- advertisement -

Quick-Set recall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex is going to keep using them. He hasn't had any problems that he's noticed. And he's flown in airplanes with them on...which sounds like one of the riskier things to do! :eek: Knowing that they may not be sending out many boxes at once, I think we'll keep more here for back up....but make sure we have a few of the new, safe ones saved for his flight back.

And if the Lot 8 have been around for a couple of years, I bet the ones at school are Lot 8 too! So we'll have to have all those replaced too. What a pain. We've had a hell of a time getting them to send packages to the right places since he's started college (asked them to send one set to college and then asked to switch back to home and they just keep sending them to the college address!)

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I have 4 1/2 boxes with lot numbers starting with 8. I wonder if that is why Tyler was having all those highs (especially while sleeping - on his back with sites on his bum) no matter how many basal adjustments I made. Since switching to MDI last month his number have been SO MUCH better. HMMMMM...now I won't know if it was due to bad sets, or due to something else.

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

AGAIN CWD knows more than everyone else I have been dealing with. THANK YOU!

We just recently had to change Jen's sites 5 times in one 24 hour period!

We had just changed to these. Being on Medicaid, we had to drive for over 1 hour to go to the supplier and pick up some sample sets!(SureTs) Our supplier and our ped endo knew nothing about this recall! The supplier suggested that the problem was my insertion of the sets.

After trying to reach MM and being on hold for over 20 min I just threw the used ones out a couple days ago! (Figured they were right and it was my fault)

We are back to SureTs now. I worry for you guys that are going to keep using them. Maybe it is just a CYA statement on MMs part but this part of the recall warning worries me.:

We recently identified that approximately 2% of "Lot 8" Quick-set infusion sets used with MiniMed Paradigm insulin pumps may not work properly?some of these infusion sets do not allow the insulin pump to vent. This can potentially cause too much or too little insulin to be delivered and may lead to serious injury or death.

My daughters problem was obviously too little insulin. BUT...what if it had been too much???:eek:

I can't imagine treating a low over and over again . I would NEVER have assumed it was the infusion set. Then again I am new to this.

Please be careful....I know it sounds funny since I am fairly new here. But I truly am worried for you.

Thanks again for the information!

4. Tena

Tena Approved members

Called A+

They only have Lot 8. Their entire stock is Lot 8 and they have not heard about the recall. They are supposed to get back with me after they call the manufactorer they said.

I have 4 boxes from MM and 2 from A+ So I am not sure how to go about this. Emily did have a very bad episode about 2 weeks ago. 4 site changes in 1 day. BG over 350 during all that. MM did send some quicksets at that time to replace the bad sites but only got 6.

5. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We ordered our Pump yesterday morning and they told me during that call they recalled the quick set. Which made me sad because we are very comfy useing that set. They said they would be shipping quick sets out again starting in several weeks.

6. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

ACK! We have 13 boxes also....that leaves us just one box! WEIRD unexplained highs here too....wonder if I can really blame the set? I wonder what happens to all those basal and ratio changes I made for the highs?

7. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

I just spoke with minimed and they told me the same thing about the vent issue. Also said it could cause to much or not all the insulin to go through.
    As I look back over the last month, I think this has been happening with Tim.

They are also overnighting us one of our replacements and the next will be shipped on the 29th and then on two week intervals until all are replaced. They were very happy to send one overnight. I feel a lot better about not having to use the ones we have.

8. DebbieR

DebbieR Approved members

We have 13 boxes here as well - I called Edgepark (our supplier) just now and they have placed an order for me for 7 replacement boxes by Friday (from stock in Ohio) and the other 6 to follow. Which is good, as my two leave for two weeks of D-camp this weekend. I said I would settle for a box each if their supplies are low, so we'll just have to see what arrives. We will continue to use the Lot 8 until then.

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I was going to do the online information, but I want some overnighted! Ya know? Ds has some at college too I'm sure. I think he'll have to submit a couple of times for exchanges. I think all we have are lot 8....

10. pookas

pookas Approved members

I didn't know about the recall until UPS just came and delivered a box of lot 9 sets out of the blue w/ a recall letter...hmm JUST got my new shipment last week, 5 boxes of lot 8, used 1 set so far and it is in him. Guess a site change is in order just in case.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Just off the phone... I think for all customers who get straight from Medtronic (we do) the letter and first box are on the way already in the mail. This is what I was told. Makes sense about your shipment just now pookas. They want all the lot 8s back which makes sense shipping will be prepaid.

12. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I filled out the online form last night and then called minimed this morning. The person I talked to had to work with his supervisor but we have 8 boxes to return and have vacation, camp, and school starting up and I don't want to be low. They are going to work with me to get me some more boxes sooner. They did confirm, that I will need to send all 8 boxes back at one time.

13. bgallini

So the letter will come with a replacement box? That is great! I was worried about how long we would have to wait for this.

14. Denise

Denise Approved members

DH called MM...as we have a shipment on it's way already for our monthly order. This is what he was told about our shipment and the replacement for the existing quicksets w/ lot8 we have..

Tomorrow we will get the 1st box of our order and 2 boxes of resevours
    Friday we will get 1 box for replacement
    I will call after today to tell them the # of loose sets we need to replace - and we will get that number later
    7-23 we will be shipped our 2nd box from our original order.

-------

So it sounds like they are doing things as quick as they can. I was told there was going to be a shortage last week and they were spacing out our order for that reason. They prob knew last week the recall was imminent.

15. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I spoke to A+ and Medtronic. A+ gets their supplies from another distributer, I think they only found out about the recall today. Of course I received my shipment today and the Quickset are lot 8......... I don't know what I should do at this point, it will take a while for them to replace them and we leave on Sat for our vacation.

Do you still use the recalled sets? Are you going back on MDI?

16. Denise

Denise Approved members

I contacted a local MM rep that Kitkat has referred me to before. She has been awesome in the past w/ getting back to me. She told me to go ahead and use the ones we have but...

"The chances that you are going to have problems with your current set is very small, but Medtronic always will do the right thing and that is why they are recalling them. We have not had one person report an issue yet from the Lot 8 sets, but we cannot take a chance....so please send back the lot 8 sets and do not use them after the new lot sets arrive!!"

soooo, sounds like they are just taking every precaution necessary...and this is a preventative measure.

17. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I would do what you're comfortable with - but I think my ds would still use the lot 8 ---- on vacation would have backup insulin pens novolog and Lantus. Can Medtronic overnight you a box of 10?

18. bgallini

Are you flying? I wouldn't let Alex fly or go up mountains w/ the Lot 8 sets. But he's going to use them until he gets replacements.

19. Jensmami

We are not flying, but we will go to Albuquerque and the altitude is much higher then here. What is the issue with going high:p:D?

20. Jensmami

We get our supplies from A+ and they have not figured out yet, what they are going to do. On a side note, I just had to get a new transmitter today, and had to pay for it:eek: