- advertisement -

really, seriously???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momtojess, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hey Marsha, I totally understand you. I've felt that way too at times, but always came back. Kind of addicted, kwim?;)

You are missed. Though I never fully understood your posts at the time, I am starting to get them now.:eek: I don't learn very fast.

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Thanks Karla, Paula, I am so grateful to have such wonderful CWD friends such as yourselves. It's nice to be missed, but in the end, even with all the techical jargon and all the science, management is a very individual thing. The term YDMV has rung more true for me than anything else I ever took away from here. That's the biggest thing I had to learn, and no one can teach you that, it's something you come to realize on your own. I did so with the help of CWD and wonderful parents such as yourselves. Thank you.

Oh and thanks to everyone I pissed off when I first joined here. You were all so right, and I was a dufus!!:eek: That's another story though. Love you all!! ;) As a newbie, and I think many newbies can relate, this disease can take you by the throat and pull you in. It was so stressful in the beginning and I was highly sensitive and as a result, sometimes insensitive towards people. I apologize to anyone I offended.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think that for me, when I joined CWD I had an experience that many have shared. I was happily overwhelmed by the abundance of information and resources available through this site. :)

I was actually on here for quite some time before I discovered the Forums, and then had that same experience all over again of being happily overwhelmed. :) It was like "Wow, there are people on here in the same boat as us that I can talk to and exchange ideas with and help to learn and learn from..". I've made extensive use of the site since then..

Over that time I've gone from being a Junior Member to Senior Member to Crusty Oldtimer.. :rolleyes:

I find the site as valuable now as it was then. I also find the Forums as valuable now as they were then. There have been changes - there's a lot more people on here now, which I see as a good thing. There is also from time to time a major blow up on some thread or other, which I don't remember seeing when I joined. But it's quite possible that I missed the blow ups back then, as I was very focussed in the information I was seeking and didn't have as much time as I maybe do now to thread surf.

I am concerned about the blow ups, and about the occasional loss of civility that we can lapse into and that often leads to those blow ups. I can understand the loss of civility (having been guilty of it myself more than once), as we're all trying our best on not enough sleep and often under considerable stress to meet the ongoing challenge of managing our childrens' diabetes - and to keep up with the rest of our lives as well.

But I have a grave concern, namely that at some point the folks who run this site decide that the Forums have just become too big a pain in the butt and that they pull the plug. That would be unbearable. :(

I think we all owe it to ourselves to try to do better in communicating with one another in a civil way. To step away from the computer and go for a walk if we notice we're angry and about to post something. To give others the benefit of the doubt, even if what they've posted seems off or rubs us the wrong way..

At this time I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely apologize for any and all snarky posts that I've personally made in the past and in particular to apologize to anyone I've hurt with the way I responded to a post or a thread, and to undertake to do my best to avoid making those mistakes going forward.

These Forums are a gift, and they are as good or as bad as those of us posting here make them. If we want them to be different, then it's up to us to make that change happen. :cwds:

4. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

I would also agree that these forums have been great asset to me and my family. We started this journey almost three years ago and this year had a second child diagnosed.

Thank you to everyone here for the support and advice!!!

5. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

So true, thanks Wilf

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

wilf, as always, an inspiration. I cant imagine a day without logging on to this site. I shudder to think of where we would be right now without the vast amount of info and support I have gotten here. To many stories have made me laugh, and to many have made me cry. this place really is the best.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

This:

This.

And then, this:

8. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i started on this forum 4 years ago, and i can say it has changed. But about the stars. For all these years i never paid attention to the stars, and how you got to vote until now. But dont care about the ratings. Just want to get human kindness in getting some advice in helping my daughter to get her through this awllfull disease.

9. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Wilf,
    You have never been anything other than a true gentleman and a treasure trove of common sense.

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

never mind

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Marsha, you know I love you.. We had 'words' a few times.. I'm so glad we had those words though.. we understand each other, I'm so glad we are friends, not only here, but on FB as well.. You are truely a great person, wish we'd stop in more often though, but totally understand why you don't!

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Miss seeing you 'round!!

13. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Welcome back! It would be a great shame to lose you or for you to lose this great support network.

14. Mfry

Mfry Approved members

I can say that I don't post much - as you can see from my post count :) - but I do lurk now and then. I found this place about a year after diagnosis. I can say I am not that comfortable posting here, nothing has ever been said to me personally, but some of the things I've seen bother me. At the same time, I have learned from the site alot and made a few friends.

I am a member of another board....and I am more comfortable posting there, I just don't see the type of comments there that I sometimes see here, and I see them all on the other board since I am a moderator there.

Now please don't think I'm insulting anyone - just going by what I have seen and I certainly do not read every post on this board at all...I can just say that every time I've thought of posting, I think twice and usually end up not doing it, kind of like now, I will hesitate before hitting "submit reply" but I'm going to do it anyway.

15. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

No one should feel like that, especially when all we want is information and support. I am glad you posted.

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I cringe when I read something like this. It's a bit like taking one bit of broccoli and declaring it lousy and no good never to try it again, but then showing up in the broccoli lovers forum to tell everyone there how crap their broccoli is.

As a moderator on another system, surely you know that just showing up doesn't make one part of a community. Contributing to the community - giving to the community and it's members - is what makes one a member.

It's like broccoli. You can't knock something until you've given it a fair chance.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would also like to add that every now and then I will also post on another forum, but they don't feel like home, so I don't post often. I could easily interpret that as lack of welcome, or people being mean, but I know it isn't about the board, it is about my feelings of loyalty to CWD. And also, if it isn't a board that is about something as awful as Type 1, say it is a board about diets or about skating or something, that has a totally different atmosphere as well and can't even begin to be held in comparison. This feels like home. And seeing Marsha, and Lanae, and Nicole - it brings back all of the reasons I came here and stayed.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  18. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Is this plain broccoli, or does it it have cheese sauce? I really like butter and cheese broccoli, so we might need to compare it to peas or something yucky :p

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

20. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I love broccoli, but it's best when served with a steak, a loaded potato, a Caesar salad, and maybe some dessert.

Kinda like all the folks on CWD. A little variety makes the plate that much more appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.