- advertisement -

Re-introducing ourselves

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by StillMamamia, Mar 31, 2011.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

As a tangent follow-up to the open letter thread, I thought why not give a chance for us to "know" a bit more of one another.

Here's my bit:

I am a SAHM with way too much time on my hands, hence the ridiculous amount of posts. My life literally revolves around my house and my family. I live in a small country where people know someone you know and know what you do without even meeting you. It's annoying, since I don't like people butting into my life, since I don't do that to others.

Anyway, I have 2 boys, 5 & 7 and let's just say there are days I am truly relieved when they go to bed.:eek: I became a mom at 33, and I think that may have been a bit too late for me since my energy levels since to dwindle everyday. Don't get me wrong, I love love love my kids, but I don't know what batteries they run on. I just know mine don't recharge as fast.:eek:

My oldest was dx back in October 2006 and I still feel extreme sadness at not seeing he was so unwell.:( It's dumb, I know, but I still feel that pang on guilt. He is doing well, is a happy kid with a brilliant mind, and his ambition is to do what I do - cooking, cleaning, ironing.:rolleyes: My youngest wants to be a teacher now, but will become a farmer or a firefighter if teaching doesn't work out.

I have recently enrolled on a distance course in home decorating and design, which is very exciting for me, but I am nervous since I am not "artsy" at all. I also have a difficult time concentrating on one thing at a time and can come across as very airheaded.

I love to laugh and love to make people laugh. I also like to help people, not just here on the forums, but also in real life.

I also have 2 elderly dogs, who are the sweetest pets ever.

Have a nice day.

2. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

Good Morning!

I am a working mom of two boys--however, Sean was just born one week ago today and I am so looking forward to being home the next few months.
    I am a nurse and work as a clinical research coordinator in a multi-specialty physician practice and can truly say I enjoy my work. It also allows me a lot of
    flexibility to take care of my family.
    I enjoy the simple things in life--cooking, gardening, looking at art, sewing (I have these Martha Stewart like delusions and then half way through a project think to myself "What were you thinking???". I also love shopping for me, the boys and the house, although, this has been curbed tremendously. Thank heaven for on-line browsing. My greatest joy in life has been being a wife and a mom. I also found my husband and had my children later in life and they are gifts I never thought I would receive. I count my blessings every day.

Jack was diagnosed July 2006 just after turning 2 y. I can so vividly remember being paralyzed with fear and every waking moment was just waiting for the next fingerstick, the next injection and what would that number be. It took a good month before I felt like I could breathe again. Jack adjusted so well (as it seems all our children do) and it is from him that
    I gained my strength and perspective. I am very fortunate to have a fantastic support group but I am always hesitant to leave him. When I was leaving for the hospital last week, I was more emotional at leaving Jack and worrying about him then I was about giving birth.
    He is starting kindergarten in September and I am already having anxiety. And it is not just the diabetes, it is the fact that my baby is growing up.

I rarely post as I have found that at any given time, there is someone on here going through the same thing so I just read the advice given to them. The knowledge, insight and comedic relief I have found here have been a sanity saver for me.

Well, Jack needs a fingerstick and Sean needs a bottle so let my day begin.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Im Fran

I work about three days a week as RN. I work in a dept of hospital where I sedate patients for procedures. I love my job. Diabetes has made me a better nurse. We get a lot of repeat chronically ill patients.nothing like knowing what they feel.

Mother of two girls.oldest in college.first year at community college.and the youngest, the one with D freshman in HS.

I didn't catch the dx either. So don't beat yourself up paula.

Im trying to motivate myself to exercise and learn how to use my digital camera. Hobbies include vacumm in g and laundry

4. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I'm a software developer who works from home in a small town near Ottawa, Canada. I have two boys, 13 and 11. The youngest is diabetic. My wife is a school teacher but has been unable to get full time work after being a SAHM to raise the kids (too many teachers in our area).

We lived in New Hampshire for 10 years where both the boys were born (they're dual citizens) and I still work for the same company, so I go back once or twice a year. I really miss living there, it's a beatiful area.

My wife and I share diabetic duties. She's more of the food expert and I'm the equipment guy. We go through periods where one of us does more (giving the other person a bit of a break), but overall we share the duties.

I wanted to be an artist when I was young but my dad talked me out of it as a career choice. I play the violin, hockey and I like to ski. My wife and I love to go on canoe trips, but don't get out often enough anymore.

The best birthday present I ever got was flying aerobatics in a World War II era aircraft.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and had it removed in December. It kept me off work for a month and 3 months of recovery but I now feel better than I have in years. I always thought that it was just diabetes wearing me down, but now I think that the cancer had a lot to do with it as well.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, fun idea!

I'm a SAHM, homeschooling, working mom, how's that for confusing! I consider homeschooling to be my primary job and passion, have been doing it for 9 years. Not anti-schooling, just pro-family and homeschooling fits our lifestyle and our family needs. We're in this for the long haul and I'm a curriculum junkie.

My kids are 13 (girl) and 16 (boy) and we're a country living, rodeo-loving family with cows and chickens and horses and sometimes goats and always some dogs (3 right now). My kids have participated in rodeos off and on over the years, my son ropes and my daughter does speed (barrels, that sort of thing). We're in an off year now, but hoping to get back in soon.

My spirituality is a big part of who I am.

I am an Occupational Therapist by profession, have mostly worked home health to make some extra money in recent years but have most recently gone back to working in rehabilitation, my specialty pre-kids used to be spinal cord injury but I now work weekends to pay for insulin supplies. I love what I do and feel blessed to have the opportunity to flex my schedule but I hate working weekends with a white hot passion. But, what do you do? I think that one of the littlest known secrets about diabetes is how wicked expensive it is to do it all right.

Work is both a blessing and a curse wrt diabetes; I do feel like I've become a better therapist with my inner knowledge of living with a chronic disease but it's hard to separate work and home a lot of times because of what I see at work. Many of my patients are long time Type 2's with horrible complications, so it's hard.

We own a construction company and always have equipment all over the place and people in and out.

My son was diagnosed a year ago February at the age of 15 and I still feel like it's surreal and not permanent in a lot of ways. He, however, is amazing. Truly an amazing kid, turning into a more amazing man. We tussle like every parent and teen but I also can't imagine being more proud of him than I have been lately. He plays football and lifts weights and wants to be a chemical engineer.

I love to read and spend time outdoors, working in the garden, digging in the dirt, spending time with friends and family on our patio. I also love wine. Probably too much!

That's me. I think.

6. Talula does the Hula

Talula does the Hula Approved members

I'm Talula. I don't have diabetes. I just have the misfortune of having a silly name so I come and shake my coconuts every once in a while and lighten up the mood.

Shake those coconuts. Shake em.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Hi nice to meet everyone "again":D I'm Chris I'm married to Ken we have 4 girls Ashleigh 12, Madisyn 10, Emely 8, and Catie 17 months. We live in a small town in Ohio. It's pretty quiet place to live very little traffic. The only people who drive on our road are the people who live on it. we dont' even have a traffic light in the town! Ken and I got married 9 months after graduating high school. I was 19 and he was 20. Ashleigh was born a month before we celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. We live close to most of our family. My parents are a 10 min car drive away, which is good because my girls love their Grandma and Pappy. They talk to them every day.

Ashleigh is my "trouble maker" kid. LOL! just kidding. She just causes the most worry. When she was 11wks old she stopped breathing while i was breastfeeding her. She spent 2 days in the PICU and a day on a regular floor. Ran some testing, and found out she has/had GERD. She stopped breathing because she aspirated my milk into her lungs. She was on reglan and propulsid until she was a year, and spent 4 months on an apnea monitor She still suffers from GERD and right now takes nexium every day.

A month after turning 11 I took her to our family doctor. Because thanks to google I was 99.9% positive she had type 1 diabetes. They checked her BS and it was 410 4 hours after eating breakfast. She started off on lantus and novolog, did those for 8 1/2 months. And now is on the ping, which she loves.

Madisyn caused us a little scare in the beginning too. She spent a week in in the NICU after birth, because she kept turning blue. Turns out she had GERD too! she had to spend 6 months on an apnea monitor plus take reglan and zantac. when madisyn was 6 she was diagnosed with high functioning autism.

Emely was also a "blue baby" and had GERD too.

Catie's my first baby with no reflux problems. Yes!!

Well that's me and my family :)

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im Becky married for 22 years:eek: Stay at home Mom to 2 boys Harry will be 13 soon and acts like a typical preteen (cool, speaks in mumble language, 1 word replys) Hes real smart and funny and very sweet:cwds: Steven is my CWD, he just turned 10 in March and was diagnosed when he was 3 years 4 months old. I was scared shirtless when he was diagnosed. I thought it might be diabetes but hoped it was something else, kidney infection, some kind of virus, something that would go away and let me have my "normal" boring PTO life back. It wasnt, it was diabetes. Ive learned so much from Steven in the years since he was diagnosed. It really has changed me in so many ways, some good some not so good. Steven is a ball of energy. He is always thinking of something new or different that he wants to try and do or make. Usually something to do with fireworks or explosives;) He also loves playing basketball, making origami creations, duct tape is a real passion for him and he makes some really neat things such as duct tape flowers for me and wallets and many other things. He's also very smart and absolutely hysterical! and very kind and loving:cwds:

Me, I love birds and everything to do with them. And wildflowers (have identified over 30 of them within a one mile radius of my home, so far) and music. I prefer to be outside working in the garden or just listening to the birds and smelling the earth smells. And love, love, love book sales and antiquing and flea markets! oh, and Salvation army and Goodwill(Im as cheap as they come;) )

Always extremely grateful for CWD and all that Jeff and Brenda do for it and to all the people who take time to post and help one another:cwds:

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm a SHAM for the most part, but I do work as a cake decorator part time (as well as doing other jobs in the bakery). I have a degree in early childhood developement, but once my children were born I decided my children were enough and I couldn't do childcare/teaching anymore . :D I'd love to become a nurse and CDE but not sure if I have the time and money to actually do it.

I have two children who are 11 months apart. Our youngest, K, was diagnosed 1 month before her 3rd birthday. She was diagnosed with celiac 2 years after that. My oldest has her own set of medical issues. My husband just spent two years unemployed and has FINALLY gone back to work (lets hope it lasts!).

We live in a very small town in NH, I've never lived in any other state. I would, however love to move to the Maine coast and have a seasonal business of some sort. My husband I were in first grade together. High school sweethearts, of some sort (its a long story, lol). We live one town over from where we grew up.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm Nancy

I have 3 kids - Samantha is 14, Michael is almost 11, and Emma is 6.
    I've lived in Virginia my entire life - first downstate and now in NoVa. Hubby is a native of PA.

Emma was diagnosed with Type 1 at 25 months and at Celiac right before she turned 5

I homeschool Michael and Emma, although Michael is going to Middle School next year. Samantha is going into High School next year

I am actively involved with the local JDRF Chapter and with the JDRF GR office
    I am extremely involved with our local Little League (hubby is the President and I'm the Player Agent). From January through about now, my hours are CRAZY BUSY with Little League, but it starts to slow down now and I just get to ENJOY being at the baseball field.

Samantha and Emma both love to dance.
    Michael is a baseball player through and through
    Emma is trying tball out this season after a season of soccer - we'll see what she ends up enjoying.

I worked for 12 years until my oldest started school - I'm trying to figure out how I got everything done when I worked because I'm crazy busy now and I don't have a paid job.

We love Disney. Yeah, a lot. Putting the kids back in school is cramping our style, but we managed a couple of days in November and a few last month, and we might throw in a day in two weeks when we drive back down to FL for the shuttle launch.

After Disney, we love baseball - a lot. Michael plays on 2 teams and we love being at the baseball field 6 days a week. Don't know what we'll do if he decides he's done with baseball!

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I am Michelle. Resident sarcasm queen, or so I've been accused. I come from a family where our prime entertainment is to argue with each other. In some families food = love. In mine, a good argument = love. so if you find yourself on the end of a verbal spar with me, don't take it personally, I just love a lively debate/discussion/argument and it means that I like you well enough to go at it. I love challenging people to stand up for their opinions. Their yours. Stand up for them. ;) I hate when people wimp out on what they feel and believe.

I am an army wife, diabetes mom to a 10 1/2 year old son dx back in 2005, and a chauffeur to a 17 year old who refuses to get her license and at the very current moment can't make up her mind on where she wants to go to college. I like (in no particular order) beer, macaroni and cheese, the beach, facebook, Stephen King, Jimmy Buffett, Survivor, Grey's Anatomy, Dexter, going to church, Jon Stewart and CNN.

Then end. :)

12. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I'm Lori...a part time stay at home mom. I'm a RN and work long hours on the weekends only!! I must say though, it gives me a break and has forced my husband to learn diabetes (for the most part). I am, however, the ONLY one that's sleep deprived and gets up to do all night time checks :( My hubby and I have been married almost 9 years. He is a great husband, finally after all these years of training!! He's a home builder and built us a nice home out in the country. Yes, I do hear cows mooing and donkeys yelping(whatever that crazy sound is they make...ok maybe hee hawing). I love the feel out here. Everyone is so nice. I like to garden, although I'm not good at it, but I try. Also love decorating cakes!! I spend way too much time cleaning, although my house is always a mess!!
    I have 3 wonderful children. My non-ds, Madison, 8 and Gavin, 10 months. Ashlee is my diabetic daughter. She is 5, diagnosed at 3. She is a tough girl!! She plays soccer, and is a superstar player! She's also very bright, and diabetes does not get in her way! She had the usual symptoms at diagnosis...peeing her bed, always thirsty, dry skin, and in hindsight noticed how much thinner she was! I noticed that weird breath, to me smelled like vinegar. We were at a play park in the mall and she wasn't feeling sick. But the more I sat there and thought about it, diabetes kept popping in my head! Had already scheduled an appt with the pedi the next day, but couldnt wait! Had her pee in a cup I got from the food court and told my hubby to pick up some diastix (i think that's what it's called). Met him out in the parking lot, urine glucose and ketones were at the highest level on the stick. That's where our diabetes journey began :(

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm Wendy, mom to identical twins Abby and Maddy 9 years old, soon to be 10. Abby was diagnosed 1 month after her 4th b'day. Maddy carries several of the markers for d, but we like to say she has a 25% chance of not getting it.

I went to Fisher College(Boston) and the Univ. of New Haven (as people up here say, the other UNH) and have a degree in tourism. Worked a few years for the Mouse in Orlando. I was formerly a corporate travel agent, but the internet killed that:eek: So, the day I found out I was having twins was the day I became a SAHM(not by choice, I got laid off). I'm still trying to decide what to do when I grow up.

We are huge UCONN and Red Sox fans (well except hubby he's a Mets fan).

We live in NH, but I am a "beach bum" at heart. Love the ocean, any one will do for me. I grew up in CT, I miss it, but love where we are now because we can go to so many different places in such a quick drive. Heck, I can be in Canada in 4 hours!

I am a supporter of JDRF, ADA and Joslin.

I joined CWD 5 years ago, and it has been a continuous fountain of information for me. Thanks to all for there input in support!

14. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Hi! I'm Paula and I've been a SAHM for the past 16 years, but am starting a new new job as a marketing/public relations manager for an interior design firm next week. I have 3 kids: Evan, 15, nonD; Spencer, 13, dx'd in Jan; and Kendall, 10 who was dx'd in 2007. We also have Ruby, a labradoodle, and Phyllis, a hedgehog.

I've been married to Jim for almost 18 years, and he owns a plumbing contracting company here in Chicago. I'm originally from Michigan and went to Michigan State (Go Spartans!) but moved to Chicago after college with a friend.

I love to read, scrapbook, hang out with friends, play the piano and sleep! (which isn't often...)

So nice to "meet" everyone!!!!:)

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi, I'm Emma.

I'm 18 and I live at home right now, and in my last year of high school. I live in the UK, at the moment in Essex, and hopefully next year I'll be moving to Cambridge and studying Philosophy at university. I love the subject, and I'm really excited to be leaving home, as well as being pretty apprehensive. :cwds:

In real life, I'm a little shy and very opinionated. (Yep, an unfortunate pairing? It means that relatively few people have to deal with all my opinions. :p) I'm a terrible liar, and I really struggle to act like I agree with whatever other people are saying. I love logic, math and puzzles.

I was diagnosed with T1D when I was 14, so I'm coming up on 4 years now. It was a really tough age for me to be diagnosed (not that any age is easy), partly because of my family circumstances at the time and partly because it was such a turning point for everyone: that age over here is when people start drinking and having parties and generally changing lifestyle in a pretty big way, and I felt so overwhelmed. I also have several other long term conditions including OCD which has made D management.. complicated, to say the least. After one year of diabetes I started on the insulin pump. It's great, even if it sucks to be tethered sometimes.

I hope I will never let diabetes stop me.

16. vinedyta

vinedyta Approved members

Hello out there! I am Edy I have 2 rambunctious kids at home Vincenzo 4 and Edyta 3. My husband has a 22 yr old daughter that gave us a grandson Tyler almost exactly 9 months after his Aunt Edyta was born. I am married to Bob. We have been together for 8 years now and married for 3 yrs. We live in Ohio near Cleveland.

Vincenzo was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago tomorrow. i knew because my niece Ashleigh was diagnosed a year ago and remembered her symptoms Cenzo was peeing constantly and could never quench his thirst. I made an appt with the Dr. and yep he had as my 3 yr old says "the diabetes"

I went to the hospital with a link to this forum in my inbox my sister in law Chris (mom24grlz) who has been my best friend since high school sent me a link.

Chris does what she is told in high school I told her she should marry my brother so we would be sisters. And she did what she was told =) ok that's my version hers and Ken's is a bit different. But I like mine best.

I love birds plants cows, and Americana. I can do every craft under the sun. but I am very good at crocheting. I love to read. And I love too cook.

I am currently a SAHM also. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either.

Thank you for reading and remember life is a roller coaster you go high you go low at times you scream or get dizzy sometimes there is someone next to you and sometimes you ride solo and sometimes you puke from fright or excitement:eek:

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

What's it like having a hedgehog for a pet? They are the cutest little things, but I can't imagine how they are as a pet.

18. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

I'm Kim. I'm a working mom, as a nurse recruiter at a hospital in the DC area, though my background is HR, not nursing. We live in Northern Virginia, and "we" amount to myself, my husband Nathan (who lurks around here as HanksDad, but never posts), Hank, our dog, and Baby Girl to-be (due early August). We're originally from the midwest, and while 600 miles away from our family, have a great community of friends in the area and even one couple who are willing to take on D care.

Our VERY active toddler, Hank, will be 2 in July, and was diagnosed in DKA in mid-October, on my birthday. While I have an older brother with Type I (diagnosed when I was in middle school), and had a gut instinct about Hank's symptoms, it really wasn't until it smacked me in the face that awful day when it all clicked. We were going to ask our pediatrician about Hank's symptoms at his 15-month appointment the very next week. I beat myself up nearly daily about that, and wish we could have saved Hank from his time in the PICU.

We are in the process of getting Hank on a pump (likely the Ping) - are jumping through all the hoops with our endo and diabetes center, and hope to do our saline trial within the month, and be pumping away long before Baby Girl arrives.

Great thread! :D

19. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

She is really very sweet. Much better than the hampsters we've had over the years. Her cage is a large plastic storage bin for easy cleaning. She has a plastic wheel, which she uses all the time and she doens't bite.

HOWEVER....she poops alot and the cage stinks if it's not cleaned, so guess who cleans it???? of course, me. It's Kendall's, and she sort of helps...:confused:

We take her outside in the summer and she wanders around. We had to buy a space heater for Kendall's room because we like the house cool, and she can't get cold or she'll go into hibernation.... The only person she's ever bit was my husband (who calls her a spiked rat!) and that was becuase he had good on his finger... I honestly don't mind her and think she's pretty cute.

and ps. the dog is afraid of her!

View attachment 2534

20. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

We love Talula. :)