- advertisement -

Questions...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Whitney, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Whitney

Whitney Approved members

Hey all! I'm new here. 17 years old with Type I Diabetes. I have some questions and was wondering if others had the same problems.

1) Do your parents make you eat a certain amout of carbs "because it's best for you?" I think it's rediculous because I am not on NPH like my little sister. I take Lantus so should'nt I be able to eat like a normal teen and regular insulin like always??

2) Is it really better to have a pump? My little cousin had a pump and she got taken off of it which I think is absolutely insane. In my opinion I think the pump is the best way to go with the bolus and such. What does everyone else think??

3) What meter works the best? I know everyone has different opinions on what works the best. I use the Freestyle Flash and so does my little sister and cousin. I think we have bought 4 of those meters between my sister and I. Bayer meters, does anyone use those? They do crazy readings on me, 500 one minute and 100 the next.

4) Lantus or NPH? Does one control sugar better than the other? I know with NPH you have to live life by a scedule and with Lantus you are supposed to be able to eat more freely. Even though I am on Lantus my mom still makes me eat 45 carbs and 15 at snack. Eating 3 snacks a day. Ugh! Even though I'm the one on Lantus my sister gets more food than I do. This is crazy! I think I should be able to live the life of a normal teenager as much as possible.

It would be great if you all could answer my questions to the best of your ability. I really would appreciate it. :) I don't know anyone my age with diabetes. Sure would be nice if I could talk to someone my age. Thanks all. :D

*~*Whitney*~*

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not your age -- but some of your questions have common sense answers that all folks with diabetes should be following.

If you are on Lantus and a fast acting insulin, you should be able to eat the number of carbs you want to eat. I would recommend healthy foods -- fruits, veggies, low fat. What goes for the rest of the world applies.

It is generally better to be on the pump -- but it doesn't work for everyone. If you use the pump correctly, you can get really good control -- close to what a person without diabetes can do.

Lots of folks like the Freestyle -- it is so little and convenient.

It is possible to get good control on NPH for some folks, but you have a very rigid schedule to follow. Your mom needs to read up on Lantus -- you don't need to eat all that food -- you can have more some days and less others. All you need to do is adjust the fast acting insulin to match what you ate. You can't quite be a normal teenager, but you can get a little closer than a rigid amount of food. I wouldn't go crazy with eating -- you should have some control over what you eat, otherwise you will run too high.

3. Whitney

Whitney Approved members

Thanks

:) Thank you for answering my questions. That was very helpful on the information you gave me. I am supposed to be checking with my Dr. on getting a pump. I talked to my mom earlier about some things and the reason why I am on so many snacks and such is because my dietition had put things that way. I know I should probably see her again sinse that was well over a year ago.

4. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Well, as far as the eating goes - I had bee taking Lantus for a couple years, and I was able to eat whatever I wanted - and still have good control. I also have been dealing with an eating disorder as well, so I have had to have that extra shove from everyone saying you *have* to eat at least X amount. Eating like a normal teen, though, is definitely a cool thing about Lantus, and should be taken advantage of, in my opinion, because it's a wonderful insulin - if used right.

I was just recently put on the pump - and I *LOVE* it! I have the best control with it than I have anyother time (except during my "honeymoon" period). I believe it was the best choice I could have made for my health.

I agree with Amy C, many many people like the freestyle flash meter, I got to use it once, but only once. I like it because it IS SO dang small. However, my insurance company doesn't cover the cost of the test strips. I have used the Induo, One Touch Ultra, and I currently use the One Touch Ultra Smart. I really like the Ultra Smart, it's been my favorite. It's larger than the One Touch Ultra, but it also has a backlight and other really nice features that the others didn't have. It's really nice for me.

This is a very good question. I have had good control with both insulins. NPH was reallly good when I was homeschooled and didn't have too busy of a schedule and wouldn't have to worry if I would have a snack when I need it for the NPH and all those things. But when I started going to college and all that - my schedule is SO busy alllll the time that Lantus was the only way to go - even then, though it has been really really hard to keep thing under control with the Lantus. The nice thing about Lantus is that - if the insulin ratios are fine - you don't really *need* to "feed" the insulin like with the NPH. So there is no need to *have* to eat a snack or set amount of carbs, just count them and "shoot up" accordingly. Really nice for hecktic schedules.

Anyways, hope that helps. Talk to you later!

Beth

5. glucagirl

glucagirl Approved members

Whoa thats my name too!

OMGosh Ive never heard anybody else named that!:eek: :D LOL:D