- advertisement -

Reminders please about ORAL SURGERY

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by linda, May 10, 2010.

1. linda

linda Approved members

Hi.. any reminders about oral surgery?? Just advised Em has 4 impacted wisdom teeth need removal...yay...:eek:

2. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I would also like to know this. Brandi is having some major pain and I fear its wisdom teeth related. None of them have broken thru the surface. I know I had mine peeking in my the time I was 14.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Have soft sugar sources available. I think straws are a bad idea if you use juice. Something about suction dislodging the plugs (it's been a while since I've had mine removed).

4. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Nick has his out last summer. On the day of the surgery, we let his numbers run a little higher to avoid any lows while he was under (surgery only took about 20 mintues.) Find out what meds the oral surgeon routinely prescribes. We didn't have a problem but I recall some people were given steriods which can cause high BS.

Have plenty of soft foods on hand. And, straws are a no-no!

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

there was a mom on here recently who's child had wisdom teeth out and braces put on in the same day - but I don't know that she ever reported back to tell us how he did.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My son had 4 teeth taken out. They used gas and shots combined. SO, he was never totally out. I tried to run his BG a little higher but when he was in the recovery chair he started going down , despite I had turned off for a half hour. The nurse let me give him a juice box. She was not worried about him using a straw because it was not his wisdom teeth. I think that is what she said.

7. linda

linda Approved members

UMM..K...:eek:..LOL...WOW so not into this. Hers are def impacted, they showed us the films and they are literally turned sideways inside her cheeks!!

This news on the back of her needing thyroid removed this summer..she wants to know what else she has to give up:confused:

8. linda

linda Approved members

I cant imagine her wanting to CHEW anything! I remember having them out! I cant imagine being D! I was thinking will have to be done hospital?? This is gum cutting and asleep for sure:eek: It is a special needs surgeon, so ill let you know how the consult goes!!

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

don't forget you can use low dose glucagon too

10. linda

linda Approved members

guess it will be good time as any to learn the mini gluc rules:rolleyes:

11. linda

linda Approved members

Ya just I was thinking...is there an actual "mini" or does the term just refer to small dose?? I will actually contact endo and see if they have protocol.:cool:

12. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex had his out this past summer. As I recall, we let him run a little higher for that morning to avoid lows. No straws allowed.

Here's some info I had cut and paste from other's suggestions at the time:

Ask Endo about lowing basal insulin the night before so not low the morning of (b/c can?t eat).

Test blood sugar with great frequency the night before, day of, and night after surgery- about every two hours.

Revisit the Glucagon procedure, just in case.

Use 16 ounce bags of petite frozen peas to use for ice packs. Put them in ziploc bags and wrapped the bags in paper towels.

Oral surgeon will give instructions but probably 15 or 20 minutes with ice on and 15-20 minutes off the packs. Bags went back in the freezer between times.

Make sure to eat something with/before pain meds?.they forgot to mention that to us!

Good foods to have on hand: Milkshakes, ice cream, jello, cold soup, yogurt, smoothies, pudding

If your child does all the pump stuff and bg testing on own, have you and dad relearn it all just in case you need to do some of it. We didn't need to. Alex was able to walk out of the place on his own.