- advertisement -

Quilt For Life - Please Participate!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

:) This is a vital project to show our lawmakers and the public at large the faces of the people who need a cure for diabetes.

The Quilt for Life now has 442 panels. We need many more in preparation for a showing at the Mall in Washington, D.C. on June 8, 2006 near the Capitol. Please consider making a panel.
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/quilt/
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pressreleases/QFL200601.htm
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/quilt/quiltsubmission.htm

I can't sew but I was able to put together a quilt by ironing on the message that my son needs a cure for diabetes. Please join us and make a commitment to add a quilt to the Quilt for Life.

This discussion can help answer your questions about how to make one if you need assistance. We hope that you will make one and submit it the Children With Diabetes by May 10, 2006 so your quilts can be displayed in Washington DC this summer.

We need quilts from the US and around the world.

View the quilts online here: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/quilt/

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could get full participation from all who enjoy CWD and these forums?

Please respond on the forum and say YES I'm going to create a quilt for the Quilt for Life.

[​IMG]

2. Jana

Jana Approved members

Thanks for the kick...

I've been meaning to get started, and now I have a big reason to get my butt in gear. The kids and I will hit the fabric store today. I'm happy to hear that the Quilt for Life is coming to DC!

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How's your quilt coming along Jana? Any words of advice to those who are hesitating to make one?

4. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

I'll start this week!

I actually went to a quilt shop last week and got some advice, (very intimidating to see what they can do). I've picked out fabric and just need to get started! I've never made a quilt before, but I have a sewing machine and I'll give it my best shot!
    Anything I can do to help bring attention to the need for a cure is worth my time!!!

5. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Thomas is also going to make on this week. We are on spring break so we have lots of time to work on it.

6. Jana

Jana Approved members

Gabriel's quilt is nearly done. I changed my mind a few times about what I wanted to do. In the end, we picked colors and fabrics that Gabriel really likes...So...the quilt will have a cow back and border and some pretty bright fabrics on the front. It's loud, but Gabriel is running around saying "moo cow" over and over again and clapping. He seems to like it, and it looks very much like a baby or toddler quilt. After all, he was dx'd at a very young age, and he's only two now.

I was nervous about getting started, but I shouldn't have been. There are so many different ways to get the project done. If you are worried or don't know how to begin, just ask the people at your local sewing or craft store. They are almost always extremely helpful and nice (I'm constantly asking for advice). If you don't sew at all, there are tons of letters and graphics you can iron on, and there are techniques to putting quilts together with little or no sewing involved. Plus, you can always ask a friend or family member to help. A 3x3 quilt is not a large project, and I'm sure that others would be happy to assist you...maybe even others on the CWD website? I'm not an avid quilter, but I've been sewing for years and would love to help.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. jonathans_mom

jonathans_mom Approved members

Got It Started!

I have got it started. It will be finished soon. I have a Question though...Can we go to Washington? Where would I need to get info about that?

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Everyone is certainly welcome to come to Washington on June 8th for the showing of the Quilt on the Mall.

If you want to come, I would recommend that you book a room immediately at the hotel of your choice. The ADA's annual Scientific Sessions conference is in town the same time and that will book most hotel rooms in the downtown DC area. To save money, I would look at a suburban hotel that is on a Metro line, such as the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington or something like that. Expect hotel rooms to be expensive.

I will be posting information online at the main CWD web site and here about volunteers sometime in April. We need volunteers, and are hoping that local families will be able to join us at dawn on June 8 to help set up the quilt and stay for the day.

9. jonathans_mom

jonathans_mom Approved members

:eek: don't know if I can swing that place or not!!! It is $299 night! I definately do not have that kind of money. On the other hand we may stay a little further out.
    Thanks For Letting Us Know!

10. isaiah268m

isaiah268m Approved members

When do the quilts have to be in?

Ellen,

Thanks for posting this! I couldn't locate when the quilt submissions have to be in, do you have that information?

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Certainly the quilt will continue to grow and quilts will be accepted at any time. However, I believe, in order to be exhibited in Washington, DC this summer, Jeff is hoping to receive the quilts the first week of May 2006.