- advertisement -

Quick discussion with our MM Rep

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by bradclark, Feb 6, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

how is the accuracy at the high and low ends? That's where we seem to have the trouble.

We're getting much much better accuracy if we calibrate during lowish times of BG - like if I catch an 80 that's not moving much ...I tell him to calibrate.. unfortunately, that's not as easy as it sounds LOL.

2. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I meant, what is the needle size comparable to in gauge? Is it slightly smaller in gauge or a lot smaller in needle gauge?

Is the gauge comparable to the gauge of needle used in infusion sets?

3. thebestnest5

I wonder how the new sensor differs in this respect. If we calibrate a steady 80-100, then we see accuracy. If we calibrate a 250--then the sensor is not likely to stay accurate in the 80-100 range.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Exactly. Interestingly, if we calibrate in the low-medium range, we still get good accuracy at high numbers, but if we calibrate high (especially early on in a sensor's life), we do not get good accuracy in the low numbers. The older the sensor is, the less careful we have to be with calibration to get accuracy. Last night I calibrated at an awful time (and actually adjusted the BG I entered for the direction sensor BG was moving, if that makes sense) and the sensor remained very accurate.

5. thebestnest5

Yes, we see the same thing. We also adjust calibrations sometimes-that makes sense.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yes...you can say more .... like you are on your way over to my house with the cgms and a box of these....man I would love that!:p

Bless you for making them a 90 degree insertion.

Are there any product pages up that show them in detail for the overseas sites where they will be sold or not yet? If anything comes up online for public viewing I hope you'll point it out to us.

7. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

The the MM website will be updated when we get the CE mark.

I do not know the exact gauge of the Enlite sensor, but it is smaller than Softsense and the infusion set needle. Very fine gauge. I will be happy to hear how you guys in Europe like the new sensor.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Any guess on how long this sensor is? Since going straight in I would think it is a lot shorter. When do they expect this to be available in the US?

9. HERMSman

I will ask the Engineer tomorrow what the gauge and length are. I recently met the manufacturer of the needle they know too.

I had two more Enlite sensors installed in Clinical this morning....7 day wear! MM is working on it!

Expect Enlite release in OUS (out of US) in early March. U.S. (thank you, FDA) 6 months afterward.

10. hawkeyegirl

HERMSman, any idea where the next gen pump will fit in there? (i.e., release before or after next gen sensor?) Is the Enlite compatible with the x22 and x23 series? Will it be even more accurate with the algorithm in the next gen pump?

Thanks for all your info! MUCH appreciated. :)

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

So if all goes well it would be out in the US by Sept/Oct 2011 then.

I think our insurance will pay for a new cgms every 2 years and his 2 years is up next month. I might be willing to wait for this one if the reports are good but I hate playing the waiting game.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

nice! Can't wait.

good question - but do you think they're going to have a new pump so soon after the Revels hit the market - less than a year ago?

13. hawkeyegirl

Weeeeeeellllllllll, I don't know. Apparently in the early days of the Paradigm series, it was not uncommon for them to come out with a new pump every year. They've been predicting 2nd half FY 2011 for the sensor and the first part of FY 2012 for the next gen pump, so if the sensor is pushed back 6 months, I wonder if they'll push the pump back too, or release them closer together than originally planned.

Basically, I'm really curious about this because we'll be out of warranty in about a year, and I'm hoping there is something new to upgrade to.

I have my suspicions that all of this stuff would get released sooner if Animas would get their integrated pump on the market. As it stands, MM can rest on its laurels as the only integrated pump, which sucks for innovation. It's why I wish Abbott would get their act together on the Navigator too. There's no reason for companies to release new products when there's no competition.

14. HERMSman

NGP is still at least a year away. The Enlite will work with today's transmitter and new algorithms are planned for the Revel pump.

15. hawkeyegirl

When you say new algorithms are planned for the Revel pump, do you mean that there will be basically a Revel v.2.0 that you'll have to upgrade to if you want the new algorithms?

I am not going to be very happy if NGP is not here by April next year.

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

6 day sensor/cgms is in Canada

17. hawkeyegirl

I think MM has said that they're not even bothering with that one here in the U.S. They're going straight to the completely redesigned 7 day sensor (marketed under the name "Enlite.")

18. albasmom

albasmom Approved members

That's soon. I'm so excited. :D

19. HERMSman

NGP is not being released for at least two years or so. Management is still discussing its schedule. We are working with the electronic component manufacturers to make sure we have enough available to build the Revel for a minimum of three more years. I would expect a good time to upgrade the Revel is when we finally get the Veo approved for US.

20. hawkeyegirl

Okay, the following is not directed at you, HERMSman. I know you're just the messenger. :eek:

But the above makes me very, very angry. We were flat out told last year that NGP would arrive early FY 2012. To me that means late summer. This year. Now it's TWO YEARS OUT?! And the vaunted patch pump, which at one time was projected to be out last summer is presumably farther out than that?!

The Revel was a miniscule upgrade from the 522 and for us, the Veo is no upgrade at all. I hear and respond to alarms, so we have zero need for automatic suspension of basal delivery. Not to mention the fact that I believe the only difference between the 522 and the prior pump was the addition of the sensor menus.

I am virtually 100% convinced that the incompetence of the other pump companies when it comes to integrating their pumps with CGM is responsible for MM being able to rest on their laurels for years on end. I mean, I highly doubt it's a coincidence that MM's NGP launch is all of a sudden delayed two years just when Animas and Insulet announced that integration could be that far out for both of them. There's no reason for MM to put anything better out there when the other pump companies aren't either.

Great. This is just freaking super. And given the fact that MM has never come CLOSE to accurately predicting when their next product will launch, I'm sure it will be THREE years at least to the NGP. They are seriously testing my loyalty to stick with a pump that looks like a beeper from 1985. When that smaller Pod comes out, we might be seriously GONE.