- advertisement -

Really hating the pump!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Denise

Denise Approved members

I also ordered the Pumping Insulin book and I'm the odd one out but I found the book to be WAY too overwhelming. :( I haven't tried to read it in about a year so perhaps I should try again...

2. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Hi Paula

I have been quiet recently - working hard! how are you?
    I was in Orlando this summer at the American Diabetes Association, and managed to try the new Harry Potter ride - wow!

hope alls well

Best wishes,

Rachel

3. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I actually was not taught much about pumping. Everything I learned took place in an hour and that included setting up his pump and putting his first set on. I'm basically having to learn it all on my own.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

DEFINITELY order Pumping Insulin. I learned most of my pumping skills from that book. It's the Pumping Bible IMHO!

I think that the target blood sugar (250 and now 200) is set awfully high. Ours has always been around 120. That means, the pump will calculate a correction for anything that's over 120. If your son was regularly around 240, and your target was 250, then he would never get a correction and would have really high numbers a lot. Don't be afraid to lower it even down to 150 for now. That will give you a better picture of how much it takes to bring him down.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Correcting down to 150 still leaves PLENTY of room for error.

ETA: The principles of managing BG on the pump are really no different than they are on MDI. Ask yourself what you would have done on MDI in this situation and then...just do that on the pump. :)

6. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Do you already have "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner? I found it to be very helpful resource and I think they often even have it "bundled" on Amazon (not like a price break but suggested as going together . . .) with Pumping Insulin. That should make your total just right. ;)

GL! You've got some good advice here. Just wanted to encourage you not to give up. It certainly sounds like a basal issue - whether that's growth related or not. :) Oh and we liked mini dill pickles as a free food too!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats to bad that they didn't help you out more, explain how the features work and such. Having a smaller target is easier, you won't see such wide and wild differences in blood sugar readings. I know he's little and they like little ones to run higher, but I would lower his target closer to 150.. If it were me, I'd do something like 90-150/160, I'd bring up the lower target a bit, for now, it will negative correct to the 90, 90 isn't low, neither is 80, but he's little, and you don't want him playing and running around with a bg of 80, he'll go low a lot faster.

Testing basals is the first thing you want to do, once you are sure those are pretty good, then you can go on to the other stuff.. In the beginning its tough, especially when you aren't getting more help from the endo's office. If you want to post his info here, we'll be glad to help guide you in the right direction. :)