- advertisement -

Recall of freestyle test strips for PDM for low readings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Feb 20, 2014.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Well, that only took a year.

I don't even understand this. How can it be the strips when they say another meter is just fine? What are they going to do, reformulate the strips for the PDM?

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't get it either. I switched to the Verio IQ because of this issue (and they are free with my insurance) but I still have at least 2000 freestyle strips. According to people on the omnipod facebook group they are only able to replace 400 strips per person. I can't even figure out what they will be replacing them with though..... I'm glad Abbott finally admitted they have a problem though.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

We're not podding, but I'm seriously losing my confidence in Freestyle (ok,I lost it about 2 years ago but sometimes I'm slow).

We have an endo appt today. I think it's beyond time that we switch meters.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Just FYI, if you are going to call them you need:
    Omnipod PDM
    All test strip vials
    Insurance card
    Pharmacy name and phone number
    Physician name and phone number

ETA:
    Technically, the above is what you need. However, I declined to provide insurance and physician info and it wasn't an issue. I also said I didn't have time to read out all 20 lot numbers and they said they only needed one for "verification purposes."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am so pissed, and relieved at the same time. Not sure relieved is the right word?

I knew it! and her A1C showed it!

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Only 400 - I've got way way more than that. I was supposed to be laid off last spring so stockpiled while I could, and now still working so working through the pile.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Apparently, once you run out of the 400 they send, they will then replace more when they can......

9. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

This is confirmation of a discussion on here awhile ago, which led me to use the Accu-Chek Nano and manually input. I had noticed the difference between the two meters. The CDE suggested that Freestyle was more accurate when in range, but not so much for out of range readings. It is an inconvenience to have to manually input, but I trusted the numbers more from the Nano. The Insulet /Omnipod customer service said that my only recourse was to have the meter tested against lab blood results - at my own expense.

I am so sorry for those of you using those strips and have a reserve of them. I hope they make it right.

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Anyone know if the PDM strips work in the InsuLinx meter? I know the lites will work in the PDM and the old strips will work in the Lite meters. We got an InsuLinx as back up and it would be great to use it until they figure this out if the strips will work.

11. swellman

I mean, they don't even mention lot numbers or ANYTHING just that all strips out there are bad unless I'm reading something wrong.

The Lite strips DO NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY in the PDM and are not to be used. They will give a reading but that doesn't mean they work correctly.

12. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

I specifically asked that question when I called. The CSR said that there were no lot numbers associated with the recall. I tried to ask the question a couple of different ways, but it was pretty obvious she was reading from a script and was not going to deviate from it.

13. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Me too! When I took the kids to the endo last week, both had the exact same 90 day average on their CGMs. One calibrates with a Freestyle meter and one with the OmniPod PDM. Her a1c was 6.5 and his was 7.4. I know that it is more than just an average but with the exact same CGM number, I really expected them to be closer. After they gave me the numbers, I asked the nurse if she had heard anything about the PDM measuring low and she hadn't. I had read it on here and was curious.

I just don't understand replacing the strips. Wouldn't it be a PDM issue? And I'm dreading the call because I use Freestyle for two kids but only one with an OmniPod. I really don't want split supplies and need one to use some strips and the other to use new strips, but we have more than 400 sitting in the cabinet. What a hassle.

14. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We have very few strips on hand, and I was planning to refill our strip RX this weekend. Has anyone who's talked to customer service learned if pharmacies will have access to the working, replacements strips, or will we be re-filled with the ones that don't work in the PDM? (I'm sorry if this sounds like kind of a dumb question; I'm confused by Abbott's press release.)

15. swellman

I makes no sense at all ... is there going to be a new NDC Number? If not how are we to tell the difference? Their not changing the NDC when they went from the old style to the butterfly style was one of the major problems encountered when the new strips came out and weren't approved for the PDM - pharmacies had no idea there were two different products floating around out there. Unless they publish a manufacturing date no one will know which strips are good or bad.

Thanks Abbott.

Again.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

This is what I'm wondering as well. Here's the other issue; they're actually removing the two older meters from the market that use the same "non-lite" strips https://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/press-room/2014/2014-a.html which I think makes no current meters which use those strips. So are they essentially removing ALL "non lite" strips from the market and then will allow replacements to be sent? So from where Insulet replacing strips? Some magical stockpile that only they posses? And is it the strips, or the meters? It makes zero sense.

But beyond that, in novemember the recalled a whole mass of lot numbers of both lite and non-lite but only when used in certain meters. This also makes no sense.

Where is the actual problem? Strips? devices? Where? And why are people using "lite" strips in their PDMs anyway?

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We used the lite strips in the PDM for years because no one including our omnipod rep and endo told us to do otherwise and we just didn't know any better. It always matched up fine with labwork. I only switched to the regular freestyle strips this summer when I switched to the new PDM and the (new) rep freaked out that I was using the lite strips. I never had any issues with freestyle accuracy until the new PDM (at which point I had major accuracy issues).

I just can't figure out how Abbott is planning to fix this by replacing strips. I still think the issue is with the actual PDM meter since the strips work fine in the freedom meter.

18. Joa

Joa Approved members

I don't think so. In Germany actually Abbott has started just the same call back action adressed ad users of the Navigator 1.0 and 1.5.
    Both are with a FreeStyle meter that has to be coded.

The problem seems to be only the CODE 16, given with the FreeStyle strips which are absolutly eaqual to the FreeStyle lite strips. So the FreeStyle strips will work fine further on in non codeable FreeStyle meters or in Pod PDM's or other meters with need need to code if you are using code 17 or 18.

The Navigator has as default the code 18 if a reset is made.

Regards
    Joa

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

I called the recall line today and they are sending out 400 new strips (which annoys me because I have 800 currently in our stockpile) but as others have said, when I questioned what lot numbers were involved they couldn't tell me. (?) I then asked for a Freestyle meter so that I can use up the strips I have as I hate to waste them and the rep I spoke with said they weren't giving out meters. I told him it wasn't like I could buy the meter in a store as they don't sell them anymore but he couldn't help me, so I called the actual Abbott Customer Service line and they are sending out a meter. But that still doesn't explain why the Freestyle meters are fine but the Freestyle meters in the PDM aren't. This whole thing with Omnipod and Freestyle has been a cluster you-know-what from almost the very beginning.....

20. swellman

Nah, it was good for a long time ...