- advertisement -

Refuses to wear pack

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Jan 2, 2012.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

OK so my son is 3, and we just put the pump on him for the first time today. Its got saline in it right now. He hasnt really stopped crying since we poked him and he is whining its hurting. I know its really not though because if I detach the tubing he said it stops. So I know the site itself isnt hurting him. But anyway, I got him a spibelt and he had it on for a while, but then he took it off and refuses to wear it. He just wants it clipped to his pants. His pants are staying up, but im worried about the pump getting damaged at all. Also, I dont know what to do with the extra tubing! He is only 3 so there is a lot of excess.
    Should I make him wear the pack or is it ok clipped on his pants???

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Saline stings. Someone should have warned you about that in preparation for your pump training. When you "bolus" you should disconnect and just let it drip off the tubing not into him.

I've never understood what value there is in forcing a child, especially a young one to having both injections AND in infusion set. If you will be learning the pump it might be better for you to wear the saline and practice bolusing on yourself. ;)

3. britbabi84

I did have it on me. I went to training on friday and they put it on me, and then they wanted us to put it on him today. Its not the saline thats bothering him because I did a bolus and he didnt even notice it. It was just having it attached to him. He has calmed down a lot now and is busy playing, im just worried about it not being protected in a pack and all the extra tubing. Im not sure what to do it with it to keep it out of the way

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son didn't like spibelts when he was little either. The buckle and belt bothered him. I ended up buying some homemade fabric ones. He picked out a superman material that he loved wearing and showing off to people. It doesn't look like the lady I bought from still has a site but their are a bunch of neat ones on Etsy.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

On the pump pouch and tubing - while I really like spibelts, they are stiff and not as comfortable as some of the softer fabric belts that you can get. Perhaps it's just not comfortable? And the tubing... the shortest length is 23" ( I believe) is that what you have? Most folks sort of wrap the excess around the pump before putting it in the pouch.

Just know that pumps are sturdy things. Unless it's being abused (tossed on a tile floor - thrown in the toilet) it won't be damaged by normal wear and that includes getting knocked and dropped and dragged ;)

6. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Glad he is feeling better and playing now..My son only wore the belt for a short time. He will shove it in his pocket or lots of times he just puts it on the inside of his pants between his waste and the pants waste..That seems to be were he likes it the best. For the extra tube, for now maybe try to put it in his pants..( you know kind of on his waste..) Or maybe put it in his pocket, I used to cut a hole in the bottom of the pocket pull the tube through then he would put the pump in his pocket..I was always worried about the extra tubing at first too...You get used to it after a while.. If I see Blake's tube sticking out I still go say hey bud tuck that in...lol...:) He has yet to get it caught on something, or then his baby brothers fingers..:eek: Like others have said, the pump is pretty tough..Good luck on starting the pump and congrats..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My son will be 3 in March. We had trouble with the belts pulling his pants down. Someone on here recommended Kangaroo Pouch t shirts. They are sleeveless shirts with a pocket on the back for the pump. The tubing goes through a hole in the back of the pocket and stays underneath the shirt. I love these shirts! They really keep everything contained and out of the way. They were about $20 each though. I am lucky and have a family member good at sewing. I bought a bunch of undershirts and she sewed pockets on them for me. Much cheaper! Maybe that will be easier for your son to adjust to, since it is just another shirt. We do use the belt at night since it is easier to reach under jammies.

8. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

You may want to try Tally Gear. http://www.tallygear.com. My son is 10, so I'm not sure if the small is going to fit your 3 year old, but they are soft material and velcro around the middle. They ship fairly quickly also, so you could have it by the end of the week, if it's something you think will work. You can tuck all the excess tubing into the pocket w/ the pump. They have 3 pockets, so if you need a pocket for a DexCom transmitter, it's there. Good luck with the pump start. :)

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'd be concerned of the tubing hanging and getting caught on something. My daughter is 10 and sometimes forgets about her tubing. So, yes, I would make him wear a pack. One word...bribery!
    I would go to www.pumpwearinc.com or and let him pick out one he likes. In addition, I would purchase a "softy" belt to go along, they are much more comfortable. Pumpwear is pricey, but the packs hold up forever. We actually still have the first one Abby ever chose, and it's close to 6 years now!

As for the crying, it probably is because he's totally annoyed there is something stuck to him now, that's how my daughter was (age 4 at start of pumping), but in time it became no big deal. We made sure that the set change occurred when she was the most relaxed. We would let her watch a special DVD to distract her. Made for no-hassle set changes.

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan began pumping the month before turning four. He was excited to begin, but the first morning of waking up with it he announced that he hated it! He carried on, making excuses about why he couldn't wear it. I told him that he had to give it some time and if he still hated it after a month we could talk about quitting. Then I made sure to give him plenty of little treats that he would not have been able to have befoe due to the tiny dose of insulin.

If your son is not hooked up to insulin and is balking at wearing the pump, then I would question the value of wearing it before going "live". All he is experiencing are the negative aspects of the pump.

11. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

We choose fabric that my son thinks is "cool" and send it into Angel Bear Pump Wear to have them make pouches. He currently has a snake pouch, but has had trains, cats, footballs, Star Wars, and others. I'd let him pick out some fabric and have a pouch made. They're much softer than SpiBelts, and you can get them with clear fronts so that you never really need to take the pouch out.

I wouldn't make him wear it while he's still getting shots. If he can't see the benefit, of course he's going to hate it.

12. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

My son who is now 6 first started pumping when he was 3, for about the 1st year or so we got under shirts from Wal-mart or Target and sewed pockets either on the side or the pack and placed the pump in those, we never had a problem with him trying to mess with them while using those shirts. We have now moved to the pouches and sometimes the pockets. We tried those things when younger to and they just did not work. I hope that you will find soemthing that will work for you guys, it definately makes things easier! I definately recommend the shirt pockets!

13. britbabi84

I think I might have to try that! Do you just cut a rectangle and sew it on? I dont have a sewing machine or anything so I would be doing it by hand, and im not too skilled with sewing lol.

We finally got him to wear his spibelt. Its going through the loops of his jeans and he is happy with that. I guess as long as we have belt loops we are ok! He has pretty much forgotten about it as well. Im not looking forward to when we have to do the first site change though because he will know whats coming. He has it on his belly right now but i think next time we will go on the leg that way the tubing his under his jeans

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree with that - I see no need for him to do saline either.

I also agree with bribes. And we used the shirts with the pocket on the back for the pump - from Pumpwear, Inc. They are pricey there but those things held up for YEARS. I could never sew one as nice and I tried - ha ha! If the pump set is on the top of the hip and the pump is on the back then the cording doesn't get a problem.

If you aren't already, I think EMLA cream should be used for site changes. Put a dollop on (about a dime size blob) and cover with something like IV3000. Leave it on for one hour before changing the set. We've used this since he started pumping when he was 2 yrs old and there is no reason not to use. It definitely helps and he rarely feels pain with the stick.

15. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Basically it is just a rectangle but you need to make sure it is big enough for the pump to fit inside of, take into account the part that you will be sewing down.. For the closure you can buy that velcro that sticks on there and use that to close the top or if you can sew a button on you can do that and use some elastic to secure it!

I can not sew either but I was able to get my Mother to help me.. I am experimenting with my sewing machine now in making some other kind of pouches, hoping they turn out well!

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My daughter started pumping at 3. She never really noticed the pump, or really didn't care... I did talk about how the pump would keep her from having multiple shots in a day (and them making you use saline, is evil. We had to do that too and having to explain to her that now she had to have a pump AND shots was hard but she delt it with, thankfully its only a few days). She's worn both pouches and clips...The pump does get banged up more with the clip than the pouch but if he's happy with a clip then I'd go with it.. I'd get a screen protector for the screen on the pump, thats theonly thing that we noticed gets more 'damage' to it when using a clip vs. a pouch.

What he may not like is the belt.. try a different type of belt, let him pick out his own pouch, with a cool kids character on it... if he has choices he may be more willing to wear it. Bribery IS ok, ;) My daughter does much better with a thinner, lighter belt than the big web belts... I know the spibelt changed their belts from what they were originally, I won't buy one now because its to wide and I know she won't like it. We've been getting her pump pouches from Pumptastic. I really like their one that looks like a spibelt. But I love the fabric better, holds together better, and the belt is so much better for her too... We're going to be ordering one of their window pouches soon... as soon as K can decide on a design.

17. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

We had a similar issue and did both pouch, clip and free floating in bed. We liked the pouch but DD was fighting us. We resolved it by allowing our DD to pick her own pouch on line (TooSweetBoutiqe) there are several makers. She had ownership and got what she wanted, Pink to match the pump. We coil the tubing and put it in the pouch behind the pump. It has a sewn "Button hole" for the resivoit to go into the pouch. We like this feature. It also has a plastic window so we can bolus without taking the pump out of the pouch :). The little headaches of pouches and sets are well worth the 1.5-2.0 drop in A1c that we got with the pump the first two checks.

18. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

This is what we did with my 3 year old. I'm not a great seamstress, but I can sew a pocket on. I liked them on the side of the shirt, so she didn't have to sit on it in the car seat, etc. We changed over to Spi-belts after a few months, and that is all she uses now. Good luck! It is amazing what gets into a 3 year old's mind!

19. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

I say let him do as he pleases. The pump and tubing can take it.

Jack has been pumping since he was 5, and has never had a belt of any kind. The tubing gets tucked in his pants top and stays there except when he pulls it out to twirl on his finger. Only once has a site been dislodged from a tubing pull and we've never had a tube leak or break.

Jack used to pound his Ping pump on the floor or door when he got mad. At one point I called to see if I could get an insurance rider on "neglect", the insurance woman was very nice and said: "No, but it's covered for loss.... do you live near woods or a lake"?

We lose more sites to Jack putting his pants on and off to go to the bathroom.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012