- advertisement -

Recall on gluten free cheerios

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by SarahKelly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Just a heads up there has been a recall on GF Honeynut and regular cheerios of specific lot #'s. My son, sadly, got very sick from these cereals. URGH. Not going to try them again until they have a bit more experience in the GF world.
    Here's the link
    http://www.cheerios.com/glutenfreerecall

they have a blog post on their site about it, too...I hate to admit it but I am a little miffed about it all as it did make the back to school really rough when your child is sick at the same time as transitioning to school routines and you're not sure if they're having a belly ache from back to school worries or because of a food they ate. Glad we know now.

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Thanks for posting.

My daughter loves the Honey Nut Cheerios. She has been eating it everyday for breakfast, and would hate to give it up.

Sorry your son got sick from it. So, your box is on the recall list?

I checked ours, and the boxes are not on the list. I just tested it using my gluten test kit, and it tested negative. My daughter does not have symptoms.

3. SarahKelly

yep, they were part of the lot #'s on the list. I feel horrible finding out that I was forcing him to just "suck it up" because I thought his behavior was all about not wanting to go back to school.

4. iliisa

iliisa Approved members

Hi Sarah ... I have been following General Mills' posts and articles re gluten free Cheerios - I have T1 (43 years) and also Celiac (8 years) (i run a Celiac support group in Naples, FL). I am not surprised by this announcement. Time will tell as to how they clean up their act. Currently, it is recommended for Celiacs NOT to consume gluten free cheerios.

DId you happen to report the Lot #s that your son got sick from? You prob threw out the box already??? If you have the lot # (and "best by" date) and want to know how to report the info, let me know.

You should take a look at www.glutenfreewatchdog.com THey have published VERY indepth reporting on General Mills. Not all of it is available to the public, but the lastest posts are :).
    Sorry your son got sick.
    Liisa
    T1 43 years
    Pumping 14 years, CGMing 4 years
    Celiac 8 years

5. SarahKelly

Thank you Liisa, I did call and report it. They offered to replace the boxes and I said no thank you as we would not be trying their cereal anytime again soon. It was just a bummer because it totally threw off his back to school. Grrrr for crappy procedures in place with something this important. And, for those that think it doesn't matter I'd have loved them to see my son running to the bathroom during the first week of school with the abdominal issues he was having. His BG numbers were nearlly impossible to keep up, he had rashes, headaches and was a bear to be around. I am just glad we figured out what was going on and it makes me once again feel that eating homemade food is the only truly safe bet. Thanks for your info on the gluten free watchdog, I'll check it out.

6. iliisa

iliisa Approved members

SarahKelly ... are you aware of the class action suit that was filed in CA on October 30 against General Mills re False advertising? If you want further info, let me know.

7. SarahKelly

Sorry, haven't checked the celiac forum in a long time. I had no idea there was a class action lawsuit. I'll look it up or you can msg me on here. Thanks.

8. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

Shoot. We tried them a couple of weeks ago. And we've been very careful since our son's dx in Nov. 2015. :mad:

9. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

10. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

I hope so, but I have no way of knowing if we were affected since the box is long gone. Thank you for posting the link.