advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reacting to CGMS overtapes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ali, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Ali

Ali Approved members

I know there has been plenty of discussion on this but did not pull up the posts about it in my initial search, so being lazy and asking for help. Suggestions for dealing with itchy reaction to the overtape I am using for my Medtronic sensor. I clean the area with soap and water or alcohol apply sensor and the use several pieces of the tape which comes with the sensor. I have used opsite to secure sets when coming unstuck but I react to that tape also if on for more than a day. So any suggestions? I actually end up with raised hive like marks from the tapes.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

4. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

Hypafix is a good tape. Seems to be a lot like the stickie commonly used on infusion sets. Tegaderm is what we use as an overtape for Dex sensors.

Could your reaction be to the sensor tape/stickie? My son gets an awful reaction to the Dex tape/stickie, but is fine with infusion set stickies. So, we put a Tough Pad under the Dex sensor. Works like a charm.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Hypafix users here. A layer of Skintac under the tape helps make a barrier, too.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thank you. I actually react to the tapes used to secure my sets also, but as I swap those out every 2-3 days I can usually deal with it:). Will try the Hypafix if the Grifgrips cause a reaction. I also will try Skintac although I reacted to the barrier sticky wipes they used to suggest using before putting on my pump sites:) Sorry that was years ago, but I switched to just soap and water for the most part. I thought someone had mentioned using an allergy spray under the tapes?? I may not be remembering correctly and something called a Tough Pad??
    Thank you so much everyone. I hate going into my clinic for help as it is just so time consuming.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

For our reaction (one son) to the Dexcom tape, using flonase spray first (let it dry good) then using Johnson and Johnson Tough Pad. I order off Amazon. I follow directions on how to apply that. For Dexcom that is easy to shoot through.
    You might be able to just us Flonase?

8. sariana

sariana Approved members

We also use Flonase. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but it works!

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

It does sound a bit odd. Have been trying to figure out what was meant:). Is it just the spray you use for your nose and you just squirt it on your skin?? I wondered if I was missing something. Thanks. I have used the GrifGrips tape for a few days and no reaction so that may be a good option, thank you Christopher. Just cutting off strips to use.
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. The more options the better as for me at least, just switching stuff help helps.

Ali