- advertisement -

Quick Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melflagg05, Mar 15, 2006.

1. melflagg05

melflagg05 New Member

I'm 27 and 29.5 wks pregnant. My O'sullivan test came back at 168 and my doc wants me to do the 3 hour version. However, I wasn't told prior to the first test that I couldn't have orange juice prior to testing and I drank about 6 ounces. Would this cause the results to be artificially high?

Thanks,
    Mel

2. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

I've never had GD or but what I've read I would say that's a little high for a non diabetic result for a GD test. I don't think it would be considered artifical. If you weren't showing signs of insulin resistance then drinking orange juice wouldn't show a higher number, your body would control it with insulin. I think with GD they expect a reading of 120 or lower. So with drinking orange juice and having that number, it would seem that you might have some insulin resistance. The 3 hour might give better results.

3. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

Mel,

How long before did you drink the o.j.? It could elevate your blood sugar a bit, but your body should be reacting fairly quickly to release the insulin to cover it, plus the stuff they gave you to drink as well.

It wouldn't hurt you to do the 3 hour test so they can see how your body is dealing with the resistance that the pregnancy hormones release. It is better to be safe than sorry, especially for your baby's sake.

Even knowing that you have some insulin resistance - hopefully you can change the way and what you are eating to help reduce the insulin resistance, and you only have 11 weeks left - so not a long time to change the way you are eating.

Best of luck to you and your babe,

4. melflagg05

melflagg05 New Member

I believe I drank it about 30 min before I drank the test stuff. But OJ is a refined sugar that is difficult for insulin to break down, that much I do know. I took the 3 hour test today. My fasting blood sugar was 87. Now I just have to wait for the rest of the results. I'm also apparently very anemic. My blood work came back at 10 which is extremely low. I wonder if anemia has anything to do with insulin resistance.

Mel