- advertisement -

Radiation treatment?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So I have read here and there, but am not sure.

Do people?children need to be physically aprt from someone that has just had radiation for a brain tumor?

my FIL starts treatment next week, having an appointment this week with details, but I want to know now so i can figure out child careand the such since my littlest should be in their home while I am in school.

They have a big house with a downstairs, surely that would be OK during this treatment time? They will be having an "extra family member" there to help with my little one and with all the other little things that take time away from the home.

I feel like such a burden right now, dropping my little ones off and going to school. Yet I KNOW that I can not take the joy of my kiddos away from all of them just because of this.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I have no specific info for your situation but several years ago a family friend had radiation treatment and had two young kids at the time. I remember her telling me that she stayed in the downstairs of their home while her husband cared for the kids upstairs. She wasn't supposed to be directly with them for awhile but they were in the same house.

It is a good question.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

4. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

When my mother received radiation treatments for a brain tumor we were told to keep the children away from her but I do not remember for how long specifically (a day or two is my best recollection).

We traveled to see relatives when my mother completed her treatment and she set off a radiation detector in the airport. It was about six weeks after her final treatment and it was very disturbing.

I am so sorry your family is going through this. It is so difficult.

5. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

My dad had glioblastoma and had brain radiation, gamma knife, and brain surgery. We were never told to keep our distance during treatment.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I think we will find out tomorrow for sure. Maybe it is just the implanted type with the precautions. I hope so because at this time i do not want to limit the time they have left with him, it just isn;t enough. They could learn so much more if given the time.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. It's never easy. I would think having your kids around would add more joy!

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

For me it is weird, I am dropping them off so i can go to school. To me it is a burden to them, but my MIL has told me that she needs thigs to NOT change as much as possible and that her grandchildren help her remember that their life was/is well worth it. KWIM.

My littlest one fed pappa pretzel gold fish today, not because he was not able to but because she wanted to help.

Those are the things that are so worth remembering and buiding upon.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

People are not radioactive after external radiation treatment, so no reason to keep distance. If they have radioactive implants, than they are radioactive and do need to stay away from children.

10. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

When my husband was going through Chemo and the possibility of Radiation we did ask about this since we had a kiddo at home. We were told it was not a problem to have the kiddo around my husband since it would external radiation but if there was an implant we would need them to keep distance.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It is external!

SO we should be good unless the girls are sick since his immune system will be down.

wish us that it helps with extending his life longer than the prognosis.