- advertisement -

Quick-Set recall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

This is part of what they say the problem with the insets are:

"Too Much Insulin Can be Delivered
    ?Changes in air pressure could cause too much insulin to be delivered when using an infusion set that does not vent properly.
    ?A rapid change in air pressure may cause a significant over delivery of insulin that may not be detected until after it has occurred.
    ?Examples where an increase in altitude can change air pressure include when an airplane is taking off, and when traveling from sea level to a higher elevation, such as driving up a mountain."

Go to the minimed site to find out more about the recall and what all the problems are. Going to a higher altitude place would make me nervous so I'd probably call minimed or whoever and ask them to overnight a new box or even a box of another type of set if they can't do the quicksets right now.

2. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

I also spoke with a minimed rep today at the endo office. She said the problem is because of the lubricant used and it is causing a vent issue which could cause too much or not enough insulin to come out. This issue was found by an employee when he was doing a fixed prime. We also had this problem not to long ago and twice recently. When Tim did his fixed, it would shoot out about 30 units of insulin. We should have reported it, I just thought Tim was doing something wrong. I was told they have no reports of it happening while attached, but also that it would not show up on the delivery history.
    She also said that all minimed customers (or maybe she said users, not sure) would be getting a letter with a replacement box to start. So don't be surprised if you get a box, UPS, prior to contacting them.
    Oh she did say there could be issues with this when dealing with higher altitudes and flying.

3. Denise

Denise Approved members

oooh my goodness...and here the customer service rep was telling me I was WRONG about us losing 30 units of insulin when this could have been this issue?!

4. Denise

Denise Approved members

Ok so here's the deal. Molly's site change is due TODAY...but the new ones are coming TOMORROW. Do we change out the site tonight and rechange it when the new ones come in? I'd prefer to wait a day..her numbers have been great but should I push it another day?

5. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I think I would try and wait another day.

I have had two horrible days in the last month or so, running 600 or HI on the meter, multiple site changes, large ketones, shots of insulin on top of it all and taking forever to come done, this happened two weeks ago and then again on Monday. I used both Sils and Quicksets when I was having the issues, first time it was two quickset, then I put in a Sil and everything started working like it should, then Monday, I started out Sunday evening with a Sil, ran high all night, changed to a QS on Monday morning , problems all day, changed the set again, put a QS in and everything is good.
    I just got a replacement pump a few weeks ago, not sure if it is the pump, the sets, or me :confused:

Calling MM

6. Tena

Tena Approved members

ok what do I do? We live in south Texas and are going to Colorado very soon. I do have about 6 sets that are lot 0 (replacements of bad sites 2 weeks ago) I have 5 BOXES of lot 8. Do I need to let her keep using the 8's and only use the Lot 0's when we go to the mountains?

A+ did not know anything about the recall when I called them this morning. She said she needed to contact the manufacturer and find out what to do.

I think 3 of the boxes I have came from MM but 2 are from A+.

Emily has also been running elevated the last cple of months. In fact her basals have been raised so much she is actually getting an extra 10 units per DAY!

Any advise what to do? Call MM? Was supposed to order new supplies from A+ on Monday, but the lady I talked to this am said ALL of their stock in Lot 8.

I don't know what to do.

7. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Call Minimed no matter who sent you the quicksets Minimed will exchange them for new ones, and are probably the fastest way to replace

8. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

Same problem here...ds numbers are good so I'm just gonna do site change when my replacemnts get here.

9. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Not true, if you got them from an outside supplier, you have to get them replaced with them. I spent an hour on the phone with, MM, testing out my pump and stuff to see what could be causing my problems, since I dont use just QS, buts Sils too, and I have to get my sets replaced by Aplus, since that is where I got them. Last time I got sets from MM was over a year ago, I am going to call Aplus in the morning and see what they say and see.
    I have 8 boxes of QS and almost a full box of loose ones.
    At least I have some Sils and QS that start with the #2, so I do not have to use the ones with 8.

10. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

We've experienced the SAME THING with some recent fixed primes. I really thought nothing of it but now I am nervous. All of our boxes are lot 8.

We get supplies from Edgepark. Has anyone talked to them yet?

11. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Minimed did not replace mine, because I got them from A+!

12. Jensmami

It happened with me too, with the regular prime, suddenly there was no insulin in the reservoir anymore, and I did not know where it went. I thought it was me, because I was stressed.:p

13. TripleThreat

weird i just got all mine replaced threw Minimed, and i get them from local Pharmacy. Had 20 boxes

14. Jensmami

Did you tell them you get it from the pharmacy? Maybe it is because A+ does not get them from Minimed either, there is another party involved.

On a different note, how can you all stock up on so many sets?????? I barely a box extra? Do you get more then a box per month?

15. TripleThreat

Yes the first question they asked was where i got them, I told them our local safeway pharmacy.

Then i was asked for the lot numbers and quantity from the boxes they said they would ship today.

Prescribed a set change every 2 days so 2 boxes a month

16. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I think the difference is that you are in Canada ,in the USA,we can not get our pump supplies at the pharmacy, we have to order direct from MM or an outside supplier, depending on insurance, so Minimed handles things differently than they do for us in the USA.
    Like the Contour/OneTouch meter things.:rolleyes:

17. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

TripleThrea has 3 pumpers, so that would add up,LOL

Some of my extras came from donations from other pumpers, when I lost my insurance.:cwds:

18. Livie's Mom

Livie's Mom Approved members

I received a new box today from Meditronics shipped next day by UPS and we don't even use these anymore - We switched to silhouette's two months ago.

19. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

I ordered supplies on the 24th and have been waiting for them...and waiting...and waiting. I had to call my CDE before the 4th to get a few more because of the wait. Now I know why I'm waiting. :mad:

All I have left are 8's.

I need some more!!!

She leaves for camp in a couple of weeks. There is a mandatory amount that she needs to bring to that. I will not send her on MDI there because the whole point is for her to learn about doing this herself.

Diabetes sucks.

20. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I would tell Medtronic your situation. They have to make exceptions to their regular policy on certain situations in my opinion.