- advertisement -

Quick-serter problems

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Hollyb, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi,

My son Aaron is doing great with the Comfort short angled sets for his belly but he needs a few other places for his sites and has twice now tried the Quick-set with the quick-serter on his back hip (the love handle place). It's a really good place for him and we had no problem with the sites but he's gotten gun-shy about using the serter. The first one stung for quite a while; the second was OK but today he got all set to go and then lost his nerve and used a Comfort. His comment: "That serter thing scares the crap out of me!"

I guess it would still be easier to insert a straight-in set by hand than an angled one, but I've read that the Quick-sets have to be put in quickly or they tend to kink, and Aaron's a slow and steady man.

Any suggestions? I just can't see him getting an angled set placed right that far on his backside, and he's a skinny guy without a lot of other options.

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

That's right, what you've read about the quickset getting kinked if not put in fast enough. You definitely need the serter or a very quick hand if you're going to use them. I've found that I really really can't put my sets in places where I don't have much fat. The sides and back of me are very used, I hardly ever put them in the front of my stomach. Since he's so skinny, that's probably the problem. I wish I knew how to offer help, but I've never really been scared of using the serter. At first I was, but after a while I just got used to it. I guess maybe just keep using it, maybe it'll get better after a while? Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck!

3. T_Adelaide

T_Adelaide Approved members

My daughter has only had a pump for a week & a half & she says exactly the same about the quick-serter as your son!! She HATES it. She tried to put a quick-set in manually- it seemed to go fine but her bsls were too high. When we took it out it was bent at right angles <sigh>

4. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

Not pumping yet but...

Our pump start date isn't until June, but we have it and are ready to go. We will be using the Quick-set. The nurse suggested that we use ice to numb the site for a few minutes before inserting. This is probably what we will try first. If he is willing to try this, it may help?!?!?!

Kristi

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I've suggested we use Emla a couple of times just so he has one less thing to think about while getting used to the serter. It's funny; he expected to like it better but I think it's not so much the pain (which was only the one time) as not being able to control the process that weirds him out. It's that, steel yourself, push the button and BLAM! It feels sort of like staple-gunning yourself, I guess.

Good luck to your daughter, TAdelaide!

6. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

I think the quick serter is scary for them because it's spring loaded and is noisy going in.
    Ben manages the site changes just fine but the second he sees the quick serter he flips.
    I've used it myself and it's not sore but is psychologically intimidating for children.

7. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Quickset

We use to use the quickset and even using the inserter still had problems every so often with kinking... We switched to the inset.. This one is cool, it's compact and you always have the inserter with you and great for carrying in your diabetic back and leave at school for issues when they site get's yanked out but a tackle! OUCH!!! They also come in COLORS!:D

Here's the link Since we changed I've noticed Much less issues with the kinking problem... Technique is important as if the insertion site is not dry and you don't push down to make it stick you'll just bill it right back out. It took two or three before we got the hang of it but now works great. It still makes that click nosie but not as bad as the quickset!!
    http://www.animascorp.com/products/pr_infusion.shtml