advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relion insulin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megnyc, May 8, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have been using Humalin R the past few weeks in my pump and it has been working really well. In fact, better then apidra or humalog/novalog have ever worked for me.

Anyway, all forms of regular insulin are apparently "tier 3" for our prescription coverage which is a really high copay (it is actually cheaper to just buy without insurance from target). It looks like I can get Relion R from Walmart and it is made by the same manufacturer as the normal Novalin R.

Would you try it? I figure the worst thing that happens is it doesn't work as well and I am high or low for a few days.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I found this link in an old thread, http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

I wouldn't hesitate to try it if you feel that R is working for you. It's not made by some second rate manufacturer after all. ;)

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks! I have another sample vial left but I may pick some up to try.

And yes, Regular is working amazingly well. We did a skype session with a CDE who suggested it and it has just been a miracle. It seems like a simple change but it has made my life so much easier :cwds:

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It is not the same manufacturer as Novolin R, it's the same as Humulin R. They are roughly the same thing, but different companies and the manufacture method is different and some people metabolize them differently.

I switched from Novolog to Novolin R about two years ago and I've been very happy with it. If it was cheaper for me, I'd definitely use Humulin R (Relion R) but my insurance makes it slightly cheaper for me to use Novolin than Humulin.

5. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I've used Relion R a couple of times in a pinch (since being on analogs). I loved that I could buy a vial of insulin for ~$20-30 without a prescription or insurance. I thought it worked like R. My feeling on switching brands is typically that consistency matters more than any one specific brand in the first place.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Can you say how it is working better? why did your CDE suggest it? :cwds::cwds:

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Sure. I guess I will give you some background info. Well, I switched from apidra to humalog because of consistently high A1Cs (despite frequent testing and corrections). The bigger concern though was the basically constant swinging from 40-400. My typical BG SD from sensor data was in the 80-120 range on a good day which is obviously way to high. Average BGs were 160-200 usually.

Humalog worked really well. We also added symlin to try to reduce meal spikes (to 300-400). It resulted in some crazy asymptomatic lows after eating. My CDE came to the conclusion the symlin was making the carbs hit too long after the insulin which makes sense given how symlin works. So I switched to regular insulin and it is working great. My CGM BG average for the past week is 95 with an average SD of 11 (range 8.54-16.7). I am using about 10 units of insulin a day and the 30 dose of symlin 3-5 times a day.

I will attach 2 CGM graphs to show you the difference. The humalog one is 2 days before I switched and the regular one is 4 or 5 days in.

Does this answer your questions?

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Really? The website says Relion R is made by novo nordisk which manufactures Novolin R. I have no real opinion either way though.

It mentions the manufacturer in the first paragraph. http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

so what duration do you have set for on the pump?

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have it set for 5 hours. I'm pretty sure it takes about 30 minutes to start working and then is pretty even over the next 4 hours before dropping off a bit.

I usually bolus for a meal about 5 minutes before I start eating.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

You're right.

My only excuse is that when I last looked it up, years ago, it was Humulin R. I guess Walmart switched companies that it works with sometime when I wasn't looking.

In that case, I guess it's even more relevant to say that I use Novolin R and I like it.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Wrong :) They had lily insulins for a while but they've been back to Novolin for quite a few months now.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Do you also take symlin? or do you think that with the jet injector you get faster action time?

What is your duration with the jet injector, or more importantly the peak time?

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

I do not take symlin.

With syringes, I find that Novolin R kicks in about 10-20 minutes after injection and generally keeps lowering blood sugar for about four hours, although sometimes it's more like five hours, and sometimes it's closer to three hours (it depends somewhat on what body part I inject into).

With the jet injector, I notice a more rapid onset- it seems to be just about instantaneous- but the DIA is in the same range.

As compared to Novolog, by the way (and when I switched I was using syringes- I only got the jet injector about six months ago), the Regular seems to me to be more active in the first hour, less active in the second hour (Novolog for me was most active in the second hour), about equal in the third hour, and more active in the fourth hour.
    It seemed to me that Novolog would have more and more impact over the first ninety minutes or so, then less and less until about four hours after I injected it, whereas the Regular, once it kicks in, has a steady impact for usually four hours- there's no noticeable peak in action.

One of the things I really like about Novolin R is that it seems more predictable to me. When I was using Novolog I felt like often my blood sugar would just suddently drop out of nowhere.
    I also had a problem that sometimes, if I injected before eating, I would have a horrible low during my meal. With Novolin R, I sometimes still have a drop before the food kicks in, but it's not the same bottoming out. I do have more of an issue of my blood sugar dropping later, but it's not nearly as difficult to work with.

15. carbz

carbz Banned

I use R Insulin regularly especially since you don't need a prescription for it and its $25 a vial at walmart as opposed to $150 for humolog/novolog... (what a joke) The only real drawback is the peak time takes a bit long longer then the H/N insulins which certainly sucks when your high. My physician always hooks me up with samples of H/N any so I haven't paid a dime for that stuff in years. The sad fact is if they can sell R and Humalog for $25 a vial and still make a profit they can sell H/N for the same $25 but they chose to take advantage. I won't even get into the Lantus (which I don't use) debate either.

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I mix Regular and humalog in my pump, have for about 12 years. I tried not using the R, when my endo asked me not mix, and went back to having unexplained highs(my previous endo had recommended it before he retired), so I went back to mixing!

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I really want to try mixing the symlin with regular in my pump. The CDE suggested using the omnipod as a second pump for symlin but I really don't want another thing attached to my body (and there is no way I could get that covered by insurance).