- advertisement -

Rash?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Jan 4, 2010.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Have not been on forum in a while. Its so nice to know a place i can go to find out info. first hand from people who know what i am going through!!

Two questions:
    [A] My son has a rash and i dont know if its diabetes related or not just wondering if there is a rash that is associated with diabetes? [/B] He has large dry blotches on the insides of his legs which with cream went away but you can still see where they were. This morning he has a rash on the outside of his leg kinda raised and red/inflamed. I am worried a little because Aarons sugars are so bouncy with highs.
    (B) I am thinking about making some changes in his pump with basils but i have never done so without direction of his Dr. or nurse when did you feel comfortable making this call for your child? He has been on the pump a year now.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would have the rash checked out - but it may be Eczema...

I would try making changes now - you can call your endo if it makes you more comfortable, and should call your endo if you aren't sure what to change. But if you have a good idea of what to change - go for it! And test a little bit more frequently to make sure no bad lows happen.

We usually try and only change one thing at a time...so we try and get a certain time of day in range before tackling the next. We start with overnights, then AM, then lunch, then evenings...

3. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Thanks for replying. I was wondering if it may be eczema but also if there was a rash associated with having diabetes. I think with Celiac comes a rash but not sure. I think i will try and make some changes to his basil sometime maybe the weekend when i am home with him.
    I love your saying :a disease you can treat but never control. I need to remember that next time i start to "flip out over a number."

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Can you describe it? I would take him to the Ped.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Rsah I would take to the ped if it is that concerning.

Doing things on your own, I would look at the situation and make a desicon on what you want to change and the reasons why, then call the endo and let them know what change and why and see what they say.

Each person has there own comfort level whith changing insulin, you can always con here and post a days numbers and basal setting and others can make recomendations and reasons for the particular change. It takes a village.

6. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

we have red raised patches of skin here and it's eczema on our nonD kid. We used Aquafor on all skin after every bath/shower. For the stubborn spots we have a script of Mymyx. It really flares up in the winter!!

I'd treat it with cream and mention it at the next Dr. appt.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Food allergies can also cause those rashes. You may want to have him tested.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

If you are wondering if it is related to D, the answer is no.
    Many things can cause rashes and I'd take him to the ped to find out what it is.