- advertisement -

Recently diagnosed daughter

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Stanca, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Stanca

Stanca Approved members

Hello, our daughter, 8, was diagnosed this past December with type 1 diabetes. After a couple of days in the hospital -- all of Christmas Eve and most of Christmas Day, ugh -- she is home, back to school, and giving herself her own injections. We are amazed by her resilience. Eager to learn more and more in her care and treatment.

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Welcome to our little club!!

What a pain to spend the holidays in the hospital learning all this!!

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Wow you have an awsome little 8 year old there. My granddaughter is almost 8 and she tests herself, is learning to count carbs and add them up, she can enter them into her pump and give herself a bolus, but in the beginning she was no where near as together as your daughter is. You are definitely dealing with a smart, determined daughter! I am so glad you found this site. There IS so much to learn!!! I learn something almost everytime I come here and we have been at this for three years!!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:) My son Steven is almost 9, he was diagnosed at 3. Im so sorry you had to spend the holidays in the hospital but thankful you found out what was wrong with your daughter. She is going to be fine now and will be able to do anything and everything she wants in life. What a brave girl she is already giving her own shots. Im sure you are very proud of her.

5. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Welcome. CWD is a great place to learn from others. I am sorry about your child's dx. It sounds like you are doing great!

6. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome, you found a great place for support and answers!

7. Toni

Toni Banned

Sorry to hear about your daughter. DN was also dx'd at 8. I am amazed she is able to give her own shots and is so responsible at such an early age. Sorry this effected your holidays this year; by the time Christmas rolls around next year, you will be an old pro. Glad you found this site and I would purchase some books that can be a big help. "Type 1 Diabetes, Ragnar Hanas" (my favorite); "Think Like a Pancreas" Gary Scheiner; "Using Insulin" John Walsh; "Pumping Insulin" John Walsh; Calorie King book. Pink Panther book on Diabetes, I think Peter Chase?

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad you've found the board. Its a great place.. loads of information.

Sorry to hear of your daughter's diagnosis, sounds like she's a great kid:).

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that. I second the recommendation of those books.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...ad.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

10. Stanca

Stanca Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions. We've been reading maniacs since we found out. I will check these out. Thanks!

11. MaryMom

MaryMom Approved members

So sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis, but you have found the right place for support and information!

Our 13 yo daughter was diagnosed in October, 2009. We are still adjusting and learning more each day, and most of the information comes from this site!

Welcome!

12. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

I'm so glad you found us, but sorry for your daughter's diagnosis. Your knowledge will grow and grow. There is no "perfect" with diabetes, just do your best. You will learn many great things here to help with the care of your daughter. There is a kids section for our children that you may want to check out.