- advertisement -

Re-introducing ourselves

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by StillMamamia, Mar 31, 2011.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi,
    I'm Cindy. My husband and I own an ice cream store :) with another couple (25 years this summer) and I work out of the home as well doing the books on the properties that we own. My husband has always worked out of the home as a realtor and it's been so great to be at home with the kids but with a good back-up downstairs if I needed him! Our 22 year old moved back home to re-enter college in town and our 18 yo will be off to college next fall--most likely to Maine. Our nest doesn't want to be empty just yet!

I like to read, garden, go to musicals and play chess online...my guilty pleasure! Honeymoon was spent on a bike trip to Yellowstone. Best trip ever!! I was an exchange student to Japan as a teen and really want to go back with the family. Someday! I'm currently trying to improve my Spanish. My sister-in-law is Colombian and someday they plan to retire there...so I'm getting ready!! Nice to meet you all!

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I'm Stacy. I'm a homeschooling, WOHM with a husband and 2 kids. DS is 9. He's non-D. DD is 7 and she's the reason I'm here. When she was 2, things were off and I suspected diabetes so I took her to the doctor "just to rule it out and prove to myself that she didn't have diabetes." That didn't work so well. :p She started on a pump just before her 6th birthday.

Let's see...what else can I say about myself? Married 15 years. Currently owner of 1 dog and 1 hermit crab. DS goes to the local school and DD homeschools. They've each schooled both ways and are both where they want to be for now. We approach each year with an open mind and we'll see where they are next year. At work I'm an analyst. I've always said diabetes was a good match for me because I love the numbers and analysis piece. I'm well suited to the life of a pancreas ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. joan

joan Approved members

I am Joan. I am a SAHM also RN, and once this college process is over will hopefully have noone home. I came here hoping to help others but have found lots of help myself. My son has had d almost his entire life. He is great, funnny, smart and a good athlete. I am so blessed and am going to be sad when he goes off on his own. I really can't believe he is going to go to college in Sept. He had had d >16years. It has been a long road for me and I can still relate to the feeling in almost all the posts. Be patient and listen to what others here tell you because the people here are great teachers and noone knows more about d than experienced parents.

4. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I am mom to two girls. My oldest is 15 and has ADHD. My 11 year old has D. I work full time as a nurse in public health and do some school nursing as part of that. I had worked at a school full time but then got cut back to 10 hours a week for 600+ students and three schools. I have three diabetic students which is what mostly prepared me for this new life.

My CWD is calm, smart, responsible, loves to cook, loves her kitty and chocolate lab which she mostly paid for. My other daughter is extremely outgoing and has ADHD and has a hard time with some school work but has a ton of friends and lots of fun in her life. She also loves the Latte the chocolate lab and contributed what she could afford to buy her. She sleeps with her every night and while I got the lab hoping she would pick up on D stuff, she has actually helped us all with our "issues" and helps my older daughter with the ADHD.

The kitty seems to be picking up on D stuff a bit. She sleeps with my CWD and is always there to see what is going on during the 2 am check (the few I do, thanks to my husband of 20 years.

My CWD was diagnosed December 26, 2009. She had been crabby Christmas Eve (and on many occasions the few months before dx) and we thought she was starting to PMS.

Christmas day she felt crappy. Thought she had the flu, then felt better the next am, so we went ahead with our trip to see family in Portland, knowing she could go to urgent care if needed.

On the way over she had to urinate several times along the way and I started to get scared... got to sister in laws and expressed concerns and asked if she knew anyone with a meter...she didn't...noticed her weight loss...more than I would have thought...took her to Urgent Care and then they had her do a urine dip. It showed positive glucose so they checked her on a fingerstick. It was over six hundred.

She then got admitted to a children's hospital and then put right into ICU after seeing her labs. She was a sick little girl. I of course felt awful that I didn't see the signs. I really struggled with that.

She got back into school right away after the Christmas break. I went to school with her the first day while they did training. She is now on a pump and we have a dexcom. Both have been really helpful and we are grateful.

The first year was hard emotionally. I would say I took it super, super hard. I am a nurse and while many people say "she's so lucky to have you" I feel that I am so lucky to have her. She is a trooper and had hardly ever complained about having D. She is good at management also and I am so proud of her.

My other daughter was the first one to make me laugh after diagnoses. She is such a physically strong girl and I just needed her strength and humor. She was adopted at birth by us and when I finally got pregnant with my CWD and had a girl I remember saying "they need each other" and they do.

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I am a mom to an 11 year old boy who was DX last july at the age of 10, and a 13 (going on 26) year old girl (non D), a 1 year old Australian Cattle doggie, an 8 year old mama sharpei,and two 3 year old boy cats. I am a work at home mom, I run my own e-shoppe and should be working on it now but I don't wanna.:p I'm tired. :p I am happily divorced since 1999, and no I do not want to meet your new male friend who just moved to town, thanks. (Stupid people always trying to fix me up.)
    For fun my kids and I love to play board games, especially Pictionary, and have movie nights at home. I love music and all sorts of art. My little family is trying to get a grip on all of this D stuff. I still feel a tremendous amount of guilt over his diagnoses, for not realizing what was happening to him. And I feel alot of guilt for having to at times push my daughter aside in order to tend to my son. I hope that as more time goes by, the balancing act will get a little less hectic.
    I am going to stop typing now because my snoopy teen who should be in bed is pretending to hug me so she can peak at the screen and see what I am typing.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh, what a cutie!!!

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

You have been missed Talula. What's shaking, besides your coconuts?

8. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Hi, My name is Amy. I work outside the home as a special education and English language learner paraeducator for the public schools. I only work with 3 to 5 year olds this year. I really love my job but it is very tiring. I have a 15 year old D daughter dx last year at the age of 14, a 12 year old D son dx at 11 in Jan and a 8 year old non D son who up until a year ago was our "sick" kid. :rolleyes:

Nick was sick from the moment I got pregnant with him (if you can even imagine that) I didn't know I was pg until I was 11 weeks and started having issues at 12 weeks. Partial bedrest at 27 weeks and full bedrest at 32 weeks and born right at 37 weeks :) Sickly kid, thought it was GERD, turned out it was severe protein losing enteropathy and MSPI. He ended up being tube fed and then on TPN until he was 10 months old. He had blood infections and at 8 months we almost lost him to sepsis. At 18 months old, we found out that he had a genetic primary immune disorder called CVID and would require monthly IVIG treatments for the rest of his life. After several years of those things are much better.. he is now a healthy thriving 8 year old. He is so smart and athletic. He still gets sick because you can't get all the protection you need from the IVIG but it is light years better than what we were dealing with.

I have been married coming up on 13 years, we have been together for over 17 years. We love to travel. We drag the kids just about everywhere! We are blessed with three kids that don't mind sitting in a van for up to 20 hours a day and we can get pretty far. This summer we are going to go to Washington DC for a week. We just to a quick trip to Minneapolis last week. Over Fall break, we took them to Colorado Springs. We usually head up to South Dakota in the Summer or out to Ohio or where ever else looks interesting or might have a good roller coaster to tackle or awesome museums to look at. My kids are all history and science buffs. My husband is big into pinball machines. Las Vegas has a pinball museum.. been there 3 times (minus kids of course :) )

That is us in a nutshell.

9. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

New to this site.

Hello I'm a stay at home mother of 3 very very busy little boys..8,7,and 2..They are the joys of my life..My oldest was dx 3 years agao..I kept think that something was wrong but could not put my finger on it..I defently did not think that it was Diabetes.. We do really well for the most part, but I'm sure just like every body else we have our bumpy days. Sometimes life is a roller coaster, really with Blake's sugar. Blake does better sometimes with it then I do..He says that god gave him diabetes for a reason, to help other little ones..That is very sweet and tugs at my heart..My middle son Curtis has a hard time sometimes I think with the attention..We try very hard to show equal attention, but there are days when Blake does get more because of his diabetes..Now peanut is still to little he just goes with the flow.I do all of the diabetes care.My husband says that he is to scared of messing up..Blake would rather me do it anyways, because he see the fear in his dad..It's ok because to be honest I much rather do it..Thank you I'm new to this site, I look forward to talking with people, and learning as much as I can..Sometimes I feel like I still don't know enough..mommabear

10. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Hi,
    I'm Andi. I have a 5 year old non D daughter Sammy and an almost 3 year old D son William. William was diagnosed at 13 months in July 2009. I have been lurking on the boards since he was diagnosed and recently started posting. I work full time as a vet tech, and also have 4 cats, 2 dogs, and a frog.

11. txmom

txmom Approved members

Hi,

I'm Gwen. I have two children, daughter is a freshman in college (doing great, loving every minute of the college experience) and a 16 year old son who is a sophmore in high school. Son plays on the varsity ice hockey and golf teams. Son was diagnosed 1/1/10 with D, big surprise, as it doesn't run in the family and we had no clue about the symptoms etc. He is doing really well although we went through some ups and down figuring out how to manage when he plays sports. Getting ready to move to a pump and CGMS.

I have been married for 24 years (just did some finger counting...). My husband is a systems engineer, he works from home and loves not having to deal with the corporate environment. I work for a small software company as a delivery manager. I travel with my job but have the flexibility to plan my trips around my sons schedule. I work for a great company!!! My boss is trying to pay for my son to go to Camp Sweeney this summer, unfortunately my son wants to go to golf camp instead.

I am Canadian but have been in the states for 20 years now - it did take some time to get used to the Texas summers.

I am really glad to have found this board, I didn't know how much I didn't know until I started reading here. I am focused on getting my son prepared to totally manage D by himself so he is equiped to leave for college. I have also learned that people have children in their 20's for a reason, as I approach the 50 mark the getting up the in middle of the night is not so easy...

12. Traci

Traci Approved members

I think I skipped an introduction when I came here 8 yrs ago, so here's what there is to know about me:

Happily married mom to dsd 21 (now off on her own in college, but lived with us for all the "fun" years ;)), wonderful 11 yr old boy-girl-girl triplets, and our pleasant little surprise ds 10 who was dx'd at 23 months old. I was an accountant in my former life, but now just count kids...and carbs.

I volunteer at school all the time, but in my "spare time" I love to scrapbook. I started keeping a calendar type journal when my triplets were born and have been unable to stop, so I have all four of my kids lives fully documented with dates and pictures in their scrapbooks. If any of them ever become famous...or, as is more likely, INFAMOUS...I'm ready for a book deal.;)

13. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

You must be somehow related to my husband's family. LOL. Not so much on the sarcasm but, man, took me a while to get used to their "tone". They always sound mad. And they're forever arguing! And I come from a family where we'd rather shut up than argue. I'm hoping the kids will all take after their dad! :p

14. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am Desiree I am her because of my DD who is now 14 diagnosed at age 13. Our little family is very close and we spend a lot if time together and add on many of her friends every so often. I am a librarian for the last 3 years and taught kindergarten for 14 years before that. My first exposure to d was my first year teaching when I noticed a boy in my class living at the fountain and bathroom. I contacted his mom and 24 hours later I never saw him again they moved to be closer to family her had type 1. My daughter's first exposure to d was in kindergarten when a classmate had it and she adored the little girl as a friend and would have loved to spend all her time with her. The girls mom would not let her play at other peoples houses though. Which I get!

We have 2 peekapoo dogs one is being trained to be a service dog but he is still needing more training.