- advertisement -

Regular Snack Schedules on MDI

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Jul 5, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Do other parents have a somewhat regular snack schedule for their kids? It seems to be the only way to keep Sophie from going low between meals

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I do not have a purposeful snack schedule for my daughter. That said, she seems to eat at pretty much the same times every day. 3 meals a day with one snack between lunch and dinner Of course, she eats if she is low, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern of going low if she doesn't eat for a while.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

You shouldn't be feeding the insulin. If she is consistently going low, you might need to change your carb ratios for meals. :cwds:

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We do find that life goes better when my dd has at least an afternoon snack. She only occasionally needs an AM one. I suppose we are feeding the insulin but if we lowered things she would go higher after meals and that drives up the A1C. So, yes, we plan in a snack. Or you could say we delay part of her lunch if that makes it sound better. I know from pumping that her basal needs would vary a lot through the day. Since we can't do that with Levemir, we choose the have afternoon snack rather than to have her high at other times.

5. wearingtaci

This is us too,if we raise her ratio she needs a lot of corrections.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Have you tried changing basal instead of meal ratio? Lows between meals (or overnight) suggests too much basal. Well, that depends on how long you go between meals. If it's 4 hours or more, your basal dose might be too high.

We didn't have a regular snack time on MDI (nor do we now for pumping), but if that's what works for you, go for it. :) Do what works for you.

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Our old endo had us on free snack schedule morning and afternoon...She retired after 40 years..our new endo that looks look she's just out of high school lol..said no snacks unless covered.....we lowered, lowered insulin till we got it right. So yes, we stopped feeding the insulin. But keep in mind, certain activities etc my son would still go low now and then in between meals.

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We don't have a set snack schedule. If she is having an active afternoon (which actually is the case most of the time lately), I'll give he a little snack to keep her numbers up. But it really depends on where she is starting out. If she wants a snack over 10-15 carbs, usually we'll need more insulin to cover it.

9. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

I have nothing to add to this thread except: OP, your Sophie & our Jack have the same diagnosis date. (what a strange, strange world where I'm noticing when other people have been diagnosed with D... :eek:)

subbing to this thread for the snack info, though

10. Kcbscrapper

Kcbscrapper Approved members

Our schedule is to eat a snack when hungry.....lol. He's a growing teen boy so it seems like all the time.

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I spent a lot of time volunteering in DD's classrooms in elementary school. Every non-d child would tear into their backpacks for their snacks as soon as the morning and afternoon recess bells rang. They are growing and they are hungry. I think that a healthy snack should be part of their routine. Let her enjoy all the fabulous fruits that are available this time of year.

In strictly d-terms...if you inject basal in the morning.. we find Lantus and Levemir to peak 6 hours after DD injects, so a snack may be needed then, or a higher BG level to start to avoid the BG drop.

12. wearingtaci

What is really odd is we lived on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan when Sophie was diagnosed,directly across from Chicago

Sophie is always hungry,since her diagnosis,she is still little,but she is growing. Of course we don't know when her pancreas conked out,but I think it was slowly leaving for a while. For sure she feels better now then she did for a long time before being diagnosed

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

my dd took more than a few months to get out of the "starving mode" when she was DX'd at 13 months, I am not sure that feeling will stop with a pre/pubecent child!

I have known more than a few people that have a doubled basal going to try to deal with this sort of thing. Or basal burst than would equal a certin amount of carbs at appropriate times.

I hope you can figure it out.