- advertisement -

Rating threads

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwiliz, Oct 19, 2010.

1. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I am not altogether sure how this works but if it seems that a thread is being rated poorly because someone does not agree with the inital poster this would be a form of bullying. I would prefer that we only had an option for rating a post as excellent with a five star rating to avoid this problem. It is a pity that something that could be used to draw attention to a thread that is of great importance to many people could be childishly misused. If this is not possible then anyone noticing a poor thread rating could just pop into the thread and add an excellent to balance things out.

As someone in a different thread stated we are all parents and people dealing with a very difficult and trying medical condition and should not have the extra burden of people passing judgment or publicly ridiculing or even just being plain mean.

2. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I don't even pay attention to "ratings".

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I don't think I had even seen a poor rating - ever - until today! I would never have even thought about giving someone a poor rating. I could be quite hurtful if you were in a vulnerable moment.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I am really not sure.

I am laughing myself silly here - I just noticed my thread was rated - and I have to assure you all - not by me! LOL! (But if any of you lower it I will be in like Flynn and even it out again!) :D

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

OK - Now who did that! Down from 5 stars to 2!!!:D

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Rating threads should be on the information that is involved..threads get 5 stars when the information and or topic is a good/great one. The majority of people don't pay attention to the ratings anyway.. everyone can decide for themselves if the topic is worth reading..

But, I don't get how rating a topic is 'bullying'.

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

I am not sure when the rating system came..as I only lurk from time to time now. I wonder why it is here as the old "rating system" that was here when I started was done away with. You could give a specific person a rating of sorts..can't remember exactly how...probably b/c I've lost tons of sleep since then and my brain cells seemed to have gone away w/ that lack of sleep! :p

8. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

It is an anonymous way for someone to say someone else's post is rubbish. The only rating you mentioned was 5 star - and really - that is the only one that should be used. Ignore anything you don't like.

Denise - I can understand why a personal rating could cause trouble;) Good thing that option was removed.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

But - it wasn't a good thing. and it was removed for the same reason you are suggesting, that it was used for bullying because you didn't like a poster. However, most people rate threads based on how accurate or inaccurate information is, how off base they are, how helpful they are, etc.

I miss Reputation. I miss it alot! People could give rep based on if they liked a persons post. And it showed who the people who truly helped people versus those that responded to everything with hugs or with negativism.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Uhhmmm......you really think someone would feel bullied or damaged by a star rating? You are kidding, right?

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you vastly underestimate the sensitivity of the general public. ;)

ETA: Kisses! Hugs! Luv ya!

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

If, say, something tragic had just happened, or you were over tired, or your childs numbers were fluctuating wildly and you felt out of control.... - just guessing here - you're a lumberjack type of guy! Not in touch with your "inner woman".

Seriously - if you are feeling vulnerable - yes - I do think you could. Why would you put a poor rating on someone elses work? You wouldn't even think of it! So why would someone?

No - it doesn't bother me if someone puts a single star stating the thread isn't useful/helpful/or is rubbish - but then again - I am not feeling vulnerable.

13. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

That is possible, but would just be the "raters" opinion. Who are we to judge?

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

I guess I don't see what the big deal is - this rating system has been here AND IN USE since the dawn of CWD, there have been many threads where a person/persons rate the thread down.

I am also of the opinion that people that rate it down appreciate the anonymity of being able to voice their opinion, without thinking of it as the newest buzzword 'bullying'; rather a way to get THEIR opinion (and one they are welcome to - across). I also assume that people that rate the thread do it instead of posting.

My threads get rated down and honestly, I don't get my panties in a bunch, maybe a little wedgie every now and again, but no full flown bunch here.

15. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Several things have been brought up:

It is the THREAD that is being rated, although certainly someone may rate the thread based on a response (hover your cursor over the stars and you will see "thread rating.")

One of the reasons many are unaware of the rating option is that relatively few threads are rated.

The OP stated that she had never seen a 1-star rating before today. I assure you, today is not nearly the first time a thread has been rated 1-star. But, is more attention being paid now that the ratings were discussed in an earlier thread?

I'm pretty sure that you can only vote once on any individual thread. Whether I know this from attempting to drive a rating upward, downward, or static, who's to say? Who's to say I wasn't experimenting with my own thread?

When responding to a thread, you can also use the "Additional Options" box to rate the thread, not just the tool at the top of the thread.

Finally, put me down on the Pro-Reputation list. I found Rep useful. I miss it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  16. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

In that case there is nothing better against it than ignoring the poster and the thread.
    I think if the "old timers" want this forum back to how it was before if they think it was better, is really up to them to teach the newcomers how things work, without bullying, pushing or being rude (I'm not saying this is the case) and the new ones need to have some patience and more open to cooperate with the current members if they want to be help. We all deserve respect the senior members and the new ones as well. Just my newbie opinion ;)

17. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

The last thing we need now is a popularity contest. You like what someone has to say, PM them. "WHO" gets to decide these things? do "they" who are "they"? I have seen rep so misused on other forums. Im glad its not here.

of cource they will. remember the smilie face thread? :rolleyes:

I dont think its a case of the old timers wanting the forum the way it used to, just dis-satisfied with how its going, both new and oldbies. This place used to feel like a family atmosphere. Now, I couldnt even call this place a close friends atmosphere.

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

Rating threads is ubiquitous on internet forums and also in comment sections. It rates the thread, as a whole, and not, necessarily, the OP.

The real problem with it is it completely useless because there's no way to know who rated it and, so, how valuable the rating is.

Someone could post a "The world is flat." thread and all the round Earthers would drive the rating downward. Someone posts "The world is round." and the same happens ... both have crappy ratings and neither is helpful. The only thing it represents is, generally, how people feel about the overall content of the thread IF they bother to rate it.

By the way I had to rate the overall thread a 1 star because I think the bullying claim is merit-less.

19. Ali

Ali Approved members

Ahh...I am a dunce, I post a bit, I am an adult. I have no idea what stars mean, I thought it just reflected how many people had viewed the thread.:cwds: I just read, respond or ignore. I read here because parents are so incredible in working for their kids. You all are always at the forefront of innovation, always the first to know about new technologies, new medicines,the first to explore new ways or to revisit old ways to work with being a T1. I grew up with no help on being a T1. When as an adult I was able to start reading and visiting sites like this it was a Godsend. All the collective knowledge of passionate folks with all sorts of issues opened a world of information for me. It can get get snarky but often it all frankly seems to be a misreading of the meaning of the posts. I see this often in face to face discussions in groups so no surprise it happens on the internet.:pAli

20. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I appreciate your honesty and see your point of view has merit. As usual it is not the instrument that is a problem but how you use it and I would hate to think that people, new or old, are feeling that their thread is not appreciated because someone has anonymously given it a poor rating. I bet you never even considered giving a one star rating to a thread before this discussion whereas others have.