- advertisement -

Regular vs. sugar free

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Feb 20, 2010.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

What do you prefer? Right now I've got Ella drinking diet if we are out. Soda has always been a treat, anyway so I'm not "fighting" this all the time but... The main reason I do diet out is really because figuring out carbs in a cup that's not mine that may or may not have ice in it just scares me. Right now we are MDI, but we will (hopefully) be pumping soon. I guess I was wondering if there is a big difference when you are pumping on what you choose. I guess it more applies to snacking between meals. When pumping she can theoretically eat as many carbs as she wants because we don't have to inject her again. Right now we keep within 15 for no shot.

This is getting long with me trying to explain what I'm asking...lol. I've always let my kids eat "real" sugar, because I don't let them very often and I think it's more easily digested than the fake stuff. Now, Ella has been eating more with the artificial sweeteners in it, I guess because I don't want to give her a ton of insulin. I know that sounds totally insane. Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Okay, so, pumping vs MDI. Is there a difference in your case when it comes to what and how much sugar you will allow your child to eat??

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I prefer sugar free when it does not use sugar alcohols. For example, diet soda, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, crystal lite. Those are all great for us with no side effects.

The problem is when manufacturers start using sugar alcohols and those are messy with blood sugars (you have to count 1/2 of the carbs for the sugar alcohols), there are still tons of calories, and it causes digestive problems.

No problem here with real sugar -- they can have cookies, cake, whatever, in moderation. If I have to choose between sugar free pie and regular, I'll probably choose regular.

3. rare

rare Approved members

The only sugar free we allow is diet drinks. We learned long ago that sugar free foods can be evil. They give him stomach cramps and diarrhea.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Liquid carbs are pretty evil in my book so, no, no "regular" soda. But then again we aren't big soda drinkers and she was 4 at dx and probably hadn't ever tasted the stuff. She has coke zero at home and diet coke when out but as often as not just drinks water ( milk is not her friend:rolleyes:)

Pumping wouldn't really make much of a difference when blousing for soda, except it would make all the needed corrections easier:p

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I agree. Even with prebolusing, liqiud fast carbs things like soda and juice just kick in too fast. For this kid I use juice for lows only.

My daughter was 3 at diagnosis and I NEVER gave soda but and only 100% juice before and for the first several months after Dx. Well, as DH would say, "My how the mighty have fallen." Diet soda and 2 carb kool-aide jammers are standards now :eek:.

A quick aside: dd doesn't always like diet soda, she says it sometimes makes her feel like her BGs going to go high, even if it is not. :confused:

6. mommylovestosing

Thank you for bringing that up. I meant to ask about that, too.
    :)

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we do diet soda's or light lemonade, diet ice tea.. she'll sweeten with splenda.. for candies and such, I'd rather do regular.. I'd rather her have the regular sugar than deal with sugar alcohol, plus the 'sugar free' candies are typically HIGHER in carbs. very misleading.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

No "real Soda", only diet, and either Splenda drinks. We do have reular juice and flavored watersb ut save those for lows and high activitiy where she is dropping already.

Food and other stuff, I preferr, Lower sugar items as opposided to sugar free and have no problem with regular "treats"

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

When we are out we do diet soda. At home we dont have "sugarless" stuff cause like Brenda pointed out it still has sugar alcohol and carbs and it give Steven diarrhea if he has too much. My MIL keeps buying him the sugarfree candy, I toss it in the trash and have told her that its not good for him, Id rather he have some candy with sugar.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

My kids, D or not, only get sodas on an extremely rare occasion. They drink milk, even when out. My biggest beef with that is the restaurants give such varying amounts its tough for me to guess - one time I think they brought my 4 year old 20ounces of milk- she typically drinks about 6ounces at a meal

11. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Our endo wanted her to only drink diet. They said the main reason is that one day when she is out and orders a diet soda if they accidentally give her diet she will know immediately, whereas if she keeps switching back and forth she will lose her ability to detect whether it's diet or regular . . .

12. timsma

timsma Approved members

We bring Diastix with us all the time. I keep a bottle of them in my purse just to be able to test pops for sugar content. More than a few times he's received regular pop rather than diet pop. He swears he can taste the difference, but that theory has been proven wrong on more than one occasion. By using the diastix to detect the presence of sugar it means no more guessing and unexpected highs.

Tim has only had diet pop since he was 2. I didn't even allow him to have pop at that age but when he was diagnosed, they just didn't have anything else to give him for his thirst when he was in the hospital. They asked me at 9am what type of pop he liked. I said he doesn't drink pop. They said he does now as there aren't many things without sugar available. Course, this was 13 years ago and now there are many choices out there,,,,,,,thankfully. He drinks only milk or water or diet drinks now,,,,,,,,but we do allow regular juice as long as he drinks it after the meal or at least half way thru the meal so the protein can slow the digestion of the sugar. Hope that all made sense.

13. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

regular v sugerfree

My son only drinks milk and water, he doesn't like soda, never did. And only drink juices to bring up a low.

I always take a kids cup from home with me to restaurant for that reason. i will know how much milk ds will be drinking, and since he like only chocolate milk i make him, i also bring the premeasure choc quik in the cup and just order milk to put in his cup. :)

14. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we do no sugar added foods when available. I try to not buy "special" foods for my son or husband who have type 1, however there are instances where it's better. Such as Log Cabin's Sugar Free syrup...I love it! I however can't handle much Splenda as it gives me migranes and the foods with Sugar alcohols give my son stomach issues. So...for this family whenever possible lower/no sugar added or "real".

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

We are primarily diet (sugar-free) or no-sugar added but mostly from a health related point of view. I really hate using juice but it's a necessary evil. The candy is regular and are treats. Ice cream is Breyers CarbSmart - we would use this regardless. We do not bother with diabetes candy or baked goods.

16. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Caffeine can make your sugar spike. Not everyone, but some people have issue with it. I know that my husbands grandfather is one.

17. mommylovestosing

I'm so glad I asked this question! What good info here! I am also concerned about her getting regular when she's ordered diet. What a nightmare that would be. Where can I get those Diastix? They sound like a lifesaver!

18. timsma

timsma Approved members

We get the diastix from Walgreens. They don't have them on the shelf, but rather behind their counter. Not sure why since an rx isn't needed. They cost about 10 bucks for a bottle of 50 of them. Any pharmacy should be able to order them though. I agree, they ARE a lifesaver!

19. Stanca

Stanca Approved members

No processed sugars

We try to avoid processed sugars at all cost. We use rapadura when baking/cooking. We do not buy products with high fructose corn syrup. This isn't because of D, this has been our way of life several years before! We tried a lot of different strategies for my husband's high cholesterol and hypothyroidism. When we cut HFCS and other processed sugars, his numbers came down! We notice that our daughter's BGs spike when she has any HFCS or other processed sugars. :eek:
    I personally think (and many people think I am crazy to think this) that big food companies have poisoned our whole food supply in the US.:mad:
    So, we do not buy soda, diet or regular. We try very hard to avoid all sugars (That said, we do fail sometimes...it was just Valentine's Day--Christmas before that...you get the point) and try to eat as naturally as possible.:eek:

20. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I use real sugar, stevia drinks or unsweetened