- advertisement -

R.I.P., Animas Ping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sneakermom, Jun 16, 2012.

1. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

Well, our out-of-warranty Ping bit the dust today (on a weekend of course). Tech support tried CPR, but to no avail. Time of death: 3:30 pm. The rep transferred me to the sales team where I had to leave a message since it's the weekend. I'm not sure if they are going to give us a loner while we figure out the plan, but that's what I am going to inquire about.

While we are in this phase of forced pump vacation, I'd love to hear what everyone loves and dislikes about their pump brands. We've been with Animas for a long time, but I am not opposed to making a switch if there is something better out there to look at. We're curious about the t-slim, but would also like to hear thoughts on Omnipod and Medtronic.

If Vibe were already out, it would be no contest. We have a Dexcom and are hoping that the G4 sensor proves to be more accurate. Of course, we'll be in limbo with the rest of you while FDA figures it all out. Oy!

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Try the pod... The remote is great. Had we not stayed with the pod, the ping would have been our nex tchoice because of the remote function. Seeing the info on a screen is very useful without having to touch the pump.
    At night setting a temp basal and bolusing Without finding a pump pack is important to us.

Tslim seems cool for older kids, but with a young child, IMO a remote where you can see the info is important for us.

3. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We love our pod couldn't imagine using anything else. Been happily podding for 4 plus years now.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

We love the Omnipod and started using it close to your little one's age. We have never used a different pump though so I can't compare in that way. The remote (PDM) is very easy to use and intuitive. The customer service is excellent. I have read on other threads here that they are having a "cut the cord" special that they are running right now. The set up fees are much less than other pumps but the pods themselves are where the cost comes in. I like the fact that there is no tubing and the pods are water proof which is great for bathing and swimming and water activities. Check out their website for more specifics. They will send you a trial pod on request. I also like the fact that we don't have to deal with how she would wear the pump, such as using a spibelt or having pockets etc.

5. sneakermom

Two questions for those on Pods:

1. Have you ever "misplaced" the remote? That's a big fear of mine.

2. Do you leave the remote in the clinic during the school day versus having them carry it around at school?

Thanks!

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

We have never misplaced it. It lives in her care kit which is a Hello Kitty lunch bag and contains her other D stuff and is always where she is. It is bright pink (the Hello Kitty bag) so it is easy to spot. It is second nature to have it with us at all times now. It does usually remain in the nurse's office during the school day and she goes there to test and get her lunch bolus. The PDM also acts as the meter so no separate meter is necessary. The number is automatically there in the PDM for it to calculate how much insulin is needed. Hailey is ten now, and can change the pod herself as well as test and bolus by herself ( of course we supervise everything) .

I would say the only down side for us for the pod is sometimes there is an early pod failure or a pod might become loose and have to be taped on or replaced, but that is rare and a small point when you consider how great it is overall.

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

The PDM case contains the PDM, insulin, test strip container, alcohol wipes, lancets or drums for the multiclix, and we also keep the multiclix there. In her care kit there is an extra pod, glucose tabs, the Calorie King book, the glucagon kit, and we used to carry novalog and levimere pens but we don't do that anymore. We also have some ID info in there etc.

The pod also has automatic insertion so you don't see the needle and automatic priming. Here is the link http://www.myomnipod.com/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. caspi

caspi Approved members

When my son was younger, we left the PDM with the nurse during the day as he had to go there for every BG check and bolus. Now that he's in middle school he carries it with him. We've never misplaced it. It stays in his D bag that he always has with him.

9. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

We are still thinking about the pump also. When we talked to the endo about it she said the only drawback she saw to the pod was that if our insurance ever decided they were not going to cover pump supplies that it would be about 30 dollars every time you have to change it as supposed to about 2 dollars. Wondering if anyone else has had problems with or anticipates problems with this? Sorry to hijack the op...

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

If the Animas Vibe were available in the US I think this would be a no-brainer. We switched to Medtronic for the integrated CGM. I still like Animas better though, mostly because I was used to it and liked the big screen and the menus you could easily scroll through.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

The t:slim is coming out in August (taking orders now I guess) and that is an option. They have signed an integration agreement with Dexcom.

That pump isn't out yet but there are some threads from those who have seen it.

12. sneakermom

This is soooo on our list of serious contenders, Carol. I'm a little nervous about a brand new technology with no patient/endo feedback out of the gate though. It seems that they have some wonderful things to offer with this device--especially knowing that they have a solid agreement in place with Dexcom. I'm just impressed with how quickly the company was able to make headway with the FDA. This seems to be a trouble spot for so many of the larger companies.

13. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

We have been on the pod for about a month now. We had trouble with our first PDM glucose meter. I seemed to read really low. (I know there is a 20% variance allowed, but 20 pts is too much for my comfort level). I kept in contact with our sales rep and she forwarded all my emails to customer service. They ended up calling me and they sent me a new PDM when I told them I didn't feel comfortable using it. The new one seems to read better. We were manually putting in BG numbers, at first thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was actually getting tired of it. Just seems like an extra step we didn't need to do. I found that even though it takes very little blood, it gives a more accurate reading when you have a bigger blood sample (when comparing it to our other meters). We have lost a couple pods too. He bumped into a wall and it deactivated it. Even though the cannula was still inserted, and it was securely taped down. There was no way to reactivate it. Now we know not to let it bump into anything. Overall, we are very happy with OmniPod and happy we went with them. Customer service has been good. We had one Pod that wasn't good, and they sent me a new Pod with our new PDM. We are still learning the whole "pumping technology".
    We have never misplaced our remote. Have never forgotten it when we go out. When he was at school, (he was only there 7 days on the pump) he has a bottom zipper on his lunch bag and he put his PDM in there. I'm not sure what he will do next year. He'll be in 6th grade. Thanks for this post. I'd like to know what others do as well.