- advertisement -

Reminder of importance of backup PDM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2cjh, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Last night at 9:30pm after my son had a frozen yogurt and went to bolus we got an alarm on the PDM for the 1st time ever. It said to change pod and call customer service immediately with a whole lot of #'s all over the screen. Customer service thought we could reset by a small button by the batteries...but that didn't work. After two attempts she said she was sorry to tell me that the PDM was going have to be returned and they would mail me a new one...couldn't get it here for 2 days b/c we had missed overnight b/c of the time of day. (She absolutely sounded like she was ready for me to freak out on her...which I am sure happens due to the stress of the matter) I quickly told her that we had 2 backup PDM's (both the older model) so it would not be a problem...she seemed relieved!!! I was also calm during the conversation knowing that we had backups if we needed. However, once off the phone I quickly realized I didn't have a printed out update of all his current settings. My husband was able to print it off from the computer from his last download...so problem solved. BUT...it reminded me that in the future...especially when we go on vacation that in addition to having backup PDM's I need to also take the last print out of current settings. My son handled all this well....but said he wasn't sure if he could use this "dinosaur" of a PDM!!! It is funny using the older model....but it works....and that is all that matters!!!

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

Yep, I always take our "dinosaur" along on trips for this very reason and have the settings written down on a piece of paper in his test kit. Glad it worked out for you!

3. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Great idea. I am going to put the settings I need into the pouch in his case for any future PDM problems.;)