advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

refusing to do section 504

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomOfType1andCeliac, Sep 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MomOfType1andCeliac

MomOfType1andCeliac Approved members

My daughter is type 1 diabetic and celiac. Sometimes she has stomach sensitivity that causes lot of issues with food. She was also behind in class cause she is severely dyslexic. When I called up the Wilson county 504 plan coordinator she said they don't do 504. I should work with the school and come up with a plan. I find this ridiculous. The school puts all pressure on parents to get things done as they want. I am just lost battling with a nurse and nurse supervisor who wants their life to be as easy as possible.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The 504 plan coordinator said that the school district doesn't do 504s? Um, what?

Send a letter to the 504 plan coordinator and copy the school principal and superintendent officially requesting a 504 meeting. If they refuse, then you can explore your options. But you have to have proof that you requested a meeting and they denied it or failed to act before you can proceed much further.

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

you need to look into a IEP. Her learning is impacted, and not just because of D or celiac. Make sure you document everything while in the process.

4. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

A written request for an eval for an IEP or 504 is needed. Then the school is required to proceed in a timely fashion. Good luck. The area education agency may also have a child advocate or parent - teacher liason available to help with the process.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Call your school principal

I agree - I don't understand why the district person would say this!?

But - I am a teacher in a public school. Where we are, each school has a 504 coordinator onsite. Usually it is the principal or assistant principal - sometimes guidance counselor. They CANT refuse to do one - it is federal law.

I would first contact your principal by phone to see if your school has a school-based 504 coordinator and request a meeting. If no response, then follow up in writing. I had to provide a doctor's letter as proof of my child's health condition for the plan to proceed. Maybe you can go ahead and get working on that on your end.

You should be able to get a quick response.

6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

CALL BACK ASAP and ask what the reason is for not doing a 504 for her.....we fought and fought with our son's school over wanting to have a 504 inplace last school year only to be told no each time I requested. I was finally told that he couldn't have a 504 b/c he had an IEP for delayed development. I then did some research and found out that the information that should be in a 504 for his diabetes needed to be included in his IEP and should have been added to his IEP at time of his diagnosis which was 6 weeks after his IEP was written.
    Do not waste time, I regret not pushing harder last year. Maybe a call from your Endo's office social worker will make the school understand that they need to work with you and not against you.

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

What state are you in?

8. MomOfType1andCeliac

Momofmarch2boys: Thanks for responding. I plan to speak to the counsellor offered by the doctors office. They had suggested I can do a 504.
    They did put my daughter in IEP but it does not cover the diabetes needs and the nurses role in it.
    I am in Tennessee.
    The section 504 co ordinator said that "we dont encourage anybody to do a secion 504. You need to work with your school and come up with a plan for your daughter" I thought that was what section 504 does in addition to enforcing it.
    At the moment I am so worn out with the stress school causes. The other thing I found so wrong was, we tried getting her in a montessori private school, they said they dont take kids with health issues like diabetes.

9. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Since you already have an IEP you really don't need the 504, it's extra paperwork when all the documents can be rolled into one. Once a student is placed on an IEP anything can be added to encompass every problem or diagnosis they have. Call for an IEP meeting (which can be called at anytime during the year) to amend the modifications and accomodations to add diabetes.

Don't go for the 504, demand that they amend the IEP.

If they refuse to amend the IEP, contact the American diabetes association advocates, and file complaints with OCR.

10. momtojess

I am going to send you a private message. I think I can help you. I'm in TN too (county next to you). We had trouble in 2007 and got things changed for the whole district.

11. momof2marchboys

I agree with the above - this is where we had troubles - they didn't want to amend the IEP and I didn't know that I could call a team meeting whenever I felt necessary. Our endo's office didn't know that you couldn't have an IEP and a 504 inplace at the same time. I found that out from another family friend that taught in another district. There is a special section in the IEP for other items that can be added - we have added that prior to doing any "testing" for his quarterly checklists that his BG has to be with certain ranges; that if there is a field trip outside of school that the parents be given 1-2 weeks notice so arrangements can be made, and more things -

Good Luck

12. MomOfType1andCeliac

Thanks a lot. While I was complaining :) on this post, I was also reading about if I needed a 504 or what can help me. From what I have read it says If I have IEP I dont need 504.
    Thanks All

13. momof2marchboys

You need to make sure the IEP encompasses the diabetes related items b/c the IEP is probably not in place due to her diabetes......so the IEP will need to be reviewed and modified to include diabetes care and accomodations like access to bathroom when needed, extra time for tests if she is high or too low, right to have food in class when low, when testing of blood sugars should be done and where they can be done at (anywhere in the building), if having a low blood sugar to not be left alone.
    Do not take anything for granted when it comes to the school and the care for your child.

14. momtojess

Exactly this, and also make sure the celiac is included in the IEP also. (How to handle parties, stomach aches, etc)

15. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

This is a link to ADA website discussing 504 plans and diabetes under federal law. Maybe print and give to principal?? Sounds like they need to be educated about what 504 plans are for - accomodations based on her medical needs - testing in class, before tests, extra time to complete assignments if ill, blood sugars are out of range. the IEP would be fior accomodations necessary for her dyslexia.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...hool/written-care-plans/section-504-plan.html

16. mamamccoy87

Link showing difference between IEP and 504 plan

17. mamamccoy87

18. momof2marchboys

Since she already has an IEP for the dyslexia in place she can not have a 504 plan and the IEP needs to be modified for the diabetes and celiac accomodations that would be in a 504 plan.
    My son's IEP is for delayed devleopment which was wrote 6 weeks before he was diagnosed with diabetes - had I known then what i know now I would have an IEP meeting when he returned to school after being in the hospital for 3 days and out for the rest of that week until I got to school to train staff (no school nurse) to add the diabetes accomodations to his IEP as the rest of that school year was a nightmare for us and now that his IEP includes his diabetes care the school is now accountable for doing those things where before they were not.

19. MomOfType1andCeliac

Well there are no tests in public education system for Dyslexia. I learnt that there are some universities offer dyslexia results upon detail examination and that can be given to request for IEP .But I did not have to go that far. Most of the dyslexic kids show signs of ADHD and thats why she qualified for IEP. The school has been pretty accomodative on her test location, but I have not looked at what accomodations it has for her ,for Diabetes and Celiac. The problem I have with the school nurse , and the county head nurse is they are refusing to give her extended bolus, or monitor her if she administers her self. Because as per the school nurse and the county head nurse it is not covered in doctors orders. Doctors orders does say use pump to administer bolus. And combo(extended bolus) is a option under the bolus option in pump. She is also refusing to follow the IHP since it has the word combo mentioned in it. Hence was thinking about 504.

20. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

The phrase that you may want to add to the IEP is "Follow the IHP as written by her doctor". And make sure the doctor specifically says in the bolus section of the IHP "Allow student/parent to decide whether a combo bolus is necessary". These statements are simple and address the bigger issue, on a long term basis, of not following the IHP

If they refuse to follow the IHP than contacting the Office of Civil Rights or the American Diabetes Association school advocate would be the next best step.

Just to ask, why is an extended bolus being used at school?

The main thing is that an IEP will do more than a 504. IEPs "trump" 504 in means of legal protection and the greater amount of accommodations and modifications. 504s are just the common on the forum because many don't have children with additional educational barriers.

Since she has an IEP, anything can be added no matter how small. Whether it has to do with Dyslexia or not. An IEP is meant to cover the whole student, not just one particular diagnosis or primary IEP classification. Most schools will not do a 504 and IEP plan with the same student because it is unneeded paperwork.