- advertisement -

quick setter infusion sets - painful for your child??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandapanda1980, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I was just wondering if any of you with young children struggle with this...my daughter is 4 1/2 and everytime we change the site its a whopping 10 min of hard crying and complaints of how bad it hurts. Its almost as if it hurts more after its in than the initial poke. Were new to pumping and I know adjusting takes time but it breaks my heart...she was so good with using her humulog pen and syringes...makes me miss it with how much it hurts now. And when I have to change the set yesterday then again today because of one thing or another it makes it even harder. We really like the sure t's I think they're called...they're on order and will be here soon, but until then we have to go through these quick sets. Anybody else notice their little ones struggling with them as well?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry that she's struggling. Could you get a prescription for numbing creme? We use it for every site and sensor change, and it's a life-safer for us.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. mandapanda1980

Ooo didn't even think of that - genius! Thanks :)

4. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

You can also try ice. We have recently switched from the cream to ice. Leave it on for about 10 minutes. I just put one small cube in a ziplock bag.

We had a really hard time at first. For over a year I changed his sets with the cream and while he was sleeping.

It was really hard to deal with--with the crying, we both would end up crying.

Hope you find a way to make it easier on all of you.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

No, my kids had no problems with Quick-sets. Are you putting it in a fatty area? We also would pinch up around the inserter to try to avoid hitting muscle.

6. mandapanda1980

Putting it in her butt...and yes, I'm pinching as well.

Ice may work...don't know if she would let me hold it there for so long but worth a try!

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Are you using the 6mm? We found the quicksets to be much less painful than the diagonals.

8. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T was on quick sets for a very long time. She usually did cry when it came to changing sets. We chalked it up to not wanting to do it. We switched to Mios in Aug and we do not get the amount of crying and "stinger" site reports. We get a lot more "tickle" sites. DH used quick sets for a long time, too, and just switched to Mios as well. He told me the Mios do not have the "sting" as the quick sets.

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We use the numbing cream and Spongebob!! It's really helps my son to be distracted when we change him. So, no matter who else is watching TV he gets to watch Spongebob while we change his site. It really relaxes him. A lot of the crying may just be fear of the pain rather than pain itself. And the crying after may just be a release from the stress. It takes time for it to become routine, but finding ways to make it as relaxing as possible can help. My son likes to help unwrap the components needed for his insertion site, and also likes to remove the paper backing from the tape once it's on. Getting kids involved may make it a little more interesting and less scary. But I'm always careful not to let him see the insertion needle on our infusion sets (Inset 30)--gosh that thing looks long!

My son will sometimes complain of pain on the first bolus after we change a site. Does anyone else notice this in their kids or know what it is??

10. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

My son complains of pain with the first bolus after a site change too. Not sure why...

11. mandapanda1980

Yes, it is the 6mm.

And just got a call from my educator...sending in a prescription request for the numbing cream. Silly q...but I use I.v. prep before putting on the set..do I do the cream before the I.vv. prep?

Also my dd HAS to watch. Its worse if she doesn't. She always watched her syringe pokes as well. Distractions hardly work.

Also no, I've never noticed pain for first bolus. Hmm

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The creme needs to sit on top of the skin for 60-90 minutes. We put a band-aid over it during that time. Then you wipe the creme off with a wet paper towel, dry the site, and use the IV Prep. :)

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

To the OP, yes try the numbing cream. Ice or a cold spoon also works, but not as deeply (although I would only leave it max 1-2mins tops). Distraction also works. And my son's favorite - 1001 kisses and hugs.:rolleyes:

This could be from the insulin being too cold or from the rate of delivery of the insulin (you can change that in the pump).

14. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor used to complain that the Quik-Sets hurt for a few minutes after insertion. We've never tried numbing cream because he absolutely hates creams or lotions of any kind. He barely tolerates a little Neosporin on a cut.
    Our solution was to switch to the new Mios. He says he hardly feels them go in and likes them so much better.