- advertisement -

Quick-Set recall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jul 7, 2009.

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

My ds's letter, information and first box of 10 arrived yesterday via UPS. The letter states it's a voluntary recall.

2. Tena

Tena Approved members

Because we get ours from A+, we only got a letter from MM today, no box.
    I just got off the phone with A+ and Danielle said they would not have any sets until Tuesday. I have two boxes that I need to return to them.

However, Emily's pump died this morning. She was priming a new set (still using lot 8) and it shot about 50 units out. Tried and new set and it did the same thing again. Pump reset itself, then gave an A33 error. MM said the error tells them the priming sensor was bad. Can't help but wonder if the bad sets had anything to do with this. Danielle at A+ also told me that she had another call today from someone who got the same error message today too. What do you think?

They are sending a replacement pump overnite with 2 individual sets. I told them I have boxes of unused sets that I had rec'd from them before going to A+ so they are supposed to send me a box next week.

3. DebbieR

DebbieR Approved members

I received the first batch of replacement boxes from Edgepark today after placing the order on Wednesday. Very impressed, excellent service, and in time for camp as they promised me.

4. pdhartsock

pdhartsock Approved members

I have a box from a year ago...it was sent as a replacement after my son went into DKA in a very short timeframe. When I said I thought it was the pump or the connection, they said it was probably a bad box of infusion sites. Then they send me this box. We went off the minimed pump at that point and then switched to Animas. Last I saw they are reporting no injuries or deaths resulting from the faulty infusion sites. They do have at least one in my son and I'm sure others will pop up. It only took a couple hours of the not receiving enough insulin on the pump before he went into DKA....scary.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Am I missing something here? I thought Unomedical was the manufacturer of Quick Sets (along with most other infusion sets). Why is MM issuing the recall?

6. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I don't know how recalls work but since MM distributes them for use with their pumps and their customers are the ones being affected, I can see why they would want to do a recall to make sure it is handled correctly rather than waiting for the maker to do the recall.

It is a voluntary recall so maybe that makes a difference.

7. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

8. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

confused about the priming issue

How does the pump send out 30 or 50 units of insulin by accident while priming? Does it keep priming after you let go of the button when you see the insulin dripping out the cannula???? This confuses me. Of course, all of our sets are lot 8.

9. Tena

Tena Approved members

This is exactly what happened with Emily's pump. After she let go of the button the insulin just kept coming out shooting all over the place. MM said it was the priming sensor that went out. Just seems odd that it happened at just this time.

We rec'd our replacement pump this morning. Thank God!! One day of MDI was more than enough for me. I had forgotten how tedious and consuming MDI was. Glad she is back to pumping. However we only rec'd 2 ind. sets with the pump, so hopefully we will get a box on monday. Trying to be patient but wearing thin.

10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I have experienced the A33 error as a former MM pumper. In terms of pump-ruining errors or alarms, I think this error is by far the most common. Some of my diabetic friends have experienced this problem too in the past.

I don't think it was the sets, at least in my opinion.

Oh yeah, what sucks about that error is that you can't get out of the prime mode. I could not write down my basals or my pump history because of this, which is ridiculous. A download of the defective pump did work, so if you are worried about losing data, you need to do that right away.

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Melissa was a new pumper when they came out with those horrible "new and improved" Quicksets. You didn't have a choice of staying with the old ones and it took them weeks to finally admit that it was not user error that was constantly kinking the cannula. They kept reprinting the instructions on their website and they used the same inserter! I was so angry and frustrated that I wanted to take her off the pump. They did send me different sets to try while they finally figured out that all of us were not doing something wrong. It took a long time to replace them all then also. I really have not trusted Minimed since then because they were being inundated with calls and still wouldn't recall them. I even had one rep crying along with me out of frustration because she was listening to these calls all day long.

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

You all are getting a box of Quicksets with a letter? I haven't gotten anything! I had no idea about this until I saw the threads here. :mad: I am surprised the reps at FFL didn't mention anything...there were so many of them too.

I had loads of issues in Florida this last week...I brought an entire box of infusion sets(unopened, 10 sets), and I only have 1 left (...it was so frustrating). All sorts of weird things...from random high BGs(resulting in moderate-large ketones), no delivery alarms, and issues with it not connecting when I would try to re-connect (after swimming, for example). I know the last thing is not mentioned as an 'issue'....but what the heck?

I only have 1 quick-set left...and I am due to do a site change tomorrow. I will be calling first thing in the morning, but it sounds like they aren't sending out new boxes very fast. I hope they can overnight something...

13. Denise

Denise Approved members

they will overnight it. Do you get ur supplies directly from MM?

14. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Yes, I usually order through their online store.

15. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Definitely call them tomorrow. It's very possible your package will come tomorrow but call to check. Is it possible they would have sent it to a dif address?

16. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I have not seen anything from MM or Aplus and I have been getting the run arround from both when I call.

Also since some of the 8's that I have were donated to me when I lost my insurance, so I did not get them thu MM or a 3rd party supplier, so I may just have to chunk all of them !:mad:

17. Tena

Tena Approved members

Received one box of quicksets Lot 9 this morning!!!! Sent back 3 complete boxes and 8 individuals of lot 8 with the UPS man when he dropped the new sets off.

18. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

This scares me!

We had 5 boxes in this recall. We have also been having some unexplainable numbers. I almost had to take my daughter to the ER while we were on vacation due to high sugars and high ketones. Now after this recall I wonder if this is why.

19. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Between DD and DH, we have 13 1/2 boxes of QuickSets! We order ours from Byram so we need to contact Byram directly. Only one box did NOT have a lot number starting with 8:eek:!

20. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I finally called today to ask about getting sets. The letter was confusing it stated that they had no record of me ordering quicksets in the past 6 months so they were not sure if I needed replacements. I get them automatically shipped every 3 months. I have 5.5 boxes of lot 8 and the one replacement box. I asked if I could get one more box sent because the replacement box wouldn't last me 3 weeks. I was first told no- because of how widespread the recall was they were getting everyone 1 box first then they would send 1 every 3 weeks. Then she asked how many boxes I had so I told her 5.5 of lot 8 and 1 replacement box I got friday. I told her 1 box can't last me 3 weeks. So she finally said she could put in for 1 box to be sent. I don't even care if they're quicksets- I just wants to be able to safely pump. Then I need to send mine back and they will send the other 3 boxes in 3 week intervals. Do we not get the individual sets replaced? I know I should be getting a regular shipment too, but it as just said "in process" for the past week. I'm guessing the recall is making it take longer.