- advertisement -

Regular vs. sugar free

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You can also just test any liquid with a bg tester - we've done that when she thought the soda tasted "funny" and yes - when it comes back 412 you can be pretty sure it's not diet coke :p

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Interesting--Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll switch to a clear soda. Still it is odd, because its never registered on the CGMS, just a feeling she gets.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We tend to stay with real sugar sodas. But, my son only has some on Friday night. I had bought that Trop 50% less sugar OJ with Stevia but I started having hives and intense itching at base of throat. I will stick to the real stuff.
    I do keep sugar free spite in case of a high and sick. Only younger will drink it. Older son hates sodas .

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

The only thing we do sugar free is pop. Tastes fine and no sugar alcohols to worry about like a lot of of other sugar free items.

Otherwise we count the carbs and dose for them. The only time we tried anything else sugar free was in the NPH days when meals and snacks were extremely regimented in the amounts of carbs and times. We tried sugar free jello. She isn't a jello fan though no matter if it's regular or sugar free, so that didn't go over well.

I prefer the natural to the man made for her and on both MDI and pumping it's easy to deal with it so we do not restrict sugar/carbs any more than we would if D wasn't in the picture (generally). Sure I say no to stuff at times but that's because she might have already had too much junk that day or didn't eat a good meal etc.

5. Joyce_Schneider

Joyce_Schneider New Member

Hello,

A friend whose child has type1 diabetes asked me to comment here. I'm a health writer, my husband is a cardiologist with the CT Dept of Health, & I may be able to help. I've noticed here the hardly uncommon confusion between safe artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols, which can be problematic and often cause diarrhea & cramps. For sweeteners we use aspartame & Splenda - rather, the cheaper brand of Splenda sold at Stop & Shop ("same molecule," says Bob, my husband. :) He talks like that.)

I've asked him about Splenda for kids, and he says he's never heard of any problem. It's been around for 30 years and has been tested in many, many long-term studies and control studies. We also raised our kids on it; they're now in their mid-thirties & fine.

On the general distinction between the various kinds of sweeteners, here's a link from our site: http://tinyurl.com/ybvwqnq

I hope it helps!

Joyce Schneider

6. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I know on the type 1 boards over on the ADA website some of the adults have talked about prebolusing for their morning cup of coffee. I am not sure if it happens to all but it does happen. '
    Also talking abut clear soda, Mountain Dew is clear and it is caffeine loaded.

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I just found out I have fructose intolerance about 2 weeks ago. It has been a whole new learning curve. All foods have to be checked for frutose content. I have had to eliminate all foods with fructose. You would think it is only fruit but it also can include some vegetables. This has been so much fun. No artifical sugars, sugar alchohols, etc. Absolutely no HFCS. I have also eliminated anything with maltodextrin. Just too many issues. They told me I might try to add some fruit back into my food plan on the rare occasion after a while. I had never heard of fructose intolerance till two weeks ago, although I knew about lactose intolerance. There is nothing to take for fructose intolerance except to avoid foods with it.

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Same here Brenda! I do the same as you!

10. Toni

Toni Banned

Juice and real coke will never touch her lips unless she needs them for lows. Real coke.... we have accidentally gotten real when ordering diet. For us, the results on BGs are horrendous, into the high 3s and 4s. We were big diet Coke drinkers; her Mom has banned diet soda from the house now and she is drinking the flavored waters which also have artificial sweeteners in them. We limit cereal for times other than breakfast when it causes a spike we can't get down easily. She can eat other types of food. We just don't buy cakes, cookies, donuts and those types of sugary foods often. Have the 15 calorie cookie packs for her. Keep lots of flavored potato chips, and ice cream which do not cause high BS spikes. Give fruit or crackers or other spiky food 45 minutes to an hour after the bolus (if she is eating other food as well). Often use Saltines, pretzels or crackers if she is not too low for fast sugar now. She prefers to sugar or fruit sometimes.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had to do this yesterday... My dad got me a diet sprite but he was worried it wasn't and it'd be his fault if I went high, so I tested it to keep him happy. Came back LO so there wasn't anything to worry about.

12. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I think I'm in a different camp than most. We allow both diet and regular drinks. If someone is watching our kids I have them drink something "free" but otherwise they can have what they want. I prebolus for carbed drinks, and we don't over do it, but they can have regular soda and juice if they want it.

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

this is what we do, we usually see a HI.. the mommy bear comes out.:cool:

14. rare

rare Approved members

I tried the soda thing today and it didn't work. It gave me an error 4. I forgot that OneTouch changed their strips. Now they have a mind of their own and know when it's not blood sugar. :p lol bummer. I remember trying it a few years ago by dipping it in Pepsi and being amused by it.

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Drinks...Diet

Food...regular:)

Sugar, the same as before...Everything in moderation. His diet really hasn't changes except for very little juice unless low, and diet soda.

16. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Yep, if my kiddos want a "coke" we usually go with something like Sprite Zero, or Diet Root Beer (at home). Of course, when you are out, it seems like the only choice is water or diet coke.

(eta: Root Beer is not clear, but is caff free)

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

As far as soda goes, I've always bought diet - even before diabetes. Everything else is regular. Pumping and with shots.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Same here, although I do get the Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream, as someone mentioned above.

We always test Jack's soda with a BG strip when we are at a restaurant. I've only caught an error once, but it's worth wasting a strip on.

19. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We keep to regular sugar I'd say.
    No sodas ever for the kids. It's not something we kept or keep often at our house.
    Juices we allow at restaurants, sometimes at home. Usually we water it down.
    Cakes, etc, we don't do much, because I suck at baking.:eek: But they can have cakes at b-day parties or cookies sometimes. No diet ones, just the real stuff.
    Ice-cream, same. Full-fat. But they rarely have that...well, in the summer, it's quite often, LOL.
    No cereals for us. Breakfast is usually soy milk (flavoured) with a small sandwich, maybe a piece of fruit after.
    Every Sunday, dad goes out to buy these chocolate-filled croissants, and we have those. Yum!

So, to cut short, we prefer stuff with regular sugar.

The only thing we do have sugar-free is gummi-bears.

I do look at the ingredients list, and if sugar is mentioned in the first 3 listed, I tend to not buy that. But that was before D as well.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Don't forget about Barqs, it has caffine:cwds::cwds: It's the only rootbeer that does though:cwds: