- advertisement -

Remember when your child was diagnosed? Seeking help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by johntheareen, Jun 25, 2014.

1. johntheareen

johntheareen Approved members

Hello,

I am a diabetes educator working in pediatrics. I'm here to solicit help for a worthwhile project.

I am creating a pamphlet that will be given to parents and caregivers of kids who are newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My intent is to address the emotional component of the new diagnosis as related to the caregiver.

I am here asking for bits of wisdom and empathy from those who have been there. I would like to supply the caregiver with words of support and encouragement during the very early days of living with diabetes.

What I'd like from you is a short statement or paragraph that you think would be of value to someone in this situation. Your quotes would be anonymous, including only your child's first name and his or her age at diagnosis.

So, thinking back to Day One, what do you wish someone would have said to you at that time?

You can post your statements here or email them to me at johntheareen@gmail.com

Please remember to include your child's first name and age at diagnosis.

Thanks so much for your help,

John

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not sure how many quotes you are looking for but if it is going to be a small pamphlet you may want just a sentence from each person, as opposed to a paragraph. Here is mine:

While things seem overwhelming right now, given time and experience, your child will get back to doing all the things they normally do and you will make diabetes a part of your life, not your entire life.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. johntheareen

Perfect, Thanks!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would offer:

"In time, you will figure out how to make diabetes fit into your normal life, as opposed to changing your normal life to accommodate diabetes."

My child's first name is Jack, and he was three at dx.

And two that I have read on here, but I did not originate:

"My son's diabetes is the least interesting thing about him."

"Well-controlled diabetes is the leading cause of nothing."

(I realize that last one may be a bit controversial, as it uses the no-no word "control" and also sort of implies that if you have good control, you won't get complications, which isn't necessarily true. But I think the sentiment is true as far as it goes, and would have been of great comfort to me as a newly diagnosed parent.)

Best of luck with your project.

5. johntheareen

Love it!

Thank you.

6. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

One day, you may be a good pancreas. One day, you may not be. It's okay.

My son is Christopher, age 6 at diagnosis.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Remember how difficult it was at first to ride a bicycle? And how, after time and practice, it became quite easy? Managing your child's Type 1 diabetes is similar: with time and experience, it will get easier and will become something you are accustomed to doing.

My daughter Tikva was diagnosed with Type 1 at 11 years of age.

8. johntheareen

You people are awesome, I really appreciate your help.

Keep 'em coming. :smile:

9. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

This what my daughter's endo. said that still resonates with me, "Managing diabetes is an art, not a science." My daughter was diagnosed at 5 1/2, and we just celebrated the five year anniversary one month ago.

10. 321

321 Approved members

Ellie-Mae diagnosed at 3 years of age now 9

I would say to newly diagnosed;

You are going to have high numbers..... Correct them

You are going to have low numbers...... Treat them

You MUST NOT beat yourself up over them.

In time they will become less frequent, but they will always be there.

11. cookbookmom

cookbookmom New Member

I knew that when we took him home, we were on our own for all this stuff. It’s like bringing home a newborn when you have never held a baby before, much less fed, bathed or diapered one. And the temptation to rely on packaged foods with easy-to-read carb counts on labels is high when you have to do higher math while cooking dinner. But mealtimes get easier, and you can help your child live with diabetes. You can't make it go away, but you can help him thrive.
    (parent of Luke, diagnosed in 11/2013 at age 11)

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby, age 13.
    Diagnosed age 4.

"The good days will always outnumber the bad."

13. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Daughter diagnosed at 2 and son diagnosed at 10. I don't post names so feel free to make up something for them :)

Don't let the numbers overwhelm you. Let them tell you what needs to be done and then let go of them. Blood glucose checks and a1cs can feel like report cards and can make you feel like a success or failure but they are just tools that are there to help you. Correct and move on.

14. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

I know I read this here, but I practice it every day: Keep Calm and Treat the Number. My son is Austin and he was diagnosed at 8.

15. johntheareen

Thanks again, everyone. The project is shaping up nicely.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It is not selfish to want to take small breaks and find yourself again.
    It is ok to ask for help, even if you are willing and able to handle it all and be a super Diabetes caregiver.

My oldest is McKenna DX'ed at 13 months in 2005, and my youngest is Madison Dx'ed at almost 6yrs old in 2014.

17. johntheareen

Thank you!