually sharing it - and you're stuck if you really wanted to keep using it but had to pass it along to the other person.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

If you return it in under thirty days, you're out the cost of the box of sensors but not the receiver or transmitter.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'd go that route personally - how much is the receiver and transmitter unit?

I think it is the non-shareable sensors that cost the most in the long run.

7. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Our doctor has a three day program where you can "rent" one for three days. You might check with your doctor. Also, our doctor said that not many people wear them all the time, but from the people that I know, they find that they are indispensable.

8. sage68

sage68 Approved members

We did Dex for both our girls but when Anne started having allergic reactions to their adhesive, we wanted to trial MM and see if it would work for her. The MM rep and a MM nurse came to our house and gave us a loaner Guardian (actually offered to loan us a Revel but we opted for guardian as we knew our insurance wouldn't cover a new pump) as well as the transmitter and sensor, helped me insert it and get it started. We kept it for about 2 weeks, the MM nurse actually came back to our house a week later and gave me another sensor to insert and we kept the loaner Guardian. At this point, we still didn't know if our insurance would cover a new CGM, as they had paid for Dex less that 6 months earlier, but MM still let us trial free of charge. So i know trial are done and i would look into it. I know personally, after having both my girls on CGM's, that I would never want to have them unhooked if i could help it.

Oh, as a side note, our insurance doesn't cover CGM's either. I had to write 4 appeal letters and our endo with in front of the Durable Medical board to finally have us covered under our DME plan. That was a lot of work but i am so glad that we finally got them covered because I know that if insurance hadn't covered it, we couldn't have afforded a CGM.

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

It's definitely a good idea and it is also against the law to use a prescrition not written for you or to give away a prscrition item. But the way I look at it, trading strips, giving away sensors, etc. fall under the same illegal but beneficial status. The start up cost of gardian, 4 sensors, transmiteer etc, is about 900. that's a lot of dough.

You could harrass and fight with your ins.
    You could ask your doc about renting.
    You could advert here to share and hope someone also paying oop will pm you.
    You could call mm to see if they'll let you try it.

Or you could just buy someone gardian unit that they aren't using. Anybody got a guurdian they would like to sell or trade to the op? Then you could buy a seashell transmitter. Anybody got an extra transmitter? Anybody covered by ins who thinks they should replace their oput of warranty transmitter and would like to donate theri old one? Then you have to buy sensors. That's the tricky part since you can't just order them since you don't officially have a cgm. You'd have to buy them on here from somebody, which since lots of ppl have them covered and use them for twice as long many ppl have extras. You could also go ebay for sensors.

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

The thing is, I didn't use a Guardian for very long, but it broke and had to be replaced three times in that period. Apparently they break more if you use them less, especially if you take the battery out- so don't take the battery out!

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is so weird. Our Guardian appears to be made of steel. We abuse the heck out of that thing and have never had an issue. My impression is that the Guardian hardware is infinitely more durable than the Dex or the Nav.

12. Diana

Diana Approved members

I agree that the Guardian is infinitely more durable (at least the receiver). We went through 9 Nav receivers in 9 months of use, and at least 3 Dex's in a year. We've been using the Guardian for 7 months now and it is still working fine.

Our Guardian has been dropped many times on the tile floor, has survived a plunk in the toilet, and just recently survived being left at the soccer fields... for over an hour in the rain (that one took years off my life but at least we found it, and it helped me stay at least a teensy bit calm knowing that if we did find it that the rain wasn't ruining it!)

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

With the skins on the Dexcom I don't worry too much about her dropping it. The problem is the the skins are not nearly as thick as what is on the Omnipod PDM. I ordered 4 of them and she is on the last one and it is ripped where you plug it in. I know that she plays with that little flap and that is how they get ripped, but she doesn't even seem to know that she is doing it. I hate to have to pay for skins again, but I am also afraid that without it and she drops it, it is history. It is coming up on one year and this is the original. We have no coverage at this point for either the Dex or the Omnipod.

14. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

You might be able to find that type of family. If I was an occasional user, I would still want to have it on hand and available for those nights when numbers go wonky, so I wouldn't be a good sharer. There is a small group of cgms owners who never ever use it and don't know what to do with it and would probably be thrilled to recoup part of their investment. I"d try to find this situation vs. sharing.

Knowing what the transmitter smells and looks like after 6 days under a tegaderm there is a gross out factor for me about continually sharing back and forth, but that's probably just me. We clean ours with an alcohol wipe but there is an open connection area that you aren't supposed to get wet.

Good luck!