- advertisement -

Really wet overnight diapers , normal numbers - no ketones?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

I absolutely love this forum! I seem to always have a random question and its so great jus to come on here.
    Thank you everyone!

My son has been waking up with very wet diapers! Through his feety Jammie's and completely soaking his pump belt.
    He is a fantastic sleeper an goes down at 7pm and wakes 7am. His numbers when he wakes are usually 250 (our endo wants 200) we do get the random 80-150. But he never has keytones.. So why is he sooooo wet? Is it just the pampers? But I feel like he shouldn't be peeing so much at night since he is almost 2 (June 10) but he is my third and we are still so new to diabetes so.. Is this normal?

2. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Seems to be a typical wetting issue beginning at around 18 months - not diabetes related. Usually around that age, kids begin to consume more liquid and diapers just don't hold it all.

With my grandson, we found that putting the next size up diaper on him at night helped a lot.

3. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Our son is almost 4 (in March) and has been potty trained probably since May I'd say. He still wears diapers at night, and probably 4-5 out of 7 nights he's soaked through or almost soaked through.
    He also sleeps all night from 7:30-6:30. When he's higher (over 200) he will definitely wake up wet. If Dex alerts during the night for whatever reason, I'll usually check him and if he's pretty full as it is, I'll change him since I know he won't last the rest of the night.

It's a common thing that a lot of parents go through when the numbers are a bit higher, over 200.

4. Deal

Deal Approved members

The renal threshold for glucose is around 160-180, so when numbers get higher than that the body reacts by producing more urine and getting rid of the extra glucose that way. So until your target numbers become lower you should expect what you are seeing. Make sure he drinks lots of liquids to help the process.

5. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I found with my kids especially my son, when they woke up soaked like that, they had started actually holding their pee all night and going when they woke up and it would be so much, so fast, the diaper couldn't hold it. If I could get there either as soon as I heard him stir or right before, he was often dry and I could put him on the potty.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What are his numbers during the night?

7. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I don't know what's normal but i have been wondering about this with my daughter. she is 4 and has been potty trained since she was 2 but has always needed a diaper at night (dx this past may). She is also a very deep sleeper. She is often in the 200's overnight and I feel like this has been the cause, but I wonder about it because she would wake up wet before dx. She has expressed that she doesn't want the pull up on (we put it on after she is asleep) but I'm afraid she will wet the bed and I don't want her feeling bad about it if its not something she can control. So I go back and forth between blaming the D and thinking she may have had this issue anyway. She also drinks a lot of water.