- advertisement -

Relief

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CamsMom, Jul 2, 2010.

1. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Hi There!
    I am SO happy to have found this forum. Our 6 yr old son was recently dx on June 15th. Seemed like we had everything down pat up until a few days ago and his numbers have been crazy. Welcome to the new world of diabetes. I am so glad to have found you all. My head is still in over load mode and I havent had a chance to really reach out to other known families with kiddos who have diabetes. So this is a nice way to ease into some imput and support.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Kim, welcome to CWD:) If you need support or advice this is the place to find both. Was Cam very sick at diagnosis? How is he feeling now? what are some of the things youre having trouble with? Are you in close contact with the endos office? They expect lots of calls in the first few months;) so dont hesitate to call them for advice on dosages or other questions.

3. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Awww...Kim! We have all been where you are:cwds: Read everything you can and try to get some rest too! No question will go unanswered here!

4. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

Hi- we're only 3 months in and yes, this forum has answered lots of questions and it's a great place to turn to.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome. This is a great place for support and information. :cwds:

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

So glad you found this site! Sorry you have to be here, but you're in a good place.

I see you're in Spokane. You might want to check out the upcoming CWD Friends for Life conference in Vancouver, at the end of August. You can read about it on the "Conferences" section of this site. We've been to two CWD conferences here in Seattle, and they've been fabulous, especially the first one, which we attended when dd was still relatively recently diagnosed.

Hang in there, and know that any problem you might have, someone else here has dealt with and understands.

7. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

Hi!
    We are in Washington too. There are some great resources in our area, we have done two family retreats through the ADA and have found them to be really benificial for DD. Meeting other kids, teens and adults with T1D has been a relief. I believe the next one may be in the fall. There are also summer camps, DD goes to her first one in a few weeks. I am sorry to hear about your diagnoises but you are amoung some fantastic families.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Welcome Kim:D

9. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Welcome! We are only a couple months into this too and things do get easier (and then harder, and then easier..) Sorry you have to be here but you really couldn't be in a better place.

10. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Welcome. There's great support here. Sorry you had to be here but glad you found us :cwds:

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

12. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

Welcome!!

We are 6 years in, and i only found this site a year ago. So you very lucky. I wished i would have found it much sooner.:eek:

You can learn so much on this site. There is always someone with the same experience that you are having at any moment. :D

13. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Hi! We're almost 6 years into this. It's gets easier--kind of a new "normal." We're in the Tri-Cities, so welcome from an almost-neighbor ;)

Kelly

14. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Hi! Just wanted to say "welcome" to this site. The folks here are fantastic.

My son was diagnosed in March and the people here have helped a lot. We're all in this together.:)

15. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Hi, sorry you have to be here, but since we all have to navigate the world with our D kids, it's so amazing that this site is here, isn't it?

I found this site immediately prior to my daughter's diagnosis, in fact...I googled her symptoms (the frequent urination, the bed wetting, the drinking everything she could get her hands on, the tummy ache, all the dka symptoms) and reading diagnosis stories, and seeing that they were exactly what was going on with my daughter prompted a late night call to the advice nurse through my daughter's pediatrician's office, which sent us to the ER...

This forum has been such a lifesaver for us. Frequently, when I have a question, I can get the answers here quicker than waiting for the endo's office to call back, and so far, the answers I've gotten here have been the same as the endo's answers.

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Another Washingtonian adding my voice of welcome to those of others. This is a great place. So glad you found us.

17. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Welcome, Kim! :)

18. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

So sorry about your son's dx, but I am very happy that you found us! My 12 year old son was dx'd in March, so we are still new to the world of D as well. I have found this forum to be a God-send! I have learned so much here, and have gotten so much helpful advice. Remember that we are always here to try to help when we can, or just to listen to you vent!!:)

19. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
    A few of you posted and asked that I fill you in on our dx process For about a week prior to the 15th of June, Cameron was drinking and using the potty a ton! This was a huge red flag for me and warranted a call to the peds office. We got an early appt with the PA who quickly sampled his urine and did a BG reading. Ketones in his urine and a high reading of 556 two hours after his breakfast. That bought us a ticket to the ER and a three day stay at the hospital. From what I can tell and what the doctor said is that we caught this very early. His A1Cs were 7.9 when he was admitted. Not that I know much, but apparently that is ok. So now after a three week whirl wind of information and crazy numbers, we are finally getting our feet planted on the ground. We are very fortunate that we got or dx in the early summer so that we could have some time to absorb and get used to the idea prior to school starting up in the Fall. Plus, we had some vacation time scheduled to just hang out at home this summer. No, big vacations trips... funny how things work out.
    Thank you all again for your sincere welcome. I am thrilled to have found all of you. What a wealth of knowledge you all are to me!!!