- advertisement -

Refrigerate Humalog Vial?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RosemaryCinNJ, Jan 15, 2009.

1. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Amanda no longer uses the pens..We are back to syringes and vials of insulin..Does Humalog have to be kept in the refrigerator or can I keep it at room temp? The only one labeled to keep cold was the Lantus. ???
    Thank you. (when we were using the pens, once used it could be left at room temp..but I am unsure about the vials)

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

It can be kept out.

3. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

I keep the lantus and humalog out at room temp. I do this only after opened. Keep refrigerated before opening.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

You can keep it out..

5. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I was told it should be refrigerated until opening and then it could be left out up to 30 days only. We used to write the opening date on the box.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Unopened vials of Humalog and Lantus should be refrigerated. Opened vials can be stored at room temp for a minimum of 28 days and a maximum of 3? days.

7. trisha

trisha Approved members

does it have a negative effect if you do keep it refrigerated the entire life of the vial?

8. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Cold insulin burns more when it is injected. Cold insulin also creates more bubbles in the syringe.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It should not effect the working action of the insulin, but I agree with the above post about stinging.

10. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Thank you...I will be opening both vials today..so I will keep at room temp and write todays date on the boxes..(love this tip!)