- advertisement -

Random pump not primed message!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Apr 21, 2013.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

Ok so the past few days my son has been getting a "no delivery pump not primed" message randomly... Usually right around bedtime. I did some googling and found out usually its due to the cartridge cap needing to be tightened. So I did that and last night- no alarm! Well tonight we got it again, so I called animas and they told me replace the cartridge from a new box. I did that, and 20 minutes later it alarms again. Called them back and they decided to replace the pump. It will be here TUESDAY. Thry said use alternate method for insulin delivery. Now we have a problem. It's 11pm on a Sunday night, we have NO lantus, I have all 3 kids asleep and I don't remember how to calculate doses for lantus or novolog!!!! I've hooked my son back up and got him laying in bed with me tonight so u can hear if it alarms again. I've emailed his CDE so ill get a call back in the morning, but do you think it's ok to just continue using his pump until the new one gets here as long as I prime it whenever I get that message?!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't use a ping so I will let someone else answer those questions.

However, if you do need to inject novolog you can just enter the BG and carbs into the pump and use it to calculate the dose and then inject that dose with a syringe. I would run it through the pump (with it detached from your child) so the pump can keep track of active insulin. If you can't use the pump and don't have lantus I would be testing and correcting every 3 hours (I would test ketones if you go more then 3 hours without correcting for any reason).

Hopefully someone with a younger child will chime in soon though! Sorry you are having problems.

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

This seems to be a problem with the Pings (at least, from anecdotal evidence). It seems like putting it in suspend or if it gets a good knock...it needs to be primed.

I don't think there's any harm in keeping it attached for the night they way you've suggested, since you don't have lantus. Hopefully the replacement will work with no problems!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Tightening the cap never did much for us, but replacing it did. They recommend changing the cap every 6 months, not sure everyone does this regularly, I know we do not. I keep a spare cap on hand at all times now though.

It's morning now so I hope you guys were able to sleep, I think your solution was a good one, and really all you could do. We also keep lantus on hand just for situations like this, at each appointment our CDE prints out a form that includes lantus dose in case of pump failure, that would be something to ask. I've also gone into his pump to review basal settings and figured it out myself in a pinch. For us pump basal does NOT equal lantus basal but it gives us a starting point.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

We often get the same message, especially in the winter. If the pump has a temperature change if will lose it's prime. I also find that if my son takes his pump off it will lose occasionally lose it's prime. It is more of an annoyance issue for him as he doesn't receive basal from his pump.

6. dianas

dianas Approved members

My pump was recently replaced for the same issue. Sometimes it's a cartridge cap, or cartridge but apparently can also be a sensor in the pump that detects the cartridge. I was not told I could not use it while waiting for a replacement pump though. My issues were intermittent though, would happen several times then stop for a month then started up again recently. It would make sense to be cautious though if a sensor that affected the cartridge is failing and not use the pump when you think about it though.

I ask for a sample insulin pen of Lantus or Levemir from my endo to keep on hand in the fridge for a back up but I almost always find it easier to inject round the clock even if it's 2 days. With a young one..., you might still be able to get a sample of Lantus or Levemir from your endo or PCP to help with today since the pump won't be here till Tuesday.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I got that message once, I just reprimed it and it was fine. We've only been using the pump for a little over a month though so it could very well happen again. I'm curious as to why you don't have any lantus though? We have a few vials for backup and I don't think I'd feel comfortable not having a backup