advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Dexcom Sensor

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Annk, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Annk

Annk Approved members

Question, can anyone give me any tips on what you use to help take off a Dexcom sensor? I love that they are extremely sticky and stay on forever, but when it comes time to remove one, you can tell not only from my son crying, but you can see how painful it is, that thing does NOT want to come off easily at all. When we finally do get i off, you can see how sore the area is and extremely red. I was just wondering if anyone has found anything that helps remove it a little bit easier? I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

AnnK

Mom to Zak - 5 diagnosed 3/07 and
    Nicole - 16 non-D

2. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Easy smeezy!! Before a bath, soak it thoroughly with baby oil. The whole thing will fall off in the tub. Just be sure it doesn't go down the drain!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We use De-Solv-It, which we buy from Amazon.com. Some Wal-Marts carry it, but ours does not. It's a solvent remover, but completely safe to use on the skin. We spray some on, and let it sit for maybe a minute, and sites literally just fall off. :)

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I use "remove" by smith and nephew. I use the bottled stuff, just soak a couple of Qtips and saturate the oval dexcom dressing and in a few minutes my dd will peel it off. If I have used skin tack then it needs a second application and a little more time, but she still peels it off.

http://wound.smith-nephew.com/CA_EN/Product.asp?NodeId=645

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We use Remove and let Jacob do it himself. He can feel what is happening and he won't hurt himself.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I am currently trying out some Medisol (made by the De-Solv-it people, and that stuff has actually be tested and is safe for skin too.. you don't need the specific medisol product)... someone on here mentioned it and I like it a lot, it's orange oil based, not solvent based, so it's gentle on the skin... I haven't had a problemwith it so far, however I'm somewhat dubious in terms of effectiveness... it works, but not as fast as other stuff I have used.

That said, I had a particularly bad reaction to uni-solve recently.. I am convinced that it actually caused a chemical burn in combination wtih some dissolved IV3000... my endo actually agreed that it looked like more than "just" skin irritation caused by the tape (I have a rather large semi-scabbed over area that is ONLY where the IV3000 was.. the area where the dexcom tape was is fine). I have not reacted like this to unisolve or IV300 alone before, but I had never actually used it to remove tape, just the gunky residue left behind at the edges (fingernail polish remover works remarkably well for that as well).

7. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We use baby oil for dexcom and pump sites. Cheap, smells good and leaves the skin nice and smooth! It just lets the sites melt right off.

Be aware that you'll have to really wipe down the transmitter with alcohol to get all the baby oil off though. :p

8. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We use nothing since it looks like its been a year after 7 days and has hypafix all over it(sides and top only, not touching sensor) so it won't fall off! Darn thing does not stick good for us! For our Pods which stick like glue we use Baby Oil most times.

9. Annk

Annk Approved members

Thanks everyone - great tips!!!!

AnnK

Mom to Zak - 5 diagnosed 3/07
    Nicole - 16 - don-d

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ann, if you'd like to add a signature to your posts so that you don't have to retype your info at the bottom of each one, you can do so. Go to User CP at the top left hand side of the page and click on it. About midway down the left hand side of that page, you'll see "Edit Signature." Click on that. Then just type whatever info you want to appear at the bottom of each of your posts in that box and click "Save Signature." It's really easy. :)

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Lil takes hers off in the shower, then just scrubs it up while she is there.

12. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Hmm, we don't use anything. We probably don't need to but have a roll of Opsite that we cut to fit and cut a hole in so it covers the Dex Tape and then some. We do this mostly because Logan is in diapers and wears it on his behind.

When it is time to remove, we just pull up the edges (unless they are already rolling up) of the Opsite and it then pulls the Dex tape off. Logan does say it feels itchy sometimes after, but we have not seen any redness nor does he complain during removal. He generally gets a bath right after removal and before the next insertion and just using soap and water we can get any extra nubs of Opsite that may still be stuck to his skin.

But thanks for the ideas shoudl we need them down the line. We do have some adhesive remover that the Trainer gave us, but have just never had any reason to use it.

13. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I use unisolve for pump site and dex site removal. Works great for us. We don't add anything to his dex sites for sticky, the last one worked for 15 days and was still stuck pretty well except for the very edges.

14. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

We use Uni-Solve by Smith & Nephew. The pharmacy has to order it for us, but it's only about $15 for a box of 50.