- advertisement -

Questions on different pumps and cost

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by TLCTEAM, Oct 25, 2008.

1. TLCTEAM

TLCTEAM New Member

My son's doctor will like him on the pump. He never had a pump before. I was wondering if anyone could provide some information on it. I would like to heard different people feedbacks. Which can help me on which pump my son should get. Below I listed a few questions I had. You do not need to answer each question. Any information you can give will help me.

Who are the best pump companies around and is reliable?
    Which pumps cost less but is still the best?
    Which pump companies has their supplies for less?
    Who has the best features?
    Which pumps are less noticeable? (meaning by size)
    Which pump companies warranty the pumps at 100%
    Who has the best customer support?
    Any lows I should be aware of with the pumps?
    What are the pros and cons on pumps?

Has anyone use any of the following pumps listed below or heard anything about it,

Spirit by Accu Check
    Amigo by Nipro

If you have any other information not mention please let me know. Thanks!

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi and welcome. I would suggest searching the main forum here for pumps and you'll find hundreds of threads on the pros and cons of each type of pump. Most pumps cost about the same but are usually fully covered by insurance (or 80%) and supplies generally are covered the same. Generally whatever pump you choose will work out fine. The big 3 are cozmo, minimed and animas with omnipod coming in probably 4th. Just about no one uses the two you mentioned. Most of us don't even consider those two.

3. TLCTEAM

TLCTEAM New Member

Thank you for the information. I just want my son to have a good pump. I also like to get pump from company who is good and have support help support 24 hours a day.

You are right I have not heard, seen or know anyone using the Spirit by Accu Check
    Amigo by Nipro. They where at the FFL event this past summer. That is the only way I knew about them.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I have never needed technical support with my pump. I would say if you were to need actual technical support it would more likely be with the software and the data cable that connects the pump to your computer. I don’t think cozmo’s after hours clinical support covers the use of the cozmo download software, and do not know what time they are open until.

I called the number right on the back of my cozmo late last night, the menu options were simple and once I heard the right option and choose is someone answered right away. That person takes your phone number and someone calls you back, I believe they are RN’s or they were in the past.

In any situation when I had to call like this it was to get a replacement. They do trouble shoot with you in some instances to diagnose the problem, but the end result is that they hang up with you and someone from the courier company calls you back right a way. In Canada they deal with a specialized courier not just UPS etc. in my case they can have me a pump within an hour, even in the middle of the night if I was to insist on it.

When I see the animas promotional videos and they emphasize what a comfort is to have someone there to help you if you suddenly realize you are unfamiliar with the operation of your pump kind of makes me laugh. I mean you really are in big trouble if you suddenly realize you are unable to operate your pump during or after business hours. I think operating a pump is easier than setting the time on many meters. Generally if you are unable to operate your pump it would be because it had malfunctioned, its great if you can make the arrangements to replace it 24/7.

Keep in mind tech support can’t advise you on what actions to take based on blood sugars, or specifics to do with insertion of sets, or anything directly medical.