- advertisement -

RE: Teenagers - when/how did you see the decrease in insulin needs after adolescence?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sprocket, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

My DD is 14 and well through puberty. Her basal requirements crept up gradually over the last 6 months to a peak, then have dropped by almost half during the last month. She got to a point where I was really concerned with her insulin resistance a few months ago. Her TDD used to be about 100 units. Now her TDD is about 60. No weight or activity changes worth noting during that time.
    For those of you who have seen their kids transition from the crazy adolescent requirements to older teens, was the change that remarkable? I am hoping we are seeing the tail end of some of those crazy fluctuations with adolescents.
    FYI she's been 3" taller than me for two years and has a fully adult shape.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd is somewhat similar. She just turned 14 a week ago. Though she is still a bit shorter than me (and she was always in a high percentile for height when younger) she seems to have stopped growing and has had her period for a couple of years now. Her levemir was up to 36u per day (or more, I don't remember all past doses) . Now she is getting 24u, so about 60% of what she was. I'm not sure of TDD but I would guess basal is about half her insulin though it may be more like 40%. I'm hoping that she has settled down for good too because the numbers are much better than they were a couple of years ago but she is still young enough there could be more growth spurts coming.

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son is almost 15 and is at his highest insulin amounts to date. He uses about 120 units per day. His endo said this may keep up until he's around 17. He also uses Metformin to help with the resistance.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'm by no means an expert but I would expect boys to continue the high doses to a later age since they tend to grow longer. On the plus side you don't have monthly roller coasters to deal with ;)

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

My recollection is that my daughter's insulin needs came way down at age 15.