- advertisement -

Quick-Set recall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

I'm surprised MiniMed didn't contact everyone? They know who has what supplies I should think.

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

They are contacting everyone. They are sending out a box of replacement quicksets with a letter explaining it all. They just also put it on the website to explain and that's how we know before our replacements arrived. Some people have gotten boxes already. I imagine there are many, many boxes to send out!!!

3. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Here's what I found to be strange. Grace's supplies ALL come to me. Her father received the 'notice' from Minimed about the recall, while I received nothing. ??? So last night I called him to talk to him about the recall, since I just looked at Grace's supplies here, and ALL her sets here are lot 8. He says, "I already called Minimed and took care of what I had." I said, "don't you think we should have coordinated so they don't get suspicious when they have to deal with two people trying to get replacements under one name?" He immediately jumps to the conclusion that I'm using her sites and says, "do they have a reason to be suspicious?"

I'm sitting here thinking... "ask ANYone on CWD... I do NOT use her sites... I have asked for help with them SO many times over the past 4 years..." Grrr..

And in the meantime, the website said they are sending out one replacement box per 3 weeks. um... hardly enough to get by, let alone restock her supply we had sitting in the cupboard. I have 3 full boxes and 6 individuals, I don't know how many he had at his place. *sigh*

4. bgallini

Ugh! I can see why he's your EX!!!

I wouldn't worry about minimed being concerned about who's got which supplies. They are having us send the Lot 8 boxes to them so there shouldn't be any problem with some of them coming from you and some coming from the X. If I were you, I'd complete the online form with the info of what you have at your house.

We basically have the same situation here except that some of Alex's supplies are here and some are at college. He'll have to arrange to have those replaced in Sept. I'm a bit worried that this first set of replacements and the letter are sitting in the college post office as I type. I tried calling MM today and didn't get thru to anyone, so I emailed them. I figure I'll wait til tomorrow afternoon to see if UPS brings us the package here...then call MM if it doesn't. I guess I can have Alex call the post office today to see if they have it.........:confused:

5. adamsmom

adamsmom Approved members

Ok, so I just got my box of replacement insets and the letter, then logged on here, knowing it'd be a discussion thread! Here's my question: What address do we send the insets to? The letter is from an address in CA but the shipments I get from medtronic (and the UPS box that came today) have a KY address...the return label they sent us is just a bar code. We had 8 unopened boxes btw and I am sending them all back. For the amount of $ we pay for them, they should be replaced 100%. :eek:

6. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

30 units delivered while priming????

Beware everyone, there are other problems with the pump itself that can cause this! I had the pump shooting out a bunch of insulin while priming (not 30 units, but a strong sudden squirt of a bunch of insulin), ignored it and one day got an error. I called the helpdesk and they said it is a problem with the pump and needs to be replaced. I asked if I could use it until I got my replacement pump and they said NO, it could over-deliver. If you have the same issue with the new sets, call the helpdesk!

7. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

UPS just dropped off a box from minimed containing one box of quicksets and a letter. The letter explains the why they recalled the sets, gives 4 steps to take, and says if you don't have an adequate supply of quicksets to let them know. There are two other sheets explain everything else that is on the website.
    I'm about to call them because there is no way one box will last me 3 weeks.
    I'm going to take a guess and say their offices are in CA, but the supplies come from KY. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
    The return label that came with mine says Ship to:
    scott foster
    (502)961-7393
    door 326
    1860 outerloop hwy
    louisville ky 40219

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  8. Denise

Denise Approved members

I lost about 30 units of insulin during a priming once and didn't know where it went and the help desk guy basically told me that I was wrong and that it wasn't missing..that it was IN THE TUBING...my 23 inch tubing somehow olds 30 units of insulin...:rolleyes: when I prime about 8...:rolleyes: I know I am new to pumping but I KNOW that the tubing can't hold 30 units!

9. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

The exact same thing happened to me, and since I was not paying attention:p, almost my whole reservoir was suddenly empty, and I don't know where the insulin went. Because I did not pay attention, I thought it was me.

10. Denise

Denise Approved members

seems to me like the rep could have been a bit more attentive to me and perhaps we could have seen this problem solved a bit sooner than NOW. They really ought to not brush people aside like they did me....something really could have been wrong with our pump or the set!

11. candise

candise Approved members

Thanks guys- all our sets are LOT8- we logged on and requested new ones- we have to do a site in a few hours with one- stinks!!

12. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

We didn't know anything about the recall until UPS delivered the package yesterday. All of Matt's quicksets are Lot 8, including the four boxes we just received last week. Like this poster, the quandry is whether to return all of them at once because I don't know if one box will last until the next one shows up. :( I guess we could hang on to a few of the loose ones.

To add to the stress, our insurance changed on July 1. After 20 years with Kaiser Permanente, we are now with United Healthcare. All the levels of coverage are the same, but we have to have the prescriptions switched over. Thank goodness his endo works with the new health care plan, but my hair is getting grayer by the day!

13. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Is it a class one recall?

If so, that sucks, and it means that the sets were flawed bigtime.

About six years ago, there was a new set called the Quick set Plus, and several people ended up in DKA as a result of multiple sets kinking. MM had to do a class one recall, and by federal law, users of the quickset plus had to send back all their boxes back to MM.

I had just became a pumper prior to this happening, and my endos office was pushing the quickset pluses, but they were very uncomfortable for me. I'm glad I didn't get to experience this problem.

14. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I think the priming issue may be a separate problem. I have had this before. When priming there is a sensor that senses the end of the reservoir and when this sensor goes out, the pump just keeps pushing insulin out looking for the end of the reservoir but not finding it. I was told this sensor is only used in priming (not bolus or basal or even fixed prime). They had to replace the pump.

I think an earlier poster who mentioned her son getting 30 units on a fixed prime was not really talking about the fixed prime because that would mean her son actually got 30 units. (Fixed prime being the one that fills the cannula, not the tubing)

Also, 2% isn't 2 per box but 2 per 10 boxes in case you are going to use the boxes you have and want to know the odds.

Anyway, I am not happy about this surprise UPS box that I got today and the thought of sending all my boxes back at once. But I am grateful for this site where I could come and know there would be a thread about it.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned the ones at school. School is out but the nurse let me leave them there over the summer and I had forgotten about those. I have some out in the car and I think my daughter has some in her overnight bag she uses when she spends the night at friends.

15. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Actually it happened when he did the prime, it shot out about 30 units. Was not attached. I was told by minimed rep that this also happened to a minimed employee and that is when they began to investigate the issue. The 30 units coming out should not have happened, it happened three times. I believe this was an issue in the recall.

16. candise

candise Approved members

We got our new box in time to change her site today. The bummer was that the first two infusion sets we used would not reattach after swimming. We had this happen last month and when we called they said sometimes they get off kilter and will not attach. After a little bit of a fight with cutomer service- they are sending us a whole new box. So 3 site changes in one day does not make for a happy kid or mom!!

17. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I can't help but wonder if the reason we had so many no delivery issues with Justin's MM722 earlier this year was because of of a faulty lot of quick sets he was using at the time rather than what we thought was an over sensitive replacement pump MM sent us. Justin primarily uses sureT's now but still prefers to use a quick set every now and then in certain areas and it seemed to take longer than usual to get his most recent box of quick sets to arrive (lot #9) in the mail. Being MM is in the middle of a recall pretty much explains the delay in getting the new ones.

18. Bobbie

Bobbie Approved members

I'm so glad to be able to go to this website when things like this happen. I got the notice yesterday and was upset because I have 4 boxes of the LOT 8 and they only gave me 1 box. I see how wide spread this is and begin to understand the gravity of the recall.

This also could explain the high's we have been experiencing for the past month with no solution. Once I changed to the new sets her numbers have been on the lower end. I guess now I need to be concerned about all the changes I have made in the past month :(

19. zell828

zell828 Approved members

APlus told us they are sending out letters/stickers for postage paid to have people send theirs back next week.

Bio Mom's house got the Medtronic UPS with one box today. We don't get from Medtronic directly anymore but I am still tempted to send some back to them anyway since we have the sticker. We just got our first 3 boxes in Oct 2008 from them and they must have kept us on their list.

We are keeping the box open yet on hand just in case too. I'm afraid we won't get our boxes we had stocked up back either. :(

20. bgallini

The label they sent has the address on it. There is a huge barcode (and 2 smaller ones) but the address is up at the top. It's a KY address. It's a UPS 2nd Day Air label.