- advertisement -

Random post about nighttime low and how quickly it can come up.

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Woke up at a lil before 12:00am sweating.

Tested at 12:00am on the dot, was 31.

Drank about 1/2 to 2/3 of a can of soda that was already open in the fridge (so about 30g of carbs or less).

By 12:12am was 98.

By 12:20am was 126.

Figuring that was raising pretty strongly and pretty quick, I then set a temp basal for 140% for an hour and went to bed.

Woke up (at about 6:00am) with 118 bg. Pretty good all things considered (cept for the initial low that shouldnta happened)... just not used to seeing such a rapid rise with so few carbs for such a drastic low. Coulda bin rebounding I suppose, but even so it happened in a flash.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In your 30 years with D this sort of thing hasn't happened before? Can't tell if you think this is a pump thing, or what....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  3. GChick

GChick Approved members

Hmmm. Sorry for the confusion. I was just rambling for ramblings sake. It's not a matter if something has ever happened before, it's sometimes just a matter of when something happens that you wern't expecting.

No, I do not believe the rapid rise to be a "pump thing", Though I suppose what I am commenting on is it being a good thing that I could set a temp basal afterwards as giving a full unit (my only other option before) would probably have not been the smartest move if I were still on shots at a bg of 126.

Also, due to having the pump, I am just more prone to testing on a whim than I was before as there are more options to treat a low (temp basals etc), whereas before I probably would have waited at least a half hour to 45 minutes before testing again to see if the sugar "worked" and may have been sky high by that point. <shrug>

4. Miike

Miike Approved members

I so hate waking with a low.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just to clarify for other members who may not know, there are syringes available that allow you to give 1/2 unit doses of insulin.

Again, just to clarify for other members, you don't need to wait 30-45 minutes after treating a low to re-check bg. In fact, it is important to check around 15 minutes after treating a low to make sure that the bg is coming up.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Remember this is an adult, and I think that they were trying to save a finger poke. They waited to retest in 30-45 minutes so that they would have an accurate number to bolus off of if they ended up higher than they wanted the treatment to take them.

And yes here is now a 6mm 1/2unit marking syringe.